U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 01:23 PM

52 posts, read 139,397 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have three kids:
13yrs, 9yrs, and 3yrs old.
I live in Harrisburg, Dauphin County and I am looking for the best school system for my kids. I am looking to relocate and purchase a home. What areas are best? What areas are safest? What school are top rated?
Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 05:03 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,368,983 times
Where are you looking to relocate to?
In Northeast pa, popular scool dsitricts are the Wallenpaupack School District and the Abington Heights School District.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:04 PM

1,512 posts, read 4,556,479 times
I personally think Selinsgrove in Snyder County and Lewisburg in Union County are excellent. They're well within commuting distance of Harrisburg if continued employment is an issue.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:27 AM

59 posts, read 182,102 times
I've got to go with ILOVEPA! on this one. Wallenpaupack is always a top rated school district and Abington Heights is very good as well.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:21 AM

20 posts, read 45,535 times
Can anyone here comment on the quality of Scranton Prep? I know it's a religious school though, but I seem to recall it being pretty good.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurskye View Post
Can anyone here comment on the quality of Scranton Prep? I know it's a religious school though, but I seem to recall it being pretty good.
I sent you a PM, but I didn't address the 'religious' aspect of it! Theology is studied, and there are masses on holy days and other special days, which are held in the auditorium. Prep runs solely on it's own requiring no assistance from the Diocese, so when you see school closings..no worries. I think they are pretty set financially. The school has top notch everything, 'smart' boards in every classroom. They just built a new addition about 2 years ago which has modern chemistry/biology labs as well as a huge auditorium that is as nice or nicer than Radio City! They are currently building a new addition which will house a start of the art gymnasium.
They do have a web-site with lots of info. and pictures if you want to take a peak. Scranton Preparatory School - The Jesuit Prep School of Northeast Pennsylvania

Old 07-14-2007, 09:55 AM

18 posts, read 60,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurskye View Post
I went to Prep and it was amazing. Religion isn't an issue, you have to take it but the first 2 years are more like a history class and the last 2 are more like philosophy. There is the occasional holiday mass, but that's 100% optional, if you aren't Catholic then you just go to the library for a study hall. They have masses during lunch periods in the Chapel, but very few attend.

The teachers are amazing! I cannot say anything bad about any of them, at the time, I could have but now that I look back on it, some were tough and that's how I learned. However, it's definately not as difficult as they make it seem to be. At orientation you'll hear things like "5 hours of reading a night" , but I never spent more than an hour or 2 on homework. They all have different personalities and are very apt to helping and forming relationships with their students. You can go back to visit 5 years later and most of them will still remember you. A few also have Professor positions at the Univ of Scranton. A great plus is AP courses as well as some regular courses give you college credit towards UofS. Without the AP courses I left Prep with 27 credits, I didn't go to UofS so I didn't get them, but if I ever wanted to transfer I'd still have those credits.

The new facilities are amazing! I left as they started the remodel, so i didn't get to experience it but I have been back and everything is better than some university classrooms. They all have black boards as well as smart boards, which is very good if you missed part of a class-- you can just print out the teacher's notes instead of copy someones. They now all have email accounts/web classrooms and is set up very much like a university, where you get all the information before hand and the teachers are accessable. Even when I was there before this major upgrade, teachers would give out their home phone number incase you needed any last minute help with a paper or for a test.

Most the students in my class we very nice, there was never any bullying and if their ever was it was taken care of immediately with either JUG (detention), suspension, or even in some cases expulsion. I'm not going to lie, you need to be at least semi-smart (C student) and willing to work to go there, or else you won't be able to handle it and in some cases you're asked to leave because you're parents are paying a good sum of money for you to go there and you're not getting anything from it. All but 2 students, in my graduating class, went on to higher education. Of those 2 one went to technical school and the other joined the family business.

There are many afterschool activities, which for someone who lives farther away and has to the bus everyday may have difficulty joining. However, most are only once a week or every other week or (some) once a month, so its easy to get a ride. You can also wait to join until you have a car, which many people did. Drama is very popular, they do 2 shows a year-- a play and a musical. Art club, Chorus, Language clubs, Student Council, many different athletics from golf to hockey to track to football, to name a few. You are required to do community service in order to graduate, which you can do on your own or can go on one of about 20 community projects including Mexico, Chicago, and many others including some in Scranton itself.

I cannot say anything bad about Prep. It was a great experience and I made great friends, accomplished great things, and it molded me into who I am today.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:48 PM

GottaLuvMe...
WELL SAID!!!
You definitely gave the 'inside scoop'!
Yes, the plays are awesome!!!!
When I saw Godspell, before my daughter attended, I cried. Really! I couldn't beleive there were that many talented, focused, and truly wonderful kids in one school. It was amazing.

Hey, if you live in Wayne County, there is a private bus, about $1,000. a year extra, that travels from Honesdale, into Waymart, through Lake Ariel, Hamlin, and then off to Scranton. The bus doesn't pick up until about 3:30, so it gives time for after school stuff like clubs, or just sitting in the library doing homework, or a chat with a teacher, or just some time with prep friends.

JUG...better known as detention ....translation...Justice Under God

Old 07-16-2007, 01:49 PM

9 posts, read 18,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post

JUG...better known as detention ....translation...Justice Under God

If you took Greek at Prep, you would have learned that JUG comes from the Greek verb jugo (this looks better with Greek letters but we don't have that font option). The verb traslates "to yoke"; that is, to place a burden on.

Oh yeah, Prep offers ancient Greek as part of the curriculum...get ready to translate the Odyssey.

I currently teach at Scranton High School. The technology and campus are very advanced and the teachers work very hard to instill a great education to a VERY DIVERSE body of students.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:44 PM

994 posts, read 1,275,498 times
I went to abington and so did my one sister. My other sister went to Prep. I went to abington for a few reasons. One and most important to me at the time was all of my frineds from my neighborhood where going to abington. Peer Preasure. . When i look back there are pros and cons to my decision. I loved Abington and had a great time and an excellent education. Prep however offers you some perks you don't get at Publics (with exception to Abington). At prep you have a much broader social network. At 14 to 18 yrs old this doesnt mean a lot but when you are older and still in the area you end up knowing people from all over. Prep covers NEPA.

Abington had some bad seeds. All schools do. Not as much of a drug problem as others will lead you to believe. People from other areas always generalize and say abington is rich kids and they all do coke and smoke weed. Not true, at least when I went there. NEPA has good schools period. I went to abington and I give it a thumbs Up. I got into college and was very well prepared.

Ps, MrsRayLyman. Hows Max and Dave the State Trooper doin'. We should all get together and head up ta Service Merchandise on da bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania