Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 05:47 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

I think there might be a Slovak Patch Town or the remnants of one, not far from where I live. Near me is a Slovak Mans Club which seems like a bar, a grocery store with what appears to be a Slovak name and a few Slovak Churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 03:01 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
A good example of a patch town - preserved the way it would look more than a hundred years ago - is Eckley Miner's Village (now a "living history museum"). Not far from Eckley - a real town now but once a company patch town is the village of Jeddo, just outside Hazleton. The cheaply built wooden houses now have aluminum siding and other improvements, but you can still see it's just two or three streets of identical houses.

In the nineteenth century, immigrant coal miners were indeed nothing more than slaves. The coal company owned your house - which was usually a crummy cheaply built four room shack with an outhouse, you had to buy stuff from the company store, as a miner you worked very long hours at a back-breaking job, there were no benefits. If a miner died in a mine accident his dead body would be deposited at the front door of his widow's house and she and the family were given one week to vacate the property.

See the other thread here on "Anthracite Coal Miners."

Old 01-13-2011, 10:21 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I have seen the thread and posted there too.
We visited Eckley Miner's Village once. It was nice but all of the buildings were locked so it was not exactly a living village, it was closed - except for the gift shop. which was up and running.

Is it always that way or did I visit on an off day?

Well I bought the DVD about the Molly Maguiers, but I wished that there had been a tour and that all of the buildings were not locked.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:00 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
A good example of a patch town - preserved the way it would look more than a hundred years ago - is Eckley Miner's Village (now a "living history museum"). Not far from Eckley - a real town now but once a company patch town is the village of Jeddo, just outside Hazleton. The cheaply built wooden houses now have aluminum siding and other improvements, but you can still see it's just two or three streets of identical houses.

In the nineteenth century, immigrant coal miners were indeed nothing more than slaves. The coal company owned your house - which was usually a crummy cheaply built four room shack with an outhouse, you had to buy stuff from the company store, as a miner you worked very long hours at a back-breaking job, there were no benefits. If a miner died in a mine accident his dead body would be deposited at the front door of his widow's house and she and the family were given one week to vacate the property.

See the other thread here on "Anthracite Coal Miners."

Wow Thats kinda rough living ...

Old 01-13-2011, 11:44 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Wow Thats kinda rough living ...
hence the molly mcguires i guess

Old 01-13-2011, 01:40 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have seen the thread and posted there too.
We visited Eckley Miner's Village once. It was nice but all of the buildings were locked so it was not exactly a living village, it was closed - except for the gift shop. which was up and running.

Is it always that way or did I visit on an off day?

Well I bought the DVD about the Molly Maguiers, but I wished that there had been a tour and that all of the buildings were not locked.

It was that way when we visited three years ago. Too bad they don't have the money to restore the miners' homes.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:52 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Listen, folks: you gotta visit Eckley on those special weekends during the warmer months when most of the houses are open and there are costumed "interpreters" describing life in a coal mining patch town. I was there in late August and there were even Civil War reenactors present. Some of the houses that were open illustrated the way a lowly laborer would live, another one how a recently arrived immigrant miner would live, still another one how a senior miner who was 10 years on the job. There was also a house furnished and decorated in the style of the 1940s showing the improvements made for unionized miners, the doctor's house and office, and lastly the mansion of the mine owner.

Next time you go make sure all the houses are open and the interpreters are on, it will make for a much better experience.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 PM

923 posts, read 3,094,744 times
In Scranton, just slang for 'the other side of the tracks' lower hill section - was always known as 'the patch'

Old 02-12-2011, 08:43 AM

19 posts, read 30,404 times
A "patch town" is the local name for company town. Those who said that they were built by mining companies to house miners and their families are correct. I'm not sure about Wilkes Barre "patch towns" but to give a few examples, Hazleton's are:
Beaver Meadows, Stockton, Milnesville, Tresckow, Freeland, Eckley, West Hazleton, Weatherly, and Jeddo (among others)

If you're familiar with any of these areas, you'd know that Jeddo, for example, is very small in size compared to Weatherly, or West Hazleton. Each of these areas is very different from each other if you think of them as being entirely separate from each other. Some of these aren't even really recognized as being not-Hazleton, unless of course you're up on your local history and/or you live in the "patch town". For instance, I never heard of the name Milnesville until I met someone who lived there. I had always thought it was just Hazleton/Hazle Township.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:46 AM

19 posts, read 30,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Listen, folks: you gotta visit Eckley on those special weekends during the warmer months when most of the houses are open and there are costumed "interpreters" describing life in a coal mining patch town. I was there in late August and there were even Civil War reenactors present. Some of the houses that were open illustrated the way a lowly laborer would live, another one how a recently arrived immigrant miner would live, still another one how a senior miner who was 10 years on the job. There was also a house furnished and decorated in the style of the 1940s showing the improvements made for unionized miners, the doctor's house and office, and lastly the mansion of the mine owner.

Next time you go make sure all the houses are open and the interpreters are on, it will make for a much better experience.
My great-grandparents lived in one of those houses. When I was a child my great-grandmother still lived there (in the early 80's). I'm glad they're able to keep the museum going. That's a little slice of NEPA history right there. Definitely worth a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania