U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2012, 03:57 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
17,524 posts, read 21,707,818 times
Reputation: 44175

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Dutch View Post
i guess it is a matter of opinion.
Boston is a harbor city, with numerous districts (Leather District, Financial, Chinatown, etc.). I just don't see the correlation. As a family that has held season tickets to Fenway for generations, I have spent a fair amount of time there.

But, it really doesnt matter, nor worth arguing about.
I thought that it wasn't even worth responding to in the first place.

However you thought it important enough to mock me in my comparison.

I never accused you of not spending "a fair amount of time" in Boston.
That event was the other way around.

I think that Wilkes-Barre retains a New Rngland flavor and the first time that I "met" this city, I thought so, knowing nothing at the time of it's historical new England roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2012, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Wilkes-Barre, Pa
144 posts, read 180,733 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Dutch View Post
i guess it is a matter of opinion.
Boston is a harbor city, with numerous districts (Leather District, Financial, Chinatown, etc.). I just don't see the correlation. As a family that has held season tickets to Fenway for generations, I have spent a fair amount of time there.

But, it really doesnt matter, nor worth arguing about.
It's not an opinion. It's a matter of fact. Apart from the similarities that have already been made clear, the things that you said can also be said about W-B. The city has many very distinct neighborhoods & sub-neighborhoods, each with their own personality specific to the time of their conception & racial/industrial background. Although you don't really see boats on the Susquehanna anymore, it was once a high-traffic commercial route (and it's the second largest river in the entire US) & Wilkes-Barre was, with no argument one of it's largest port cities.

Now, everything that I have said is an UNDENIABLE FACT!!!!!!!!!! It can all be researched & proven 100%. If you continue to argue, it only proves your stubbornness & lack of education on the issue.

For the 100th time, people should really not argue when they aren't 100% positive they're correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Wilkes-Barre, Pa
144 posts, read 180,733 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So what is everyone on this thread doing to better Wilkes-Barre?
Personally, I brag about the city to every single person I meet. I am educated almost exclusively on strictly W-B history & preach religiously of its rich, interesting, & exciting background! I know every inch of every block. I have personally lived in every neighborhood. As a child, I spent nearly every waking moment at the historical society & can say with all certainty & confidence that W-B is by far one of the most important, influential, historic, & note worthy cities in the entire world. The world's first Woolworth's, First of the now massive Sterling hotel chain, The last Connecticut city to swear allegiance to PA & one of the only cities in history to wage a civil war against a state. Birthplace of Planter's, Stegmaier, Gibbons, HBO, Bell Telephone, the discovery of anthracite, the first noted use of anthracite. Once home to the most railroad tracks in one place (allegedly) & reportedly, Wilkes-Barre square, along with downtown Manhattan were the first 2 places IN THE WORLD to have an electrical grid installed. Do I have to go on? I can all day.

Currently, we are part of the NATIONAL TOP 10 CITIES in the way of job market & our local banks, colleges, & medical institutions are not only thriving, but skyrocketing. We have one of the lowest housing markets in the entire US, with many large, historic homes. We have many clean, safe, & even suburban neighborhoods, but still maintain the hustle & bustle in our downtown area?

I make these facts known to prospective residents in order to sway them to move here & raise our population, economy, & number of employed citizens. You do the exact opposite! You point out every negative you can find, & even exaggerate or entirely fabricate claims to make the area seem undesirable! You are the problem around here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 05:35 PM
 
210 posts, read 316,803 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCityTrash View Post
It's not an opinion. It's a matter of fact. Apart from the similarities that have already been made clear, the things that you said can also be said about W-B. The city has many very distinct neighborhoods & sub-neighborhoods, each with their own personality specific to the time of their conception & racial/industrial background. Although you don't really see boats on the Susquehanna anymore, it was once a high-traffic commercial route (and it's the second largest river in the entire US) & Wilkes-Barre was, with no argument one of it's largest port cities.

Now, everything that I have said is an UNDENIABLE FACT!!!!!!!!!! It can all be researched & proven 100%. If you continue to argue, it only proves your stubbornness & lack of education on the issue.

For the 100th time, people should really not argue when they aren't 100% positive they're correct.
Second largest river in the us? Come on, it doesn't even make the top 20.
ofr87-242--Largest Rivers in the United States

Every city has distinct neighborhoods.

Boston is a ocean port and still is. I have no idea what type of port Wilkes barre was, but based on your ineptitude, I doubt anything you spout to be true. In any event, today Boston is still a port. Wilkes barre yeah, keep living in the past.

Maybe you should listen to your own advice?

Yeah Sheena, you have lived in every city in the us and an expert on all. My apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 05:56 PM
 
130 posts, read 213,146 times
Reputation: 180
Lol at anyone hyping up Wilkes barre. It's a dump! Old worn out town crime ridden and rough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 06:25 PM
 
210 posts, read 316,803 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCityTrash View Post
Personally, I brag about the city to every single person I meet. I am educated almost exclusively on strictly W-B history & preach religiously of its rich, interesting, & exciting background! I know every inch of every block. I have personally lived in every neighborhood. As a child, I spent nearly every waking moment at the historical society & can say with all certainty & confidence that W-B is by far one of the most important, influential, historic, & note worthy cities in the entire world. The world's first Woolworth's, First of the now massive Sterling hotel chain, The last Connecticut city to swear allegiance to PA & one of the only cities in history to wage a civil war against a state. Birthplace of Planter's, Stegmaier, Gibbons, HBO, Bell Telephone, the discovery of anthracite, the first noted use of anthracite. Once home to the most railroad tracks in one place (allegedly) & reportedly, Wilkes-Barre square, along with downtown Manhattan were the first 2 places IN THE WORLD to have an electrical grid installed. Do I have to go on? I can all day.
!
Yes please, could you?

I'll comment on what I know, others can debunk the rest of your bs.

Anthracite was discovered in Pottsville, not Wilkes barre.
Bell telephone was founded and incorporated in Boston, not Wilkes barre.
Hbo was founded and incorporated in NYC, not Wilkes barre. And cable originated in mahanoy city, not Wilkes barre.

Yes, please go on. It is pleasant watching someone making stuff up. Scranton also hosts the Garden of Eden and Hazleton has the fountain of youth.

Your name is very apropos

A quick google search also indicates the first Woolworth was opened in Utica ny. Followed by Lancaster, Harrisburg and, Scranton(how ironic).

Thems there sum good historical society you frequent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 06:28 PM
 
27,993 posts, read 19,619,705 times
Reputation: 16471
Isn't Boston in Massachusetts? I'm not getting the Connecticut reference. A friend of mine lived in Boston for a few years. I asked her what she thought of the comparison since I've never been to Boston. She didn't see any connection beyond both states being in the northern section of the country. PA is a Mid-Atlantic state. It's not even classified as New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 06:30 PM
 
27,993 posts, read 19,619,705 times
Reputation: 16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCityTrash View Post
Personally, I brag about the city to every single person I meet. I am educated almost exclusively on strictly W-B history & preach religiously of its rich, interesting, & exciting background! I know every inch of every block. I have personally lived in every neighborhood. As a child, I spent nearly every waking moment at the historical society & can say with all certainty & confidence that W-B is by far one of the most important, influential, historic, & note worthy cities in the entire world. The world's first Woolworth's, First of the now massive Sterling hotel chain, The last Connecticut city to swear allegiance to PA & one of the only cities in history to wage a civil war against a state. Birthplace of Planter's, Stegmaier, Gibbons, HBO, Bell Telephone, the discovery of anthracite, the first noted use of anthracite. Once home to the most railroad tracks in one place (allegedly) & reportedly, Wilkes-Barre square, along with downtown Manhattan were the first 2 places IN THE WORLD to have an electrical grid installed. Do I have to go on? I can all day.

Currently, we are part of the NATIONAL TOP 10 CITIES in the way of job market & our local banks, colleges, & medical institutions are not only thriving, but skyrocketing. We have one of the lowest housing markets in the entire US, with many large, historic homes. We have many clean, safe, & even suburban neighborhoods, but still maintain the hustle & bustle in our downtown area?

I make these facts known to prospective residents in order to sway them to move here & raise our population, economy, & number of employed citizens. You do the exact opposite! You point out every negative you can find, & even exaggerate or entirely fabricate claims to make the area seem undesirable! You are the problem around here!
You certainly must have me confused with someone else. I do not do any of the things you claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 07:25 PM
 
Location: wilkes-barre
1,974 posts, read 4,538,869 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
The Shoppes at Montage brings up a good point about one of the major negatives to this area....sprawl. This area, for an area that tiptoes the line of either shrinking or being stagnant as far as population, continues to sprawl out of control, ruining one of the major positives to this area, the nature and scenery. Why was it necessary for a carbon copy of Dickson City to sprout up on Montage Mtn? At least the retail growth in W-B Township was responsible in that the arena and the stores/restuarants around it are on a reclaimed old landfill. Another example of irresponsible unnecessary sprawl is the Casey Highway (aka The Road to Nowhere). It ruined a pristine mountain, and the road gets hardly any traffic.

Imagine if the Shoppes at Montage and PNC Field were in downtown Scranton? Downtown would actually be revitalized. The Steamtown Mall should never have been built...an outdoor "lifestyle center" like the Shoppes at Montage would have been prefect for the Steamtown Mall site and would have helped downtown as a whole. Now downtown is struggling, and the mall is headed towards white elephant status. In most areas, new ballparks are being built in downtowns these days....not here where we're stuck in the 1970s, nope, we still build them off of highway exits out in the suburbs, where everyone has to drive to them.
Yeah, but that is exactly why they built The Shoppes at Montage and The Stadium on that mountain, so it would offer easy access from both Scranton and W-B metro. Scranton alone isn't large enough to sustain a packed stadium or the shoppes at montage, that is why the developers put it somewhat between the two cities and with easy access off of I-81, because they need the populace of both metros, Wayne County and north, W-B and south to support it, and they are all connected by I-81. I honestly believe that rebuilding that stadium in downtown Scranton would have backfired...the residents from outside of the city would not be familiar with the downtown area and would avoid it out of inconvenience, the traffic would be a turn off. I wouldn't want to bother with it, besides, you would need to find a massive lot of land in an already developed downtown, otherwise there would be many many years tied up in burecratic red tape..i.e. buying land and old buildings off of land owners than imploding them and clearing the land etc., iminant domain, rights of way etc. It would be a long and drawn out legal nightmare trying to get all the planets to align. It is much easier for a developer to purchase a large parcel of land on that mountain and develop it, and it offers easy access from all points throughout NEPA not just greater Scranton area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 07:55 PM
 
27,993 posts, read 19,619,705 times
Reputation: 16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCityTrash View Post
Personally, I brag about the city to every single person I meet. I am educated almost exclusively on strictly W-B history & preach religiously of its rich, interesting, & exciting background! I know every inch of every block. I have personally lived in every neighborhood. As a child, I spent nearly every waking moment at the historical society & can say with all certainty & confidence that W-B is by far one of the most important, influential, historic, & note worthy cities in the entire world. The world's first Woolworth's, First of the now massive Sterling hotel chain, The last Connecticut city to swear allegiance to PA & one of the only cities in history to wage a civil war against a state. Birthplace of Planter's, Stegmaier, Gibbons, HBO, Bell Telephone, the discovery of anthracite, the first noted use of anthracite. Once home to the most railroad tracks in one place (allegedly) & reportedly, Wilkes-Barre square, along with downtown Manhattan were the first 2 places IN THE WORLD to have an electrical grid installed. Do I have to go on? I can all day.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Dutch View Post
Yes please, could you?

I'll comment on what I know, others can debunk the rest of your bs.

Anthracite was discovered in Pottsville, not Wilkes barre.
Bell telephone was founded and incorporated in Boston, not Wilkes barre.
Hbo was founded and incorporated in NYC, not Wilkes barre. And cable originated in mahanoy city, not Wilkes barre.

Yes, please go on. It is pleasant watching someone making stuff up. Scranton also hosts the Garden of Eden and Hazleton has the fountain of youth.

Your name is very apropos

A quick google search also indicates the first Woolworth was opened in Utica ny. Followed by Lancaster, Harrisburg and, Scranton(how ironic).

Thems there sum good historical society you frequent.
I'll have a go at it. Please, PLEASE do not allow coalcitytrash's total lack of education on our history reflect on our fine historical society. That hurts my heart!


Coalcitytrash,

1. Woolworth's was born in Lancaster, PA.
2. There is NO Sterling Hotel chain. (Honestly with this one you are making me question whether your entire post is satirical!)
3. Wilkes-Barre was NEVER part of Connecticut!
4. HBO began in Manhattan
5. Bell Telephone started in Massachusetts
6. Anthracite coal mining started in Pottsville
7. Oregon City/Wilmette Falls was the first city in the world to have an electric power grid in 1889.

Please give me actual examples of why Wilkes-Barre is, and I quote, "by far one of the most important, influential, historic, & note worthy cities in the entire world". Almost none of your examples hold up to the barest hint of scrutiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:23 PM.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top