U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:49 AM

14,242 posts, read 7,921,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I personally am fascinated by the history of the anthracite coal miners of eastern Pennsylvania. I would gladly travel from Philly to Wilkes-Barre to see such a museum. However I wonder how many people share my interest? Not too many, I'll wager. I am also dying to stay at the Stegmeier Mansion Bed & Breakfast.

For the last time (I had to point this out in another thread) if you want to see the insides of the miner's homes in Eckley Miner's Village you must go on those weekends during the warmer months when they are open and there are costumed interpreters describing life in a 19th century coal "patch town." Yes they do open several of the houses, which are restored and furnished to illustrate the type of living quarters a laborer or slate-picker would have; a recently arrived immigrant miner; an established skilled miner; the doctor's office; the company store; the mine owner's mansion; the Catholic and Protestant churches, etc.
I understand how Eckley works having visited it a few times. I still think it would do better if it was more of a full time living history museum. Kind of like Williamsburg, but obviously, on a smaller scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 12:17 PM

25,886 posts, read 44,198,304 times
1.) As a fiscal conservative I do not believe this is the appropriate time to be squandering our scarce tax dollars on such a risky venture that is almost certainly going to be operating in red ink. Wilkes-Barre, unlike Scranton, is actually pretty healthy economically with a balanced budget and a sky-high bond/credit rating. I'd prefer it to stay that way. I'm all for loosening our pursestrings---wisely---to increase foot traffic in the city, but this is one enterprise that I don't believe should be a private/public partnership.

2.) Mr. Burke's "I'll take my toys and go home to NJ" mentality in regards to abandoning this project in its entirety if he can't secure this ONE building in particular is reprehensible in my eyes. Just how dedicated IS he to this project, exactly? I like the idea of the Huber Breaker in Ashley being used as the site for this museum.

3.) Contrary to popular belief I don't believe Mayor Leighton is opposing this project being housed in this particular building because of "back-door deals". ANY mayor should realize that a new museum would lure visitors to the city---visitors who'd be fleeced of their dollars as they wander to Rodano's for lunch, Cafe Toscana or Katana for dinner, to see a movie at Cinema 14, to see a show at the Kirby, to browse the art galleries, to sip a latte from Starbuck's while reading a book at Barnes & Noble, etc. I have a feeling he's working closely with at least one private developer who may just have a MUCH better "fit" for the space and may not be at liberty to disclose details right now for fear of derailing the project. That building is GORGEOUS. It should house the best possible use.

4.) There is ample parking in Downtown Wilkes-Barre. There are now angled parking spaces along Public Square since the buses have been relocated to the intermodal transit center along North Washington Street. The parking garages are rarely, if ever, full. I never had trouble locating parking while a student at King's.

5.) Can we please tone down the negativity about Wilkes-Barre? No, the city is most certainly NOT perfect; however, I can safely say it looks better now in 2011 than it has at any other point since I was born in 1986. Yes, there are still drug deals going down. Yes, there are still issues with vandalism, graffiti, smash-and-grabs from vehicles, purse-snatchings, and the rare mugging. For a city of 41,000 I've ALWAYS felt safe walking around. Being the RANDOM target of a VIOLENT crime in Wilkes-Barre is rare. Most of the homicides there are lowlives picking off one another as they fight over "being disrespected" or over domestic disputes. Social Darwinism, anyone?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:18 PM

21,417 posts, read 14,774,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I like the idea of the Huber Breaker in Ashley being used as the site for this museum.
While I think the Huber would be great for a museum there is tremendous hurdle. The issue with the Huber is you're talking millions of dollars just to make it safe and begin to preserve it.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
While I think the Huber would be great for a museum there is tremendous hurdle. The issue with the Huber is you're talking millions of dollars just to make it safe and begin to preserve it.
Exactly. I'd love that location for a museum but the costs make me go LOL

Old 01-16-2011, 07:30 PM

996 posts, read 252,917 times
Quote:

3.) Contrary to popular belief I don't believe Mayor Leighton is opposing this project being housed in this particular building because of "back-door deals". ANY mayor should realize that a new museum would lure visitors to the city---visitors who'd be fleeced of their dollars as they wander to Rodano's for lunch, Cafe Toscana or Katana for dinner, to see a movie at Cinema 14, to see a show at the Kirby, to browse the art galleries, to sip a latte from Starbuck's while reading a book at Barnes & Noble, etc. I have a feeling he's working closely with at least one private developer who may just have a MUCH better "fit" for the space and may not be at liberty to disclose details right now for fear of derailing the project. That building is GORGEOUS. It should house the best possible use.

5.) Can we please tone down the negativity about Wilkes-Barre?

There is a difference between negativity and disclosing FACTS...

Instead of reading the Chamber of Commerce reports on the Times Leader website, you need to dig a bit for the real information behind the scenes.

Leighton will pass by no chance to put a buck in his pocket - either via his real estate company or the old-fasioned back pocket stuff of an envelope full of cash.

Perhaps they should build the museum in the old River Road Bakery Building - to which Leighton was instrumental in forgiving all past due taxes due the County & WB City and gave a sweetheart deal to Leo Glodzik, owner of LAG Transport - the contracted tower for WB City, the SIL of Louis Denaples. Glodzik was put ahead of other residents that attempted to bid on the property and were blocked by Leighton.

Pretty sweet how the illustrious Mayor looks out for the common-Joe constituent.

btw - the amount of forgiven taxes on the bakery property was over $40G - about the approx cost to repair the broken-down fountain in Public Square.

p.s. - your description of "enlightened people frolicking around with Caffe Lattes is hysterical". You must be watching Sex & the City re-runs again.

I hear the panhandlers in WB are high class too - they carry Starbucks cups to store the loose change they beg off passerbys.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:59 AM

Are we back to bashing WB again? ::yawn::

Old 01-17-2011, 06:32 AM

25,886 posts, read 44,198,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Are we back to bashing WB again? ::yawn::
It's the cool thing to do, apparently, when you live in a community with more deer than people.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 AM

1,980 posts, read 1,941,966 times
Quote:
It's the cool thing to do, apparently, when you live in a community with more deer than people.
I would love to live with the deer in the country listening to the birds. How awesome!!!!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I would love to live with the deer in the country listening to the birds. How awesome!!!!
I keep my yap shut about rural communities because I really don't have a clue what it's like to live in one, save 3 hellacious months a few years ago.

I guess I don't understand the constant need of some to shat all over a place they readily admit they know nothing about. (not directed at you Sue)

Old 01-17-2011, 05:08 PM

224 posts, read 47,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I keep my yap shut about rural communities because I really don't have a clue what it's like to live in one, save 3 hellacious months a few years ago.

I guess I don't understand the constant need of some to shat all over a place they readily admit they know nothing about. (not directed at you Sue)
'Shat'.... damn, I do love that word,,, kinda biblical, but wait, Paul Simon once used it in a song in the 'Sixties'

"BLESS-ED ARE THE SPAT UPON
SHAT UPON...'

Tonight when I bring my Golden Retriever back from his walk, I will say to my beautiful wife...
Te Amo, mi espousa....Myles shat t'night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania