Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 06:00 AM

889 posts, read 2,574,623 times

Advertisements

Link: Times-Tribune website to begin charging fee - News - The Times-Tribune
Quote:
The Times-Tribune will begin charging a subscription fee to view most content on its website, on Tuesday, Jan. 18. Using a fee structure known as the "metered model," the first 10 stories viewed over a 30-day period will be free. After that, readers will be asked to subscribe to view further stories.

Visits to the home page and obituaries, blogs and classified ads will continue to be free.

Subscribers to the print edition of The Times-Tribune may purchase unlimited access to stories, photos, videos, reader comments, databases and other content for $2.99 a month, or $19.99 annually. Those without print subscriptions may purchase unlimited access for $6.99 a month.
Let's discuss. I'll start. Their news is not that great (and that's being kind), and if it weren't free on their website, I'd just skip over it for other sources I have bookmarked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 06:01 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
Seems to be happening everywhere with online newspapers

Old 01-13-2011, 06:12 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
For all the newspapers starting this. There are so many others to visit without an online cost.
Anyhow, we still go buy the newspaper. Kind of like buying a book instead of a Kindle.....

Old 01-13-2011, 06:12 AM

889 posts, read 2,574,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Seems to be happening everywhere with online newspapers
Although not really with the good ones, they seem to be able to pull in readers with their content and get acceptable revenue from selling ads on their websites. I think the lesser ones revert to subscription fees to compensate for fewer page views and lower web-page advertisement revenue.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:41 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
Although not really with the good ones, they seem to be able to pull in readers with their content and get acceptable revenue from selling ads on their websites. I think the lesser ones revert to subscription fees to compensate for fewer page views and lower web-page advertisement revenue.
I agree ,I read the NYPost and NYDaily news everyday

I hope they always stay free

Its the smaller papers that are charging ..

I did find a slick way of reading more then 10 articles a month at the Pocono record

Old 01-13-2011, 06:51 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Meh. I'm not impressed by much of what they deem to be "journalism" anyways. The Times-Leader is, in my opinion, the best paper in NEPA.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:54 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
I really don't see why people think that newspapers shouldn't charge online subscription fees. There is still work and writing that goes into the paper, even if it is "just" online.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:55 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I really don't see why people think that newspapers shouldn't charge online subscription fees. There is still work and writing that goes into the paper, even if it is "just" online.
I agree with you, Magritte. If the Times-Leader began charging an online subscription fee I'd pay it, actually, because even though I'm hundreds of miles away I do still like to be kept "in the loop" about Wilkes-Barre's ongoing revitalization.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 AM

23 posts, read 28,266 times
Why charge when your competitors are offering it for free? Do you really feel your news is better than another paper in the same region, covering the same news? Why turn someone away from reading your news stories online by charging a price?

If the Times Tribune is that hard up for money, they should seek more creative ways to increase their profits. For one, they could have raised their advertisement rates on the website. How many readers will they lose because of this pay per month plan? I'm going to take a guess at 50% .. that's 50% less traffic to your website, and 50% less reasons for someone to advertise with your online newspaper.

Just a quick thought.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times
The Times has chosen to pick political sides in Scranton and that has hurt their readership. The are blatantly biased in their writing and many people frankly have tired of their slanted reporting.

I know a lot of people that have canceled their subscriptions. Myself and family included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania