U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-29-2010, 05:22 AM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
26,020 posts, read 44,972,375 times
Reputation: 10821
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Reston - I don't want to rain on your parade, but, your "Pie in the Sky" views and grandious plans sound like a "Certain One" that convinced millions of doe-eyed gullible people to vote for him back in 2008.

The problem with your Utopian views is that it slams head-first into the Wall of Reality.

I won't nitpick each point you outlined, but your criticism of Pittston's failure to save and restore old, dilapidated fire hazards along Main Street and instead construct parking lots is absolutely laughable - if one realistically factors in such things as private property rights and the realities of economics. (The tearing down, burning down, and opening up parking space) has been going on since the American Theatre went up in flames - back in the day when you were not even hatched yet.

If you would take a good look, you might notice that every parking lot on/near Main Street Pittston is privately owned and operated to provide PARKING for business customers. The days of busloads of people being dropped off in front of JC Penney are long gone, just like the Norman Rockwell print that was set aflame under the Water Street bridge as a bunch of Coxton Yard Wino/Hobo transplants tried to stay warm on a cold winter's night.

Sometimes I wonder if you utilize a teleprompter when typing posts.
Pittston didn't have to suffer the fate it did in terms of "urban renewal". If it chose the path of historic preservation and heritage tourism it could have been just as successful (and quaint) as Jim Thorpe, Honesdale, Tunkhannock, Towanda, Montrose, Lewisburg, or many other local small towns that have thriving downtown business districts that attract people from all over. You don't need numerous surface parking lots lining the main drags of town. You could have easily preserved all of the old buildings and located other parcels for parking. It's a joke, in my eyes, to have so many suburban-styled newer buildings Downtown (i.e. Rite-Aid, CVS, Burger King, that strip mall with the bank and hair salon where KFC stood a while ago, etc.)

Please reserve your personal criticisms for someone who doesn't know more than you do about urban planning. For God's sake you're the type who looks at Pittston Township and thinks "success" with all of that traffic-inducing corporate sprawl replete with low-wage jobs for high school graduates and illegal aliens instead of skilled career opportunities with family-sustaining salaries (which had been promised to me by that sleazeball Rob Mericle). Every new home built in subdivisions in the townships and boroughs surrounding Pittston means one less family settling in the town proper, which means the town will never shore up its own tax base.

Criticizing President Obama, eh? Just how much better would President McCain have done? For God's sake he is so out-of-touch with reality himself he waged a war against the repeal of "Don't Ask; Don't Tell" (DADT) even after reports had been issued showing that the majority of service members and top military brass had no qualms about serving beside openly-gay comrades. You can't blame President Obama for the "Great Recession", which was well underway during the Bush regime.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2010, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Forty Fort
4,017 posts, read 2,858,587 times
Reputation: 8447
I still don't understand what Obama/McCain/DADT has to do with the resurgence of the downtown Wilkes-Barre thread. Anyone?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 07:46 AM
 
10,146 posts, read 15,861,325 times
Reputation: 4695
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I still don't understand what Obama/McCain/DADT has to do with the resurgence of the downtown Wilkes-Barre thread. Anyone?
Good point theatergypsy. Let's keep National politics out of this thread please.
__________________
Please follow THESE rules.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 09:15 AM
 
996 posts, read 273,993 times
Reputation: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Pittston didn't have to suffer the fate it did in terms of "urban renewal". If it chose the path of historic preservation and heritage tourism it could have been just as successful (and quaint) as Jim Thorpe, Honesdale, Tunkhannock, Towanda, Montrose, Lewisburg, or many other local small towns that have thriving downtown business districts that attract people from all over. You don't need numerous surface parking lots lining the main drags of town. You could have easily preserved all of the old buildings and located other parcels for parking. It's a joke, in my eyes, to have so many suburban-styled newer buildings Downtown (i.e. Rite-Aid, CVS, Burger King, that strip mall with the bank and hair salon where KFC stood a while ago, etc.)

Please reserve your personal criticisms for someone who doesn't know more than you do about urban planning. For God's sake you're the type who looks at Pittston Township and thinks "success" with all of that traffic-inducing corporate sprawl replete with low-wage jobs for high school graduates and illegal aliens instead of skilled career opportunities with family-sustaining salaries (which had been promised to me by that sleazeball Rob Mericle). Every new home built in subdivisions in the townships and boroughs surrounding Pittston means one less family settling in the town proper, which means the town will never shore up its own tax base.

Criticizing President Obama, eh? Just how much better would President McCain have done? For God's sake he is so out-of-touch with reality himself he waged a war against the repeal of "Don't Ask; Don't Tell" (DADT) even after reports had been issued showing that the majority of service members and top military brass had no qualms about serving beside openly-gay comrades. You can't blame President Obama for the "Great Recession", which was well underway during the Bush regime.
First off, The other "quaint" towns you listed as examples of what Pittston never became just so happen to serve as County Seats - which naturally adds alot of traffic into the downtown area - to support the courthouse, and the many businesses related to it (law firms, sherrif dept,etc). Funny how you skimmed over the that little detail.

I'm glad to hear that Rob Mericle got YOUR BLESSING for the commercial development formerly known as Kaminskiland. I'm sure that was a load off his shoulder. LMAO

My business directly benefits from the activities related to the development in recent years. Matter of fact, I will be reaping a good chunk of change from the new Sheetz - that will be within gas-fume sniffing distance from your parent's house. Don't fret, their next door neighbor Wallmart sells gas masks.

Mod cut

btw - Jim Thorpe looks great in the brochures, but I have known several tourists that booked several day stays and left after one day because the place was boring as hell if you did not ride a mountain bike and smell like a hippie.

Kindly remove your victim card from the table.

I am not criticizing you personally. Mod cut. You cannot say, I'm not criticizing you and then criticize someone.


p.s. - the aforementioned critique was prepared without the use of a teleprompter.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-29-2010 at 11:41 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 09:57 AM
 
Location: NE PA
7,940 posts, read 9,227,252 times
Reputation: 4242
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
btw - Jim Thorpe looks great in the brochures, but I have known several tourists that booked several day stays and left after one day because the place was boring as hell if you did not ride a mountain bike and smell like a hippie.



Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 11:44 AM
 
10,146 posts, read 15,861,325 times
Reputation: 4695
It does no good for this forum when interesting topics turn into personal attacks, and no, I am not singling out any one person. Please keep this TOS point in mind when posting,

Quote:
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.
__________________
Please follow THESE rules.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 12:31 PM
 
2,474 posts, read 3,223,529 times
Reputation: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
It does no good for this forum when interesting topics turn into personal attacks, and no, I am not singling out any one person. Please keep this TOS point in mind when posting,
What about all the UN-interesting ones??
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Wilkes-Barre
23 posts, read 14,131 times
Reputation: 22
Not the biggest fan of the Chicken Coop's current location so this is good move, IMO!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 01:04 PM
 
Location: NE PA
7,940 posts, read 9,227,252 times
Reputation: 4242
I wish Barnes and Noble would open a location in Scranton....its pretty sad that the only bookstore in downtown Scranton is a small used book store. Even with a mall, there's no bookstore.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 01:32 PM
 
14,258 posts, read 8,182,066 times
Reputation: 6710
I don't smell like a hippie and I so do NOT mountain bike and I enjoy Jim Thorpe immensely. To each his own though. *shrug*

I am surprised there is no B&N in Scranton, but two in Wilkes-Barre. It's crazy that in a city of Scranton's size there is only one small used book store.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top