Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:49 AM

159 posts, read 318,173 times

Advertisements

Well, it looks like the redevelopment of Downtown Scranton will continue with the addition of 36-40 new apartments. There are plans to renovate the former Chamber Building (Mulberry Professional Plaza) into an apartment building that will also include space for 5 street-level commercial tenants.

Whether you believe it or not, there is a demand for Downtown housing. New apartments and condominiums opened at four Central City locations in 2010.

Former Chamber building eyed for apartments - News - The Times-Tribune

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:00 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,981 times
IMHO over saturation of the market.. Jermyn and the Condos on Penn and Linden have vacancies

Old 01-18-2011, 08:31 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,998 times
Is there really a demand for it though? I have to ask -- from whom?

This question is completely devoid of sarcasm. I really would like to know who is moving into these apartments in downtown Scranton.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:28 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Isn't that the building that the tenants moved out of because it was run down?

Over saturation is being nice. The "demand" for downtown housing is being inflated.....

With a primary just less then 4 months away and the Doherty machine looking to get their hands on the school board and possibly taking the council super-majority away I would say that we are going to see many more articles like this.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:30 AM

232 posts, read 347,457 times
I would say a new Medical School is a primary reason for downtown housing....

Old 01-18-2011, 09:34 AM

The school isn't that big.....Lets not forget that the medical school has been purchasing home after home in the immediate area of the school and Northeast Intermediate School as well for housing.

A family friend just closed on her home to the school and all of her neighbors are selling as well.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:04 PM

After seeing the parties involved I can honestly say that this is going to be another taxpayer financed election PR campaign.

Doherty will stop at nothing to regain the council seats that were lost and get control of the school board.

It will be interesting to see which contractors get the bids for the work here since a large portion will be funded through grants and I'm sure OECD loans, which are all backed and financed by taxpayer funds.

I think after the shellacking that the taxpayers took on the 500 Block, Southern Union, Hilton and the Connell building that there would be a stop to taxpayer commercial welfare for the developers that can't seem to find anyone to invest in their white elephants. Since the former owners of the Connell building were in bed with Rendel for loans it must be the last gift of the failed admins of Rendel and Doherty to get some taxpayer funding for a project that would otherwise not have the backing needed.

Does anybody ever wonder why the private sector won't invest in these projects? If they were to be such HUGE successes I think that at this point with the countless successes behind them in the downtown that they would have absolutely no trouble obtaining private funds for investment.

I beat on paper they don't look as enticing as they do in the Times..

Old 01-18-2011, 05:16 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
For those who have difficulty with reading comprehension:

"The Connell Building now houses 89 occupied apartments on the upper floors and will include a commercial-professional mix on the three lower floors. All the apartments were rented within five months of becoming available, and the building has a waiting list of 60 potential tenants, property manager Jessica Kalinoski said."

To verify that this isn't just "fluff" or "spin" I'm "friends" on Facebook with the Connell Lofts, and demand HAS been VERY strong.

I also know of several people who'd be interested in living in Downtown Scranton (or Downtown Wilkes-Barre) if and when the right opportunity beckons to return to NEPA (myself included). Generations X and Y are becoming MUCH more interested in walkable and sustainable living as the years progress, and I predict we'll see this trend heightening as the Millenials age, too. I'd have ZERO interest in living in a McMansion-infested sterile sprawlsville like South Abington Township, Dallas Township, Pittston Township, Mountain Top, Glenmaura, etc. when I relocate back to the region. Being able to live Downtown and have nearly everything I'd need on a day-to-day basis within walking distance is much more important to me. Right now I live within walking distance of Downtown Pittsburgh in an upscale loft for just $550/month. I wouldn't trade this for ANY sidewalk-less cul-de-sac jutting off a road crammed with strip malls.

Like it or not we NEED many more people LIVING Downtown to help sustain a full recovery of the city. Scranton is destined for failure if it has a decrepit Downtown, as what person in their right mind wants to move to a place with a dismal core to show friends/family? Downtown Wilkes-Barre and Downtown Scranton are EACH poised for a vibrant future. Downtown Pittston? Not so much.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 PM

996 posts, read 1,056,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
For those who have difficulty with reading comprehension:

"The Connell Building now houses 89 occupied apartments on the upper floors and will include a commercial-professional mix on the three lower floors. All the apartments were rented within five months of becoming available, and the building has a waiting list of 60 potential tenants, property manager Jessica Kalinoski said."

To verify that this isn't just "fluff" or "spin" I'm "friends" on Facebook with the Connell Lofts, and demand HAS been VERY strong.
Friends with a high-tech marketing pamphlet - how impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I also know of several people who'd be interested in living in Downtown Scranton (or Downtown Wilkes-Barre) if and when the right opportunity beckons to return to NEPA (myself included).
the word if may be only two letters, but it holds many costs of consequences of decisions made my real people in real life - and excludes no-one.

I sincerely hope that someday you put your money and sweat equity to work in the Wyoming Valley.

Because absentee expertism is highly suspect.

Heyna or No?

What if?

just doing a fact checking drive by Little Buddy...

Old 01-18-2011, 08:22 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,546 times
Scranton just won't be what you want it to be. Why don't you move back here now and put your energy into trying to make it what you want instead of talking about it? That would make alot of sense to me, you seen to love Scranton, so come here and make it the trendy, hip city you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania