U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:35 AM

14,429 posts, read 8,519,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
The debate over good and bad transplants will probably never stop here on the boards...yes there are good "transplants" but the bad, in my opinion, outweigh them...unfortunately...the Pocono Wreckerd is always featuring front page stories of their shenanigans...also it's not a matter of people being unreceptive of outsider's moving in their neighborhoods...the problem lies in those moving in not living their lives in a productive manner...a lot of us here on the boards are productive, law abiding, hard working, and educated professionals in our own fields of expertise but the "transplants" being referred to negatively in the posts here on CD are not and that's the problem...I could go on and on but this topic has been talked about extensively here on CD over and over again...the "transplants" being referred to here are not those of us who are productive, law abiding, hard working, and educated professionals...it's the low-life ones that are being referenced...so stop throwing yourself in that group and continue to enjoy the life you have out here...time to take my other half out for her birthday...good day!!!
Yes and the media makes Wilkes-Barre look like a dystopian urban battleground where one cannot even leave their home for fear of being shot in front of the theater.

Don't believe everything you read.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:40 AM

14,429 posts, read 8,519,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
1972 Flood?????

IMO, WB should have thanked Agnes for arranging a complete gut/rebuild job of the dilapidated center city area, as well as spur the building of the **** system. In other words - WB's largest ever complete re-development project and levee system was accomplished - with the lion shaire financed by the Feds.

WB did not look that much worse with Susquehanna River mud smeared all over it - I know- I rode in my Uncles Dumptruck as he got paid big bucks to haul it away. The day we volunteered to help round up runaway coffins that the river current washed away from the Forty Fort cemetary was one of the wierdest things I ever did.
Yes, the 1972 flood.

The city wasn't dilapidated prior to 1972. Business owners rebuilt after the '65 fire only to wiped out again 7 years later; people gave up and moved away.

WB's re-development, the city mind you, happened over 3 decades after the flood. I'd hardly credit a natural disaster for progress made by city and county leaders who were still in high school at the time the flood happened.

One of the biggest reasons the levee system happened was because Congressman Dan Flood made sure it happened - through ethical and unethical means.

As for your assertion that WB was really no worse for the wear, I'll politely disagree with you. Everything I have read, seen and learned tells me that this flood was a disaster of huge proportions. It wasn't simply mud thrown on buildings and you know it. Why you are trying to underplay the toll the flood took on the city is beyond me.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:56 AM

93 posts, read 89,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Unfortunately, human beings seem to have an issue with anything new and this includes other people. I am not a transplant, born and raised here in Wilkes-Barre. But I, too, am sick to death of the constant degradation of transplants on this board and IRL.

What is IRL?

Old 01-02-2011, 09:13 AM

10,906 posts, read 9,102,749 times
Magritte has it right. The historical decline of Wilkes-Barre began after WW11, when white urban people - not only in Wilkes Barre and Scranton - but in almost every city, began fleeing the inner city for the suburbs.This is not unique to this area. My grandparents owned a beautiful ten room Tudor style home in the Bronx - yes you read that correctly, in what was once an upper middle class area. Today one would not want to walk there without an armed guard.
But I have heard that even the Bronx is poised for a comeback

Wilkes Barre was hit hard again after the double whammy of the flood and the end of the coal mining industry,as Magritte already wrote..

For those of you who may think that I am looking at the area through "rose colored glasses," I am not. having taken the "Grand Real estate Tour of Scranton and Wilkes Barre" for over three years, I am very familiar with many areas - good and bad. I am not blind, i see room for improvement, but I want to help to make this area better.

Yes, I have been through Edwarsville - a real estate agent tried to show me a house there claiming it was in Kingston. It was not Kingston and the main street there looks scary and bombed out. I would not take my dog for a walk there - and I have one big dog!
Same goes for Plymouth - depressing and dismal. Yet I am sure that there are some nice people who live there.

And lest you think that I live in some strange and mysteriously pristine part of Wilkes Barre - let me clue you in - we live in the North End, not far from King's College. We have a diverse and eclectic group of neighbors.To my right are a nice Hispanic family who are deeply religious. They own their own home and take good care of it. They are refugees from PCP. They have been very nice to us.
To my left, is an extended Italian-American family. They are locals, and are very kind, anf generous. people. They are also homeowners, but they are more involved with working on their cars than on their home. (I am trying to put this nicely) Across the street is a multi family that is being inproved by it's absentee land lord. I introduced myself to him and told him that I was glad that he was improving the property. His Lincoln SUV had a "Wyoming Seminary" sticker, a Harvard sticker anf a US Marines sticker.He is NOT from NY or NJ. He grew up in South Wilkes Barre and left with his parents after the flood.
I have also met a friendly young couple with two toddlers. They rent and are local. She is a dental assistant, and he does something with computers (IT or something like that) They are saving for a house but they keep their current home in beautiful condition.

I also met a single gay man who owns his own home and attends my church.
(Reston Runner he is too old for you - in his early 60s :-)
He gave us a nice tree ornament and a CD of Christmas music.

The area I live in is about 70 to 75% white. the rest appear to be Latino and there are a couple of African Americans. Also some students.

Sometimes I think that all of this xenophobia about Ny/NJ people is really racism in disguise.
Fear of brown people.

I love my neighbors! I love living in a diverse community where everyone is not married with 2.3 children. I love having a side walk and being able to walk my dogs.

I do not miss the expense and work of maintaining a huge house on over an acre of property.
I do not miss feeling isolated. I really do not miss my pretentious, and snobbish neighbors. Except for my friends I do not miss anything about LI.

I just think that" hating on" all people who are new to the area is ignorant.
Many of us have done MORE research into the area and have the zeal of a religious convert.

I do know that there are some lower income people, who are from the outer boroughs of NY and some do look unsavory.

But the people who post on this board who are interested in moving here or have just made that move are not out selling drugs.

We are your new neighbors! Give us a chance! Do not paint us all with the same negative brush.

I am asking everyone on this board who has expressed hostility towards new comers, to stop it NOW.
I am also asking the wonderful folks who have been so helpful to us during this move to take a "zero tolerance" approach when it comes to unwarranted nastiness and stereotyping. Actually, ALL nastimess is, by definition; unwarented. People can disagree - but there is no need to be cruel or unkind.

I also urge the people who are genuinely unhappy here to move or to quit complaining and to help our community to improve. Be a part of the solution - not the problem! .

Best Wishes to All for a Happy, Healthy and prosperous 2011.

Sincerely,
Sheena

Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 AM

2,315 posts, read 2,377,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell5252 View Post
What is IRL?
in real life

Old 01-02-2011, 09:45 AM

22,216 posts, read 16,326,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Wilkes Barre was hit hard again after the double whammy of the flood and the end of the coal mining industry,as Magritte already wrote..
Unfortunately coal mining at least in a historical context was dead by the 50's.... It peaked just before 1920...

Old 01-02-2011, 10:00 AM

996 posts, read 300,217 times
Quote:
Why you are trying to underplay the toll the flood took on the city is beyond me.
I'm not trying to underplay anything.

I'm completely disagreeing with your premise that the flood attributed to the demise of WB - when from a purely economic and redevelopment vantage point - was is essence the Natural Disaster Goose that laid the Golden Egg for Wilkes-Barre.

Heck, even Nixon toured the valley a couple of times. Full attention was placed on WB and the Wyoming Valley and the purse strings were cut.
Uncle Sam came in and cleaned up the mess left by the flood and the mess that existed before the river left its banks.

It takes street-smarts, not a PHD in economics, to figure that out.

Dan Flood had more influence and provided greater exonomic benefit when he wielded his power and made the intersection of I80 & I81 land in Luzerne County.

p.s. - yes I was 13 yrs old - and even drove a Mack 10 wheeler around Public Square and up & down Wyoming Avenue during the Agnes cleanup. What were you doing when you were 13 years old?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:07 AM

22,216 posts, read 16,326,484 times
Quote:
You've watched the decline of a town over the past few decades and incorrectly attributed it to "outsiders".
This isn't something I'm making up, how many times do you open the newspaper and see a violent crime that was committed by someone from Philly or New York? They aren't visiting Joe Sixski... or they were former residents of New York and Philly.

I'm sure many of these people move here with good intentions but their problems follow them here.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:23 AM

996 posts, read 300,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This isn't something I'm making up, how many times do you open the newspaper and see a violent crime that was committed by someone from Philly or New York? They aren't visiting Joe Sixski... or they were former residents of New York and Philly.

I don't think the latest multiple gunshot victim of WB (Michael Jackson) was in town to partake in a pre-admission tour of Wilkes University.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:15 AM

99 posts, read 117,324 times
I don't like to lump everyone in a group into the same mindset, be it because of race or religion or where they're from or whatever. But I do have a concern with people moving to an area and then demanding that it change to suit them. The town where I came from has had a big problem with gentrification in the last 10-20 years. It's probably an even mix between people newly come to the area and people whose families have been there since year dirt, and suddenly for one reason or another they want to be part of the American middle-class dream. It's one thing to decide that you want to build yourself a McMansion and landscape your lawn and all that. It's another thing to demand that all the rural residents of your rural town, most of whom are rather poor, maintain their homes and yards to your scrupulous standards. Next thing you know, elderly people surviving on social security are eating cat food to survive because they have to pay fines because they're too infirm to cut their grass or repaint their fence, and their lovely neighbors who think they want this homey small-town experience, instead of offering a hand, are calling the police and having them cited. Turns out these people just want the "appearance" of a homey small town life without any of the actual connection or caring for others. Those are the people who burn my proverbial biscuits, and I don't care where they come from, I just want them to go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania