U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-15-2007, 08:30 PM

2,835 posts, read 6,991,019 times
Default KOZ tax breaks

Does anyone have any info. of KOZ tax breaks. I'm looking inot an apartment for my daughter, they offer these tax breaks, saying that there are state and wage tax exemptions. If the lease is in my name or my husbands, do we get the tax break? Is there income requirements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 04:59 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,289,067 times
If I'm not mistaken, these apply to businesses, and the tax breaks are for the business/employer, not individual people. It's a way to encourage businesses to move into an area - by promising lower taxes for a period of time.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:08 PM

2,835 posts, read 6,991,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
If I'm not mistaken, these apply to businesses, and the tax breaks are for the business/employer, not individual people. It's a way to encourage businesses to move into an area - by promising lower taxes for a period of time.
There is an apartment building that is advertizing these breaks, saying state and local taxes are exempt as well as major purchases for your apartment. It is a new apartment complex that was once abandoned projects.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:46 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,289,067 times
Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of any residential in this area. My local experience is that there was a township near me that had an opportunity to put in a KOZ to attract businesses and the township supervisors voted not to allow the KOZ, saying that there was not guarantee the businesses would hire local people. They might bring in their own people from elsewhere. The majority of the locals thought the supervisors were nuts. Even if a company does bring in employees from elsewhere, those employees have to live somewhere, buy their groceries and other things locally, their kids would go to the local schools, etc. It would have helped the economy tremendously and many thought those township supervisors were very short-sighted. So the area where the KOZ was proposed now has one business there and the rest of the land sits there vacant.

Maybe because the new apartment was a project at one time, and to encourage new growth and development in that area, is why the KOZ is being offered to residents.

This is interesting. Keep us posted on how it goes, and whether you find the answers to your questions about tax breaks and income limits, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania