U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,512,102 times

Advertisements

My car was robbed at the Gerrity's in Clarks Summit. A good friend of mine was murdered by his roommate in Wilkes-Barre. Crime, violent or otherwise, can happen anywhere.

That being said, I think I'd feel more comfortable walking through Kensington in Philly than through S. Wilkes-Barre nowadays. Of course I'm being facetious, but at least when you are in an area that you KNOW is unsafe, you know what to expect.

The sections of Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton and, to a lesser extent (at least from my POV) Scranton that are considered "dangerous" have only gotten that way in the past decade to decade-and-a-half, by my estimations. It's still unexpected and unusual to go into an area like that and feel unsafe.

When I was in high school in the late 80s/early 90s, Wilkes-Barre was the place to go clubbing. I never once felt unsafe, even though some of the places we went are the same places that I now may not go without someone with me. The sections that are unsafe in W-B are pretty small, too, but they are there. My significant other's father lives in one.

Yes, the OP is correct that it is all relative, but I don't think that's the right attitude to take. I think it's better for local residents, whether they are longtime or newcomers, to recognize when a neighborhood is going to pot and set out to do something about it, rather than allow the QOL to deteriorate to the point of no return. It's better to complain, IMO, than to shrug one's shoulders and say "well, at least it's not North Philly."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 06:18 AM

4,084 posts, read 7,904,030 times
Mod cut - removed deleted quote

LTCF does give you the right to conceal carry, but PA is an open carry state as well. You do not need a permit to openly carry a firearm.

Also if you are going to obtain a LTCF, then please read, learn and understand the PA firearms codes and laws in regards to when you are legally aloud to use deadly force or withdraw the forearm.

Many LEO's are not up to date on the laws and if you withdraw your firearm for any reason and the police become involved you can be arrested and detained due to a total lack of knowledge on the LEO's part.

You will find yourself dealing with defending your right to defend yourself in court.

Never assume that the police or DA know the laws in regards to firearms. Educate yourself for your own protection.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-07-2011 at 07:31 AM..

Old 01-07-2011, 07:30 AM

12,455 posts, read 27,063,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
As per TooBusyToday's suggestion in the "Offended by Comments Against Transplants" thread, which was veering into off-topic banter regarding slums/slumlords in NEPA, I have decided to start a new thread to discuss that very topic.

As I learn the ropes of a business venture I plan to bring to Wilkes-Barre in the coming years I find myself delivering Edible Arrangements to a variety of commercial and residential locations in and around Greater Pittsburgh. Not only do I deliver to some of the city's poshest upscale enclaves like Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Point Breeze, Highland Park, or Aspinwall, but I also deliver to "not-so-nice" areas such as Homewood, Larimer, Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar, Braddock, and Wilkinsburg, amongst others. I received a new digital camera for Christmas, and I plan to take some new photo tours of these areas in the near-future to give you all some "perspective" when you go off spouting about how "crime-ridden" or "slummy" Wilkes-Barre is. I feared for my life during a delivery to Homewood, as I went to a low-income housing project and found myself with the door shut behind me by three "thug"-looking larger-framed African-American males (I'm not racist, but it's certainly no coincidence that 90% of the murders in Pittsburgh involve African-American males). Thankfully after an uncomfortable 15 minutes of "joking" about robbing me and about me being white (interesting how blacks can make fun of whites but not the other way around, but I digress) they let me go and complimented me for having the "bravado" (or another "b" word to reference a part of the male anatomy) to actually deliver there---as if the order was a planned "initiation" or something. I got back into my van and was shaking, realizing how close I had come to being attacked. I NEVER felt that threatened in my life, even spending MUCH time walking around supposedly "dangerous" Downtown Wilkes-Barre after dark when I was a student at King's.

I'm relaying this very scary recent experience of mine while at work to you all because I'm TIRED of people talking about how "dangerous" Wilkes-Barre is. In Pittsburgh's troubled neighborhoods innocent bystanders such as myself run the risk of being a statistic. In Wilkes-Barre there may be many homicides for a city of 40,000, but it's mostly either white-trash picking off other white-trash over domestic disputes or blacks targeting other blacks. VERY rarely is a random person targeted for violence. In fact, in NEPA the ONLY two random acts of violence I can recall since the 1990s have been the murder of Mary Leo, a blind elderly woman, in a botched robbery in her Wilkes-Barre apartment, and the elderly man in Scranton whose throat was slit at random as he walked along a busy Downtown street in broad daylight. In Pittsburgh pizzerias refuse to deliver to certain neighborhoods (and after that scary experience I just had I'm going to ask if we can likewise remove certain zip codes, especially after another driver was nearly carjacked at gunpoint).

I can safely say there are plenty of BLIGHTED areas of NEPA---the entirety of Edwardsville, most of Plymouth, large swaths of Pittston, and parts of both Wilkes-Barre and Scranton immediately come to mind; however, I've seen the word "ghetto" tossed around to describe some local neighborhoods. If you want to see TRUE ghetto then spend some time in Pittsburgh's Homewood neighborhood or Ward 8 or Southeast DC, as I have. Spend some time in parts of Philadelphia or Camden, NJ. Edwardsville, for as disgusting of a place as it is, doesn't hold a candle to those places. Ditto any other part of NEPA.

I just think some of you really need to be given a "reality check" before you write off certain areas in NEPA as being "dangerous" or a "ghetto" when they really aren't. How many people avoided moving to Wilkes-Barre over the years because of the negative image many had of it being "unsafe" thanks to such hysteria?
Back on topic please

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:38 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,613,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
LTCF does give you the right to conceal carry, but PA is an open carry state as well. You do not need a permit to openly carry a firearm.
You can open carry as long as you don't have to drive anywhere. The moment you get into a vehicle, as a driver or passenger, you need a LTCF. For $25, a LTCF lets you: carry concealed, carry in a car, carry in state parks, carry in Philly, and more.

As for the OP, I agree. When I think of ghetto, I think of a lot of boarded up homes, trash on the streets, graffiti everywhere, drug dealers out in the open, etc... Haven't found anything matching that description in Scranton.

File:Camden NJ poverty.jpg - Wikimedia Commons (Public Domain)

Old 01-22-2011, 06:26 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
You can open carry as long as you don't have to drive anywhere. The moment you get into a vehicle, as a driver or passenger, you need a LTCF. For $25, a LTCF lets you: carry concealed, carry in a car, carry in state parks, carry in Philly, and more.

As for the OP, I agree. When I think of ghetto, I think of a lot of boarded up homes, trash on the streets, graffiti everywhere, drug dealers out in the open, etc... Haven't found anything matching that description in Scranton.

File:Camden NJ poverty.jpg - Wikimedia Commons (Public Domain)
Yep, same here. Though I tend to think of Philly or Baltimore first.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:05 AM

96 posts, read 136,299 times
I am praying that Wilkes Barre goes completely ghetto so that I can afford to buy a cheap house to renovate downtown. Wilkes Barre is a hidden gem and I don't want people to discover it....yet.

I am amazed that residents don't realize what opportunities they have within a 30 mile radius.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:56 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockyluvr View Post
I am praying that Wilkes Barre goes completely ghetto so that I can afford to buy a cheap house to renovate downtown. Wilkes Barre is a hidden gem and I don't want people to discover it....yet.

I am amazed that residents don't realize what opportunities they have within a 30 mile radius.
Wishing for people to be in poverty and live violent lives so you can make a buck? Lovely.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Wishing for people to be in poverty and live violent lives so you can make a buck? Lovely.
Huh? What?

No, so that I can relocate there and live. The trend is moving towards urban living and I want to be part of it but can't afford sky high property prices. Again, I think that residents take the area for granted. You have colleges, restaurants, libraries, shopping, a hospital, parks, a river you can boat on, and an arena...all within a few miles radius. Cities are so spread out now. You don't even realize that you are sitting on a gold mine of opportunities.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:53 AM

6,219 posts, read 7,395,658 times
I'm pretty sure most people are aware of the amenities you mentioned. And many others that you didn't. (I know Magritte does.) We're not all sitting in our homes with the doors locked and the blinds drawn. People are patronizing all those entities you admire so they must realize what opportunities there are.

Why don't you bite the bullet, pay the price and move now? Invest yourself in the city to prevent it from going ghetto.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I'm pretty sure most people are aware of the amenities you mentioned. And many others that you didn't. (I know Magritte does.) We're not all sitting in our homes with the doors locked and the blinds drawn. People are patronizing all those entities you admire so they must realize what opportunities there are.

Why don't you bite the bullet, pay the price and move now? Invest yourself in the city to prevent it from going ghetto.
Everything hangs on getting a job in the area and the housing prices. Like I said before, I like to rehab so I want something I can fix up and hasn't already been done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania