Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:32 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
The one thing that scares me the most is the crime you read in the paper, and I check out the police blotter every day. We live about 3 blocks from Hazle & Stanton, and we have a lot of nice neighbors here and it's a good block. But besides the rhetoric "most of the people that get targeted are known by or involved with their attackers", you have to admit there are some random crimes too. I'd like to walk around & ride my bicycle more, but you never know if it's a risk. For that and walking to downtown from here, which is just over a mile. At least avoiding nights and weekends would be a plus. But in the several months we've been here I did read that someone was mugged or assaulted with a gun on the stairs by the wall near Bank/Hazle while either walking or on a bike, and shots were fired on Prospect St near High St., also on more than one occasion there have been violent crimes / muggings near Schiel's Market near Parrish & S. Main. If I could feel a bit more safe, I'd venture out more, but it still seems to touch-and-go, more so if I were to attempt a weekend walk after dark via Grove - Hazle - Main and then downtown to go to a club on foot or bike by myself.

good points--problem here is some people avoid addressing the crime problem here---a must for a sucessful downtown and after dark patronage by professionals,older residents and those deterred by the fear of being a crime victim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 05:37 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
It's not perfect, but they're actually building a splash park at Coal Street Park for the kids. Doesn't one of the elementary schools (Dodson? Dan Flood?) have an indoor swimming pool that is open to the public during the summer?
Kistler does. It's an indoor swimming pool.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:24 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
I got up an hour earlier for my hunt this morning.
It appears to me that others have already been rummaging through the woods and have acquired their target.

I didn't realize it was Sheena-season...
Unfortunately, I did not purchase the necesary permit from the PGC so I will opt out...

One comment I have is in regards to folk's desires to live "in the city" within close proximity to numerous restaurants,bars,businesses,services,etc..

I say good for you - but "different strokes for differernt folks".

Yesterday afternoon I took a couple of out of town visitors to Mountain Top fora late lunch. On the way, one of them commented about how isolated my town is - and how I have to travel 10-25 miles in any direction to arrive at any decent shopping or dining venues.

I told them that I would not have it any other way. My closest neighbor is 3/10 of a mile from me, the "river runs through it", well not through it - but right in front of my home, and driving down the 10 mile ribbon of asphalt surrounded by nothing but trees is the best route for me to travel.

Different strokes for different folks.

To me, most restaurants are over-rated and over-priced, movie-theatres? - I have not been to one in 20 years - and if it was up to me - them liberal Hollywood slugs would all be working double shifts at McDonalds to get by (except Clint - he gets a pass for being a real man).

It's all about choices, and what people define as "culture".

I choose the country culture and the peacefulness of country living.

WB ain't too bad. Nice place to visit on occaision, but I certainly would not want to live there, or for that matter, any city.
I feel the same way, although i do love NYC

Old 01-25-2011, 03:10 PM

18 posts, read 55,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I understand what you are saying. I too would like to see a variety of buisnesses spring up, and they are, just not at the same pace as the bars and restaraunts, but what would you rather?...empty storefronts? Also, you mentioned Scranton...well Scranton's entire downtown wasn't wiped out by a massive flood, and Scranton has had more then enough help from governor Casey and other native lawmakers to get the ball rolling up there, and from what i hear, Scranton isn't doing all that great lately, especially the mall at steamtown. I think the fountain will eventually be replaced, and I think the River Common is a prime example of investment in our community. Instead of bashing and mocking the fledgling rebirth, why not support it and think of ways to contribute? I think as new bars and restaraunts flourish and word spreads, other retail and buisnesses will follow. I, myself am looking into the possibility of opening a buisness totally unique to the W-B/Scranton region because of the success that I see other enterpenuers in downtown W-B are having (and it's not a bar or restaraunt). You mentioned Arts Youniverse...well isn't that itself a great example of a unique and different buisness, then a bar that decided to call downtown W-B home? Arts Youiverse brings you downtown does it not?
Talking about growth in downtown. As many know I just graduated with my MBA from Wilkes. While I was there I, as well as all of the other students, had the opportunity to give our opinions on the University's Master Planning initiatives. At one such meeting I was able to get my hands on a public map of the university's master plan. I think its also available at Wilkes' website if you do some hunting. Seems like River Street has one lane for each direction of traffic with what appears to be a monument plaza or something similar between Northampton and South streets which seems to be for the statue of John Wilkes currently on campus. Both River and South Franklin seem to have additional greenery especially River Street which seems to have a green median between opposing lanes of traffic and South Franklin has the addition of angled parking-hopefully they'll also put traffic lines in the road lol Though it would be interesting to see Wilkes' plans for downtown especially since everyone likes to bring up how Wilkes-Barre is becoming a college town. now whether they get the opportunity to do any of this is a completely different story.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wilkes.jpg
Views:	4274
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	74690

Old 01-25-2011, 03:40 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosdriver View Post
Talking about growth in downtown. As many know I just graduated with my MBA from Wilkes. While I was there I, as well as all of the other students, had the opportunity to give our opinions on the University's Master Planning initiatives. At one such meeting I was able to get my hands on a public map of the university's master plan. I think its also available at Wilkes' website if you do some hunting. Seems like River Street has one lane for each direction of traffic with what appears to be a monument plaza or something similar between Northampton and South streets which seems to be for the statue of John Wilkes currently on campus. Both River and South Franklin seem to have additional greenery especially River Street which seems to have a green median between opposing lanes of traffic and South Franklin has the addition of angled parking-hopefully they'll also put traffic lines in the road lol Though it would be interesting to see Wilkes' plans for downtown especially since everyone likes to bring up how Wilkes-Barre is becoming a college town. now whether they get the opportunity to do any of this is a completely different story.

Attachment 74690
I wish the Hotel Sterling would finally get developed, as well as The Murray Complex

Old 01-25-2011, 03:44 PM

24,111 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Yesterday my husband commented that even since officially moving here, down town Wilkes- Barre just looks better and better!
I could not agree more!
No, it is not perfect, but there seems to be a contingent of concerned residents, both local people and transplants, who are optimistic and willing to patronize local businesses as well as advocate for the region.
I did almost all f my Christmas shopping in Wilkes Barre and in Scranton.

I moved here and I have NEVER ONCE looked back!
I am not big on regrets, but if I had one it would be that I did not buy a house for cash in 2002, instead of putting a down payment on a McMansion. With taxes over 18 thousand per year.

Well hind sight is 20/20!

Old 11-14-2012, 10:32 PM

47 posts, read 100,188 times
fastforward to dec 2012... what does everyone think about wilkes barre at this point? has anything changed?

Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 AM

11 posts, read 16,928 times
Quote:
Look's like two more buisnesses will be opening very soon in the Diamond City. Mulligans wilkes barre, and Pronto Pizza are both opening. Along with the anouncements that the new buisness incubator is expanding and the possible coal miner's museum are the latest in a long line of downtown openings... i am still holding my breath for an "urban marketplace" downtown though, like Reading Terminal in Philly. I would love that! Two new businesses move into downtown Wilkes-Barre - News - Citizens' Voice

Bartikowksy's is closing on the square in W-B, and Boscov's is hanging on by a thread, has just CLOSED its entire electronics dept, Frontier Co. moved out of the old Provincial Towers- "Operation Square Deal" arrested 33 heroin dealers on Public Square in W-B earlier this year. The schools in W-B are amongst the worst in the state- why push this area as something good ? I've lived here for 50+ years. The only way your kid gets a decent education is if you spend $6000/year or more for private school, the public high schools are a living junkyard. The area has almost zero to offer in employment, unless you are "connected" and get in a school district, or county job.

stop painting this picture of niceness for this area, because it's just not true.

my wife works in the downtown, sees bums eating out of the garbage daily, and picking up cigarette butts and saving them, to smoke later. She parks in a city parkade and has to walk past and over vomit, feces, urine, garbage, empty beer and boose bottles. One day they opened the elevator, and an arm fell out, a bum was sleeping in the parkade elevator on S. Main St.

this town has a MAJOR gang, drug, crime problem, and NYC and Philly gangs are battling for control of the heroin business, there is a shooting here at least once a week or so.

the city is nearly bankrupt with millions in debt, and so is Scranton and Hazleton- this area is SHOT.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:36 AM

11 posts, read 16,928 times
Quote:
I wish the Hotel Sterling would finally get developed, as well as The Murray Complex

Murray complex burned down, and was scrapped, Sterling is falling down, 2 eyesores, testaments to the greed of local politicians and businessmen.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:18 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRoldan70 View Post
fastforward to dec 2012... what does everyone think about wilkes barre at this point? has anything changed?
Well there is more crime here. Or at least it seems like it. I don't have the official numbers at my disposal but there have been many problems in Sherman Hills. I think the city needs to take it up with the owner of the complex. It is nuts how bad it has gotten there. Innocent residents are afraid to leave their homes at night over it.

I think there are more residents getting involved with issues in the city and that is a good thing. There are several grassroots movements aimed at getting the city cleaned up, helping at risk kids, improving the schools and generally making Wilkes-Barre better.

My husband and I have been kicking around the idea of relocating but honestly I don't know if I want to leave. There are many things about Wilkes-Barre that I love. Of course, there are things I loathe as well. If the right opportunity came up, we would seriously consider leaving but as of right now I am one of the residents trying to make positive changes here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania