U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:35 PM

27,976 posts, read 19,242,616 times

Advertisements

I agree with Avoca: Facebook and Twitter are *huge* marketing tools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 07:30 AM

23 posts, read 23,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoca resident View Post
Wow, one word...Facebook. Websites out, Facebook in.
Have anyone of you been to the Lowes party over the holiday on Facebook?
Or the half price deals from Home depot. Or all the coupons you can get on Facebook.
I bet half my newsfeed is businesses, from local bars offering their special for the night to Purina offering me $5 off dogfood.

Have your business show up in my newsfeed is priceless.
Absolutely agree that Facebook & Twitter are great *marketing* tools, but that's not the end all of offering a service. Plus, how would anyone ever find out about your company and services on Facebook?

To my knowledge, the only way you will ever find about a company on Facebook is if:
"Aunt Betty *likes* (Company Name)." and I then click on (Company Name) to find out what it is.

But, as I said, I use Facebook for my company and it actually does draw a lot of additional traffic to my website. It's like being subscribed to an e-newsletter.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I'm a diehard hard copy gal - the YP begins in my immediate vicinity and if I don't hit pay dirt there, I can continue by widening the search incrementally. Bound to be somebody I'd feel comfortable with.

Google is good for so much that I'm not sure I'd be happy if it disappeared, but sometimes it takes a finer approach to get results.
Your response amazes me, and it's the kind of response I'm looking to hear about. I have a feeling that you're not the only one in this area who would do that! This is definitely something to consider.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalcreative View Post
Absolutely agree that Facebook & Twitter are great *marketing* tools, but that's not the end all of offering a service. Plus, how would anyone ever find out about your company and services on Facebook?

To my knowledge, the only way you will ever find about a company on Facebook is if:
"Aunt Betty *likes* (Company Name)." and I then click on (Company Name) to find out what it is.

But, as I said, I use Facebook for my company and it actually does draw a lot of additional traffic to my website. It's like being subscribed to an e-newsletter.
No one said it was the end all/be all but is a very important tool in today's marketplace. There is an information tab on Facebook where you can go into much more detail about your business and you update your statuses to reflect your deals and such.

Two local businesses who have used Facebook in a really good way to get their businesses and branding out there are:

The Crimson Lion:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Cr...e/124802818833

Bratty Natty's:

http://www.facebook.com/brattynatty

There is more to having a business page on Facebook than someone liking it. You could have people share the page to gain more exposure, you offer specials to FB followers, etc.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No one said it was the end all/be all but is a very important tool in today's marketplace. There is an information tab on Facebook where you can go into much more detail about your business and you update your statuses to reflect your deals and such.

Two local businesses who have used Facebook in a really good way to get their businesses and branding out there are:

The Crimson Lion Hookah Lounge | Facebook

Bratty Natty's Boutique | Facebook

There is more to having a business page on Facebook than someone liking it. You could have people share the page to gain more exposure, you offer specials to FB followers, etc.
I agree with you, and maybe my response was a little vague so I apologize for that. What I was saying is, the only way you will find out about a company is if someone shares with you their experience with the company via FB (whether it's by liking or sharing). It's a great tool at that.

And if you look back, I believe the quote was "Websites out, Facebook in." -- just sayin, though.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 AM

And the thread was, for all purposes, to figure out what someone would search for .. if they HAD to. But I do appreciate the additional feedback of how you would look to find services. The Printed Version of YellowPages REALLY surprised me.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
And the thread was, for all purposes, to figure out what someone would search for .. if they HAD to. But I do appreciate the additional feedback of how you would look to find services. The Printed Version of YellowPages REALLY surprised me.
If I was searching for someone to brand my company, as a laymen, I'd search out advertising in my area. Possibly graphic design, but my first inclination would be typing advertising.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 AM

Something like "nepa advertising" or "wilkes-barre advertising" ?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Something like "nepa advertising" or "wilkes-barre advertising" ?
Yes. "Advertising in Wilkes-Barre" or "Ad agencies in Wilkes-Barre". I think most people wouldn't think "web design" or "graphic design" when it came to branding an image, ya know?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes. "Advertising in Wilkes-Barre" or "Ad agencies in Wilkes-Barre". I think most people wouldn't think "web design" or "graphic design" when it came to branding an image, ya know?
Hmmm... this is a good start!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania