Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,943 times

Advertisements

Here's a Google Maps link to Concrete City.

Concrete City is back in the woods just off Front St / Hanover St in Nanticoke. It's directly across the street from some mining operation with a big sign. Park along the shoulder (NOT in the company's parking area). You'll see a non-drivable dirt road on the opposite side -- follow this about 1/4 mile into the woods. You will eventually see what looks like a few dozen concrete bunkers -- that's Concrete City.

It's easiest & safest to follow the road the entire way around to the back side of CC. That also seems to be where most of the paintballers congregate. In my experience they are usually pretty cool about letting their teams know there are "civilians" around.

I can't stress this enough, though -- those buildings are dangerous. Visit at your own risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 11:18 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
Here's a Google Maps link to Concrete City.

Concrete City is back in the woods just off Front St / Hanover St in Nanticoke. It's directly across the street from some mining operation with a big sign. Park along the shoulder (NOT in the company's parking area). You'll see a non-drivable dirt road on the opposite side -- follow this about 1/4 mile into the woods. You will eventually see what looks like a few dozen concrete bunkers -- that's Concrete City.

It's easiest & safest to follow the road the entire way around to the back side of CC. That also seems to be where most of the paintballers congregate. In my experience they are usually pretty cool about letting their teams know there are "civilians" around.

I can't stress this enough, though -- those buildings are dangerous. Visit at your own risk.
Thanks! Looks like I have to make a trip when the snow melts in the spring. I'll be careful, I promise.

You've probably already seen this site, but here's a little history of the place along with a snapshot of an old postcard.

The Concrete City

Old 02-07-2011, 11:19 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,852 times
Oops, I just realized that you were the author of the blog that Magritte posted. Sorry!

Old 08-05-2011, 09:35 PM

37 posts, read 145,082 times
Default i was just in centralia pa and made this video

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
By Ghost towns I am being inclusive - towns that are empty such as Centralia would qualify. Also towns with more than their fair share of reported paranormal activity.

I know that not everyone believes in the Paranormal.
I am not posting to find out your beliefs on this subject.

I am assuming that everyone believes in towns left empty and abandoned.

Because of certain experiences I have had in my life I believe in both.
But that's not the question.

Are there any Ghost towns IN or near NEPA?

If so which type? Have you been there? My 17 year old son has a burning desire to visit Centrailia I am a little afraid and I think it could be dangerous, against the law or both.
centralia- not much to see there realy-just odd and eerie-its not dangerous or against the law a big road runs right through there-just nothing there realy-2 houses people live in rest are gone-see my videos i just made last week
‪centralia pa movie 8-2-2011ghost town+smoking coal mine+deserted roads- town‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-06-2011, 12:11 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times
Default More on Concrete City

Cooncrete City was in large part, an experuiment in "social engineering" by the former Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad. The Lackawanna served a nuber pf cement plants in Northampton County, and used a great deal of the stuff in thr complete re-building of two stretches of ts Main Line (the Lackawanna Cutoff in Western New Jersey and the Nicholson Cutoff, with its enormous viaduct, north of Scranton). The DL&W built many of its interlocking (signal) towers from reinforced conrete; several survive, and one, at Tobyhanna, is in use as an office today.

Williammsport's Thomas Taber produced a three-volume history of the DL&W back in the 1970's, and one photo shows the winner of a "beautification" contest staged at Concrete City during its heydey. Nanticoke was at one time home to four major breakers served by the DL&W, which could generate over 200 carloads of coal daily. I's sure many of those employed called Concrete City home.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:55 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Concrete City is indeed an interesting example of social engineering in that it was an attempt to localize those in upper level positions and effectively segregate them from anyone who might be a "rabble rouser" in the eyes of the DLand W.

They truly showed there "feet of concrete" when they refused to hook up with the municipal sewer system.

Are the volumes that you reference available or out of print? Sounds so interesting!

Old 08-09-2011, 04:03 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,048 times
Watch what vents you put your hands near in Centralia...LOL My 12yr old son and his buddy pee'd in a few...trying to put out the fire...LOL

Does Scranton count as a ghost town since its so empty...LOL Just kidding, my wife and I might drive down to Nanticoke and check out that concrete city thing...Looks interesting..

Old 08-09-2011, 04:59 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,454,883 times
It is interesting. My son goes there to take photographs of the ruins of what was once designed as a Working Mans Utopia - complete with fountains, a kiddie pool and lavish court yards.

A bit sad how it was just "let go" It could have been a museum of sorts. Actually it is one to the growing number of "urban archeologists"

Old 08-09-2011, 05:53 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,048 times
here is some cool info on it...

The Concrete City

Old 08-11-2011, 12:11 AM

110 posts, read 193,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
By Ghost towns I am being inclusive - towns that are empty such as Centralia would qualify. Also towns with more than their fair share of reported paranormal activity.

I know that not everyone believes in the Paranormal.
I am not posting to find out your beliefs on this subject.

I am assuming that everyone believes in towns left empty and abandoned.

Because of certain experiences I have had in my life I believe in both.
But that's not the question.

Are there any Ghost towns IN or near NEPA?

If so which type? Have you been there? My 17 year old son has a burning desire to visit Centrailia I am a little afraid and I think it could be dangerous, against the law or both.
If you want to see a real ghost town go to Pithole, PA and Drakes Well it is a nice weekend getaway and an easy drive to get to plus learn some history, Pithole at one time had 20,000 people there and in a few years time went to 0 nothing really left there but it is still amazing, this is in NWPA but well worth the trip before school starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania