U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:13 PM

17,602 posts, read 21,797,274 times

Advertisements

Well that about says it.
Is it possible for any of you who frequently attack the influx of people from NY and NJ to just stop doing this? Like RIGHT NOW?

Is this a suck form of hazing performed by adults?

The influx will continue. I PERSONALLY know of over 20 people who are looking into relocation to OUR region/ And that's just me.

They all have jobs and are well educated professionals in their 30s 40s and early 50s. They are not even thinking about retirement.

Since moving here officially in November, we have not held up a bank, we have not sold nor taken drugs, and we have made so many improvements to our property. Our neighbors like us and can't believe what we have "done with the place." And we are not even one quarter of the way done.

We belong to a church, voted in the last election, have done voluteer work and have two kids enrolled at Holy Redeemer HS. We attend our daughter's games each week since she made the cheer leading squad. our children are in honors and AP classes. We frequent the library and we are both fascinated by the history of this region. I intend to join the historical society.

When ever possible we shop at local stores and small businesses. We are HELPING this area - not hurting it.

We moved here for the same reasons that anyone moves - to make a better life for our famikies, pure and simple.

BTW I have never ever experienced this level of hostility from people who I have met personally - with the exception of that guy from Walsh Reality who refused to sell us a house in West Pittston.

What goes around comes around.

That house is STILL on the market and I suspect it will be for a long long time. Karma is a bitxh.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:02 PM

1,689 posts, read 3,109,188 times
As the population continues to overgrow urban areas in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia you will continue to see an influx of migrants to the area. Add the rising costs which are happening faster in those regions and it will only grow the migration here faster. The seeds that we have planted will only continue to grow. Everywhere you look these days you see evidence of new migrants and I have met several people living here now that lived elsewhere only a few years ago.

This can be seen as a positive as it brings in needed economical stimulus to the area. Natives of the area should be pleased that this influx of new residents will help to revitalize a once dwindling population. This increase in residents will only help to strengthen the region and return it to its former glory a century ago. New times are coming for the area, let's all take a positive attitude towards this trend in 2011.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:06 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,969,187 times
We were transplants to the Poconos from the south (a job transfer relocated us back to TN a couple of years ago). We never experienced much animosity because we were "weird". We moved to the Poconos for a job, which to many natives seemed strange. They didn't bother with us too much, but there were people who were very hateful toward folks from NY & NJ. In one of our HOA meetings, a guy on the board went off about how he was "a native Pennsylvanian" not some transplant who was ruining the community, blah, blah, blah. My husband and I slowly turned and stared at each other, like in a bad movie. We couldn't believe what we were hearing. How stupid was this guy?!?

Well, on the flip side, I know that it's difficult to see a small, rural place undergo significant change. I do wish people like the board guy could dial down the hostility though. It's not helpful.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:58 PM

212 posts, read 397,186 times
we are part timers and like sheena12, we have made so much improvement to our property that was consider as an "abandon" house for many years. Out property, though it is tiny (why get a huge house to pay more tax for part time use?), it looks stunning now compare to just 7 months ago. We hired many local contractors and they bought materials from many local suppliers. We shop at the local weis and also belong to a local church group as well... though part timers. The Pastor of the church already know our family by names and we are welcome to the area as well. (being an asian family, well, kind of stand out in the Pocono, right). We are extremely polite and even bow to service we were offered. we dine out often which helps the local restaurants as well. Most of our black friday and Xmas shopping were done while we are on "vacation", therefore, not in NYC, but in PA. I think like sheena, our part time transplant vacationer has done more for the economy for pocono than most locals in the past months since we moved there. Anyway, that being said, we love the Pocono because of the "locals" as well.... since when asked, we also say we are the locals. I hate NY but I love the Poconos.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:27 AM

3,803 posts, read 4,809,912 times
this is not just restricted to transplants---i moved away for many years and then came back(was born here) we are also now viewed differently--even by some relatives----apparently unfamiliarity brings contempt----not so much in the larger towns---btw my relative is an official in west pittston and he personifies the aloofness of the residents---amazing since i have traveled more and mingled with a more professional,diverse crowd than he ever will

Old 01-02-2011, 01:37 AM

17,602 posts, read 21,797,274 times
poconogirl this is interesting because our daughter is Asian. She was adopted from Korea.
We have been treated well by everyone that we have met in person.
There are some people on this sub-forum who are resistant to change of any kind.
They lump all out of state transplants into one negative category

I LOVE PA and I would not move back to NY if you paid me!
I am a Pennsylvanian now and no one can tell me otherwise.

Chefkey is right - the influx of new people is an inevitable event and there are so many economic benefits to the community..

Frequently transplants, not unlike converts to a new religion; are the most exuberant and excited about their new home.

We fall into this group.

I WANT people to move to NEPA!

What I do NOT want are slumlords who break up homes and rent them out for profit.
Something needs to be done about this.

Yes folks just face it - transplants from your neighboring states are inevitable.

This is a GOOD thing.
Think about Wilkes Barre, for example in the 60s through 70s.
How did THAT work for you? People were fleeing for the 'burbs and urban blight was the norm.

I have had the opportunity to see both Scranton and Wilkes Barre change and grow over the past several years.

I saw the greatest change in Wilkes Barre. I enjoy both cities though, but Wilkes-Barre was ultimately more affordable.

All areas, if they are to thrive NEED newcomers to replace those who have moved away - or passed away. NEPA is no exception.

i AM VERY optimistic about the futures of both Scranton and Wilkes Barre - and no I am NOT delusional Demographics and social psychology are my educational background.
I feel certain when I see a trend.

Welcome us with open arms! As for people who really dislike the area for whatever reason, life is way too short to live someplace that you do not like.

Find a place you prefer - or work to improve the area.

As my Grandmother said "If you have nothing good to say don't say anything at all" (RIP Nana Burkhardt)

But please, if you hate it so much and you hate people from NY and NJ - think about moving someplace where you will be happier.

~ Sheena

Old 01-02-2011, 06:10 AM

996 posts, read 802,880 times
Sheena - for the most part, I agree with the general sentiment of your post, and think that constant negativity toward newcomers gets old.

However, not everyone that moved to NEPA in recent years have made a positive impact on the area like you and the other poster that responded.

Every transplant did not set up house ala Ward & June Cleaver. They came to this area for other reasons - gainful employment and neighborhood improvements are not tops on their list of things to do.

I am not saying that you are looking through rose-colored glasses, but I highly doubt that you went out of your way to see both sides of the transplant issue up close & personal.

I doubt that you visited the side streets of Hazleton and observed how numerous illegal aliens have overwhelmed the city and blew its budget to smitherenes by requiring more social services like emergency crews, police, medical assistance, etc. without deriving the necessary revenue to pay for the services.

I doubt you traveled to Pocono Country Place or the town of Tobyhannaand witnessed first hand what happens when the "undesirable city element" takes up residence in God's Country.

I doubt you know much about the extreme burden placed on Monroe County retired people - when their property taxes skyrocket each year to pay for additional services required to support the increased population of transplants (many of them who do not pay their own way).

If you are living on a fixed income, see your taxes rise year after year, and grow concerned about the ability to keep your house, I think it is pretty darn hard to smile and accept the "It Takes a Village" mentality to help out your fellow man.

Am I defending the naysayers? No.

However, I will not condemm their feelings since I have not walked a mile in their shoes.

Furthermore, I will not paint a flowery roadside billboard that focuses only on the perceived positives and completely ignores the negative aspects of uncontrolled development and immigration standards.

I'm lucky. My home is landlocked by govt property (state parks, game lands, Army Corp Land).
I will never have to endure some of the nonsense and crime others face each day.

I applaud your positive outlook, and I think NEPA is very fortunate to have you and your family as tax-paying residents. The area could certainly use more folks of your caliber, and I hope the trend continues.

p.s. - I love NY (far upstate NY). But I would not visit NYC for a free 5star Hotel stay and complimentary Broadway/Yankee tickets.
I have nothing really personal against the Big Apple.
But, if I want a taste of apple, I'll stop at the White Haven diner and get a slice of apple pie.

What do I know? - I'm just a confused country boy that is ready to step out the door and go call crows (and maybe a coyote) in the misty fragments of daylight.

I'm really looking forward to this morning's church service..

later.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:03 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,342,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
However, not everyone that moved to NEPA in recent years have made a positive impact on the area like you and the other poster that responded.

Every transplant did not set up house ala Ward & June Cleaver. They came to this area for other reasons - gainful employment and neighborhood improvements are not tops on their list of things to do.
Agree, I'm sure she hasn't watched some of these very old neighborhoods implode over the last 20 years as the undesirable element has moved in. Plymouth and Edwardsville come immediately to mind.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:13 AM

28,002 posts, read 19,677,561 times
Unfortunately, human beings seem to have an issue with anything new and this includes other people. I am not a transplant, born and raised here in Wilkes-Barre. But I, too, am sick to death of the constant degradation of transplants on this board and IRL.

It irritates me when people have this really weird way of looking at our area: like there was hardly any crime or drugs or drinking/driving before people from NYC, Philly and NJ started moving here.

As for Plymouth and Edwardsville, I have it on good authority that those neighborhoods went down hill after the coal mines closed up shop; not because of transplants moving into the area. But again, this is par for the course: blaming people different from us for economic and social downturns.

As for the people who constantly attack newcomers, it just reaffirms what I've always believed about kneejerk reactions to "different" people. People who have *that* strong of a reaction to other people are either uneducated or ignorant.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:16 AM

28,002 posts, read 19,677,561 times
Three major things contributed to the downfall of Wilkes-Barre in the 60s and 70s:

-1965 fire that destroyed a ton of businesses

-1972 flood

-the building of the Wyoming Valley Mall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania