Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 05:15 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalboy View Post
'Shat'.... damn, I do love that word,,, kinda biblical, but wait, Paul Simon once used it in a song in the 'Sixties'

"BLESS-ED ARE THE SPAT UPON
SHAT UPON...'

Tonight when I bring my Golden Retriever back from his walk, I will say to my beautiful wife...
Te Amo, mi espousa....Myles shat t'night!
LOLOL

That was my way of saying a naughty word and getting it through the CD filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 05:17 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Museum site doubt expressed | The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre, PA

WILKES-BARRE – Todd Vonderheid is supportive of bringing an Anthracite Miners Museum to the city – but only of the concept, not the proposed site.

Burke bristled at the suggestion that the old bank building isn’t the best site for his museum. He said suggesting an alternative site is out of the question.

“I’ll say this much: If we don’t get that building, there will be no Anthracite Miners Museum,” Burke said from his New Jersey home. “It’s that simple.”

What do you think of the proposed museum? The site?

What about Burke's assertion that it's the old bank building or nothing?
C'mon people, try to stay on-topic please....

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:11 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
C'mon people, try to stay on-topic please....
I'm surprised you haven't just resorted to bashing your head off a doorframe yet trying to reign everyone in! LOL!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:34 PM

144 posts, read 223,206 times
I think the Huber Breaker in Wilkes-Barre is the best place for an anthracite museum. It's the largest of it's kind in the entire world & it is the one and only remaining coal breaker in all of NEPA. If I'm not mistaken, there are actually plans in motion to designate the site as a museum.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCityTrash View Post
I think the Huber Breaker in Wilkes-Barre is the best place for an anthracite museum. It's the largest of it's kind in the entire world & it is the one and only remaining coal breaker in all of NEPA. If I'm not mistaken, there are actually plans in motion to designate the site as a museum.
I think the Huber Breaker would be a good place also.
Instead of arguing about where to have an Anthracite coal museum, why don't we all agree that we should have an Anthracite Coal Museum.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:53 AM

63 posts, read 88,812 times
I thought there was a coal museum in NEPA.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
First thing to understand is there are different fields of anthracite. The northern filed is primarily the Scranton Wilkes Barre area. Now that I think about it, it would have made for interesting observation in the topic about what compromises the Wyoming Valley because this field of coal pretty much mimics the Wyoming Valley and Scranton area. Below this is the southern field and others which is centered on the Pottsville area.

If you just want to stick to the Scranton/W-B area there is one museum in Scranton which also includes the Lackawanna mine tour The primary draw there is they take you into a mine which is pretty cool if you have never been in a mine. I'd recommend it for anyone. The museum itself is a fair size but it's really not something you could compare to what the Huber could be. There is simply nothing that beats being able to show the real deal and as the Huber is the last breaker in this area of it's time. Once it's gone, it's gone.

These are the mezie cones which is used to separate rock from the coal, when it was built there was nine large ones as depicted here and two slightly smaller ones. They have a solotion of water and magnetite which is spun in cyclone action, this increases the specific gravity of the water allowing the coal to float. The rock sinks because it is much heavier. Note the size of the man, the diameter of the cone is nearly 10 feet across. How do you put this in museum? Moreso certainly 10 of them lined up would make a bigger impression.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:25 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

(Deleted the great diagrams...)

If you just want to stick to the Scranton/W-B area there is one museum in Scranton which also includes the Lackawanna mine tour The primary draw there is they take you into a mine which is pretty cool if you have never been in a mine. I'd recommend it for anyone. The museum itself is a fair size but it's really not something you could compare to what the Huber could be. There is simply nothing that beats being able to show the real deal and as the Huber is the last breaker in this area of it's time. Once it's gone, it's gone.

These are the mezie cones which is used to separate rock from the coal, when it was built there was nine large ones as depicted here and two slightly smaller ones. They have a solotion of water and magnetite which is spun in cyclone action, this increases the specific gravity of the water allowing the coal to float. The rock sinks because it is much heavier. Note the size of the man, the diameter of the cone is nearly 10 feet across. How do you put this in museum? Moreso certainly 10 of them lined up would make a bigger impression.
It sure looks impractical to duplicate this in any conventional building, let alone the 'total experience' of the size and other technical aspects of the breakers that once dominated the landscape of this area. It would be great if this breaker could be preserved and eventually refurbished enough to allow visitors and 'tours' etc. ("Great idea"...but...) I haven't seen it up close but know that this can be a VERY costly effort.

As far as two museums, why not? Together, with the small but excellent one at McDade Park with the adjacent coal mine tour, combined with the trains at Steamtown, they would just provide a better travel draw to NEPA in general. ("Tourists" would regard NEPA as a destination for a weekend, an add-on to a college visit, or a stopover on a longer trip. They hardly make the same distinction between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre that many locals do.)

If W-B had something like this to offer, even Eckley Village becomes a little 'closer' as part of the overall 'attraction'.

Disclaimer....I am not commenting on the costs and feasibility, just 'the dream', and its potential.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
I haven't seen it up close but know that this can be a VERY costly effort.
Yes it would be huge amount and that's the primary issue especially with the way things are now. On the other hand it's last chance to save one out of hundreds that once existed.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 AM

144 posts, read 223,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
First thing to understand is there are different fields of anthracite. The northern filed is primarily the Scranton Wilkes Barre area. Now that I think about it, it would have made for interesting observation in the topic about what compromises the Wyoming Valley because this field of coal pretty much mimics the Wyoming Valley and Scranton area. Below this is the southern field and others which is centered on the Pottsville area.

It's cool that Scranton has that, but I HATE Scranton!!!!!! They're like the brother who got a free scholarship to law school when you're still stuck working at McDonald's. Furthermore, Scranton's got a lot to do & nobody to do it. Wilkes-Barre is a 3rd the land size with just about the same size population & less than half the attractions & excitement. I don't mean to downtalk anybody here, but it just seems like Wilkes-Barre has a more homey feel. People are more polite. When I go to Scranton, all I see is virtually empty streets with one or two people giving me dirty looks. Also, Wilkes-Barre is an extremely local-history-oriented place & I'm not sure I could say the same for Scranton. I just think we definitely need more places to celebrate our rich heritage here. Wilkes-Barre is very important in many areas of history & many people don't even know about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania