Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:06 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,899 times

Advertisements

Hubby's job is really wanting us to move from SLC, UT to Scranton, PA. We are a mid 30's married couple w/ 2 elementary school aged kids. I love hiking, sports, history, geocaching, spending time w/ friends & the family.

Please be honest & candid, what's it like living there? I'll beat you to the punch & say, no, we are not mormon. I am from NE Ohio & moved to Utah w/ hubby's work just over 4 years ago. I really love it here & don't want to move. I have made a ton of friends. I'm mostly afraid because I'll be a stay at home Mom & wanting to do things during the day w/ others. Is Scranton like NE Ohio, as in, cloudy alot, not so great economy, most wives have to work, everyone smokes, & people have the 'union' mentality? Boy, did I just lay it out there. lol Don't think I'm bashing Scranton, I am not, I have never been there. I am stating how it is in NE Ohio & worried Scranton is kinda the same way.

Where are good areas to rent a home, good schools, are there Mom's groups to join, what percent of Moms would you guess do stay home during the day? Out here in Utah, I'd venture 75% ish of Moms are stay at home, so it's nice for me. It's sunny all the time out here, & the mountains are beautiful. Hardly anyone smokes, it's really clean & family friendly. I'm just nervous & would like honest answers from people who live in or around Scranton.

Thanks for any help! =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 01:44 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,573 times
Yes like Northeast Ohio. Think Youngstown, or a much smaller Toledo. Typical, cold winter, rust belt, northeastern small/mid size city. BTW Scranton/Wilkes-Barre was just voted to have the second highest smoking rate in the nation. You hit the nail on the head about smoking alot, everyone has to work to survive (except welfare recipients), cloudy, and a union stronghold, but there is alot of state parks and natural area's, and alot to do for such a small area.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:46 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
From your description of NE Ohio, NE PA is basically NE Ohio with mountains. Cloudy a lot? Check. Not so great economy? Check. Lots of smokers? Check. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre ranks no. 2 for smoking - News - The Times-Tribune
Union mentality? Check. However, sounds like your husband already has a job, and if he's getting moved all that way, I assume it pays decent. One good thing about the area is a low cost of living, so you should have no problem affording to be a stay-at-home mom.

You're also in luck with your outdoor interests...lots of outdoor recreation here. Great area for hiking. Lots of ski resorts around. Sports also. For pro sports games and other bigger city type of things, you have Philadelphia and New York within a 2 hour drive, and Baltimore and Washington not much further.

And if your name indicates you're an Ohio State fan, you'll be surrounded by Penn State fans around here. Notre Dame is also big here due to the high population of Irish Catholics.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:47 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Yes like Northeast Ohio. Think Youngstown, or a much smaller Toledo.
But we're nowhere near as crime-ridden as Youngstown, though.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times
Well I used to live in SLC every winter for 3 months a year up on Wolcott by the frats.....I did this for about 9 years. When I wasn't out there I was here in Scranton. Its apples an oranges from there to hear. There is really nothing in comparison between SLC and hear. The hills that the U of U sit on and in front of are about as big as the hills here. Definitely not the Wasatch front.

Skiing is horrid compared to anywhere in your area. You will not find that hip, 30's family vibe with the activities indoor and outdoor like you have there.

There is no scene, if you know what I mean.

If you have to do it, then its not that bad and you can find some stuff to keep busy. There is some hiking and mountain biking areas that are good. There is some climbing areas that are great, but short. There is even some good ice climbing if you know where to look, but again Utah its not.

If all else fails your a 6 hour drive from New Hampshire or Vermont for the weekends to get a semi-vibe like you have in SLC.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:55 PM

224 posts, read 228,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Well I used to live in SLC every winter for 3 months a year up on Wolcott by the frats.....I did this for about 9 years. When I wasn't out there I was here in Scranton. Its apples an oranges from there to hear. There is really nothing in comparison between SLC and hear. The hills that the U of U sit on and in front of are about as big as the hills here. Definitely not the Wasatch front.

Skiing is horrid compared to anywhere in your area. You will not find that hip, 30's family vibe with the activities indoor and outdoor like you have there.

There is no scene, if you know what I mean.

If you have to do it, then its not that bad and you can find some stuff to keep busy. There is some hiking and mountain biking areas that are good. There is some climbing areas that are great, but short. There is even some good ice climbing if you know where to look, but again Utah its not.

If all else fails your a 6 hour drive from New Hampshire or Vermont for the weekends to get a semi-vibe like you have in SLC.
Man, Weluvpa ..you said it all...very truthful and unbiased...pros and cons thrown out in equal handsful...
Tried to give you rep/ 'street props' but that duma$$ed little 'Mod box' came up again saying, 'you have to spread your rep around before you can give 'weluvpa' rep again....

peace Ron, aka Coalboy

Old 01-14-2011, 05:25 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Skiing is better than where I'm from - Long Island! :-) I think that the OP might be pleasantly surprised by Scranton! If you enjoy the outdoors and a sence of history you will not be disappointed!!
For a family in your 30s with school aged children, you might want to look into Clark's Summit.Very near Scranton, and an excellent school district.

I don't think it's anymore cloudy in NE PA than anywhere else. The four seasons are all nice and very distinct. Autumn and Spring are my favorites.

In Scranton or Clark's Summit you will find the housing stock is older (especially in Scranton) with lots of large Victorian homes, original wood work, stained glass - all that good stuff.
Clark's Summit is a bit more expensive but not by much and it's a more suburban environment.
From what I have heard, Scranton City schools are not that bad. There are also several private school options.

I am a transplant to neighboring Wilkes Barre and we are all loving it here!

Best of Luck to you!

Sheena.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:41 PM

232 posts, read 347,475 times
Always curious when a job is actually moving to Scranton...do you mind me asking what kind of work?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:35 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times
Actually the weather in SLC is much better then here. Its a desert climate with the sunshine and good weather during the winter and summer.

This region and part of the US is far cloudier then SLC and Utah for that matter.

There is no comparison between the two cities, you can't even try to compare them in a legitimate way.

To be honest if I had never been to Scranton and was moving here from SLC or the surrounding area I would be saddened. SLC is light years ahead of this area in infrastructure, work, cleanliness of the city, the city itself.....

We don't have rec areas like little or big cotton wood canyons. They just don't exist.

In comparison I would classify this place as boring, run down, and seemingly left behind by the real world compared to SLC. I'm being honest.

If you do move to Scranton could you bring me a Squatters long sleeve T..

Old 01-14-2011, 07:01 PM

11 posts, read 48,206 times
As much as I'd like to say different...weluvpa is being honest. That's pretty accurate.

This area is home to me. It's my heritage...my roots...but I've done quite a bit of traveling and thankfully I can love this place because it's home...ya know? I did eventually move back here so...
However, home is where the heart is. You can find happiness anywhere...you just got to look at things right. There is a lot to offer here if you have the right perspective and I think you will be quite happy here with your family. Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania