Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:58 PM

11 posts, read 46,341 times

Advertisements

I witnessed something that I thought was odd and was hoping someone would comment on this.

Today a friend and I were driving from Analomink to Marshalls Creek. We passed a pull off with about a dozen of the huge red Salvation Army donation drop off boxes. When we first went by there were numerous cars parked with people walking back and forth to their trunks of their cars. There was a Salvation Army van there so we assumed these people were dropping things off. On our back we passed the pull off again and there where still a bunch of cars parked and it looked like people weren't dropping things off but picking through the donated items and taking them.

I thought it was illegal to take anything from the drop off boxes once donated. We were shocked by what we saw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 09:37 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,897,852 times
All I can say is many businesses have refused to allow the donation boxes on their property. The reason? People who insist on leaving their "donations" outside the boxes.

The boxes, when used properly, are secure once the items are deposited in the door. Leaving stuff outside the boxes makes it fair game for anyone passing by.

A store very near to where I live had the Sally boxes in their very large parking lot for years, but finally had them removed when they became a dumping ground for trash, and a magnet for people who just came to rummage and left even more of a mess.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 AM

996 posts, read 1,049,436 times
This type of offense should be handled by the Pa Game Commission.

Dole out the samepunishment rendered onto Dumpster-Diving Pa Black Bears -

Tag them so they are easily ID'd as a Nuisance Critter.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:02 AM

99 posts, read 234,086 times
If the point is to donate stuff for the poor, why complain when the poor take them? That's supposed to be the point, right? Not to resell stuff in the retail stores and raise money to proselytize to the down on their luck, right?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:34 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,811,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepadaisy View Post
If the point is to donate stuff for the poor, why complain when the poor take them?
I wouldn't be concerned about if it went to someone in need but If I donate something to an organization I don't expect someone to steal it. Besides that they might not be poor but instead might be taking the better items to sell.... the SA is left with all the crap no one wants.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:02 PM

11 posts, read 46,341 times
I hope that it was people in need taking these items but I highly doubt that in our society.

If I donate something to the Salvation Army, it is for the Salvation Army to benefit from my donation. That's why one donates to a charity..... to help a charity! My feelings are that the people taking from the donation containers are stealing. I understand that some people maybe in need but the cars that were parked as the trunks were filled were newer and didn't look like they would be driven by someone hard on their luck and/or in need of assistance. we actually took photos as we drove by the second time because it was shocking.

I remember years ago a news show like 20/20 or 60 minutes did an undercover investigation about people from the NY/NJ driving into Wilkes-barre and removing items from the SA containers only to be resold at vintage and antique stores in other states.I'm not insulting NY/NJ people in anyway. I'm only commenting on a newscast that I saw. I'm also sure this happens in other areas and states.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:43 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,811,595 times
You also have to watch the those with the flyers offering to pick up items for charity. Research the organization carefully, a lot of them are for profits with very little going to charity.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,174,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You also have to watch the those with the flyers offering to pick up items for charity. Research the organization carefully, a lot of them are for profits with very little going to charity.
That doesn't bother me too much, except the deception they use to get people to give. I'm happy to give away stuff just to get rid of it sometimes.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:52 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,117,280 times
There is NO SUCH THING AS CHARITY ... Every organization is in it for MONEY ... Bottom line is Money ..

The Salvation Army in Honesdale Just purchased Ashely Chevrolet's land and buildings for 1.5 million .. Seems to me they are doing great .. I'd throw things away before I'd give to them..
But I will give items to Woman's Resources and to Children's Hospitals As they GIVE the items away , Not resell them ..

Last edited by Riverside4ever; 01-04-2011 at 07:48 AM..

Old 01-04-2011, 07:17 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,174,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
There is NO SUCH THING AS CHARITY ... Every organization is in it for MONEY ... Bottom lone is Money ..

The Salvation Army in Honesdale Just purchased Ashely Chevrolet's land and buildings for 1.5 million .. Seems to me they are doing great .. I'd throw things away before I'd give to them..
But I will give items to Woman's Resources and to Children's Hospitals As they GIVE the items away , Not resell them ..
Of course charity exists. But charities take money to run and people cannot expect others not to get paid for their time.

Why did they purchase that land? I'm betting it has something to do with charity or social programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania