U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:36 AM

1,974 posts, read 4,645,781 times

Advertisements

Look's like two more buisnesses will be opening very soon in the Diamond City. Mulligans wilkes barre, and Pronto Pizza are both opening. Along with the anouncements that the new buisness incubator is expanding and the possible coal miner's museum are the latest in a long line of downtown openings... i am still holding my breath for an "urban marketplace" downtown though, like Reading Terminal in Philly. I would love that! http://citizensvoice.com/news/two-ne...arre-1.1083269
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 08:48 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,881,828 times
I will say any business is better than empty storefronts, but did these owners do a study of what existing businesses are in the area? It seems there are no shortage of bars and pizza places around here.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:00 AM

23 posts, read 24,480 times
Mulligans looks extremely nice! I can't wait for that to open.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:40 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,803,393 times
Pronto's is open but I haven't tried it yet. I would be *super* excited about a marketplace too WB!

Old 12-30-2010, 11:32 AM

I think everyone agree's that Wilkes-Barre sorely needs more retail and other buisnesses besides restaraunts and bars, but it's still good news and shows that the downtown continue's to grow. I have a great idea for a start up buisness that would be unique and first of it's kind in the region i was in Harrisburg yesterday visiting my aunt and she took me somewhere really cool, and I think it would be cool for downtown W-B too. (and no, it's not a bar!) I actually made a phone call to the small buisness development agency in W-B to see about pursuing this idea. I'll keep you all posted.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:39 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,803,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I think everyone agree's that Wilkes-Barre sorely needs more retail and other buisnesses besides restaraunts and bars, but it's still good news and shows that the downtown continue's to grow. I have a great idea for a start up buisness that would be unique and first of it's kind in the region i was in Harrisburg yesterday visiting my aunt and she took me somewhere really cool, and I think it would be cool for downtown W-B too. (and no, it's not a bar!) I actually made a phone call to the small buisness development agency in W-B to see about pursuing this idea. I'll keep you all posted.
Oh good luck!!! I'm interested to find out what it is!

Old 12-30-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Pronto's is open but I haven't tried it yet. I would be *super* excited about a marketplace too WB!
Yeah. It's an awesome place. I visit it everytime I'm in Philly. Reading Terminal Market - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I have written leaders to the editor and emailed the chamber, mayors office ect., and tried to "plant the idea seed" for the marketplace in the right peoples' minds. I think if the Hotel Sterling project ever comes to fruition, the ideal place for the marketplace would be the ground floor of the Sterling parking garage, it would put it across the street from the River Common, smack dab between Wilkes and Kings and right where all the office buildings are. I figured it could have a direct tunnel entrance connected to The Sterling itself allowing the residents direct access to http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/ the marketplace. One can dream!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I will say any business is better than empty storefronts, but did these owners do a study of what existing businesses are in the area? It seems there are no shortage of bars and pizza places around here.
The guy that is opening Mulligan's is the same owner of The Hardware Bar. I assume he did some research and believe's there is money to be made from opening another bar, and I think he has a valid point when he said that W-B has a very sizable irish population, but no downtown irish pubs. I believe W-B is on par (percentage wise) with Scranton as far as people of irish decent, yet we don't have one downtown irish themed bar or restaraunt. Hopefully it'll do well. I have been there once when it was "Luna". It was much, much to small and to trendy for my taste. I think for a bar to succeed at that location, they have to expand, bust out a wall or two and open it up a little...on a seperate note, The Chicken Coop is also in the prosess of moving downtown.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:36 PM

100 posts, read 118,430 times
Thanks for update: will have to try Pronto. I think Mulligan's looks nice, too, (peeked thru the window), and it looks to add a space with a bit of different vibe downtown. Even though the space is kinda thin & stretched out, maybe that'll be enough for this kind of place until an adjacent tenant moves out?
Something other than bar/restaurant would be great in town, like a marketplace. It has been nice to have ArtsSeen Gallery, too.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:36 AM

996 posts, read 844,377 times
W-B Proud - good luck on your business idea/possible venture.

I have not visited downtown WB in a long time.

I have some business to attend to at the Courthouse in early January and am going to make a point to spend a couple of hours in/near Public Square and take a walk in order to soak in the city via "tourist's eyes".

I am really curious about checking out the new Riverfront Park on foot, take a walk around the Square, King's College area, then afterwards, reward myself with a timeless treat from one of WB's finest institution - Abe's Hotdogs on S Main Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania