Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:11 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,087,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpinCA View Post
Thank you, MatildaLoo- I found the website for the borough very nice. I am ignorant when it comes to baseball but think the apple pie contest for the Christy Mathewson Days would be worth a visit too. Factoryville looks very pleasant!
It is! I grew up about 2 miles from there and have many great friends still in the borough.

They also have a great town/gown relationship with Keystone College, which sits at the end of town. They participate in the Homecoming activities and the parade goes through the downtown.

It's not a very big town but they do some great things with it. My friend, Liz Ratchford, is the director of community development and she is quite a go-getter -- always working on something to make the borough better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 08:35 AM

487 posts, read 1,368,273 times
Monroe County is becoming somewhat congested and the taxes are higher than Pike County or Wayne County. Pike County and Wayne County taxes are reasonable. The only thing you might want to factor in are HOA dues if you buy in a community. In my mind, they are like taxes. You pay them every year for amenities whether you use them or not. My advice, unless amenities are important to you, is to purchase outside of a community or in a community with low dues.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:28 AM

32 posts, read 59,949 times
I am wondering if there are any communities in NEPA that seem exceptionally well run. - I am looking for residents opinions. One of the saddest things my husband and I saw in Southeast PA was the constant sprawl, the inability of the local government to zone townships in a way that built communities vs. housing - a lack of long-term planning. I realize no one has a crystal ball, but I would like to hear what communities seem to be changing quicker, how residents view the local officials and if there are any particular places that seem to be overrun with strip malls, subdivisions and overused local resources.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:06 AM

996 posts, read 1,048,311 times
Quote:
I am wondering if there are any communities in NEPA that seem exceptionally well run. - I am looking for residents opinions. One of the saddest things my husband and I saw in Southeast PA was the constant sprawl, the inability of the local government to zone townships in a way that builtseveral portable classro communities vs. housing - a lack of long-term planning. I realize no one has a crystal ball, but I would like to hear what communities seem to be changing quicker, how residents view the local officials and if there are any particular places that seem to be overrun with strip malls, subdivisions and overused local resources.

The town/township (White Haven/Dennison) I call home has a conservative leadership consisting of a mix of professionals, farmers, and businesmen/women.

Two years ago the voters (via referendum) in my school district overwhemingly (4:1 ratio) rejected a proposal to build a new high school at at cost of $70M. It was proven to be unnecesary and the addition of several portable classrooms and associated infrastructure filled the need at a cost of approx 1.5M - mush to the dismay of the School Board and Teachers.

Voters took control and prevented dramatic property tax increase, and not a single student is being denied state of the art educational facilities - IMAGINE THAT.

Our area planning and zoning committee have the best possible members on board to help prevent uncontrolled sprawl. They are

PA DCNR - Pa State Park System (Lehigh Gorge & Hickory Run State Parks) - run right through town and borders it.
PA Game Commission - SGL 40,119,149, and 187 surround the town, very limited acess to motorized vehicles (snowmobiles, atv).
PA Fish Commission - controls various access points to the Lehigh River iwhicxh flows through the center of town in an environmentally friendly manner which limits access to non-motorized vehicles.
US Army Corp of Engineers - control/manage approx 5,000 acres surrounding Francis E Walter Resovoir located a couple of miles upriver of town.

We are landlocked by MOTHER NATURE, and the Federal & State Govt are charged with her protection.

I feel blessed that my little slice of heaven can not be sliced and diced via back-room deals by sleezball politicians.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:33 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,239,268 times
varmintblaster, just wondering. I looked up White Haven/Dennison and there is only 2,000 people between the two municipalities. Were they really going spend $70 million on a new school? How?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
varmintblaster, just wondering. I looked up White Haven/Dennison and there is only 2,000 people between the two municipalities. Were they really going spend $70 million on a new school? How?
Yes - Crestwood School District encompasses Moutain Top, Wright Township, Rice Township, Slocum Township, Dennison Township, and a few small towns. I would rough guestimate a population of 25,000.

Their proposal #1 = $70M Castle on the Hill - with an auditorium that the Kennedy Center would envy.

Their proposal #2 = $57 Remodel/Gutting/Addition to current High School building.

There argument was that population would explode (IT DID NOT - matter of fact population have held steady at net zero gain), and that the new school was "For the Children"..

The leash was yanked back - Their Dog Won't Hunt...

Old 01-31-2011, 10:12 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,239,268 times
Interesting. That's pretty great that a small area like that fought the big bad school district and won. Nice. Thanks for answering my quesiton.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:45 AM

IMO, the populace was well-informed about the general condition of the schools and property (Very Good - Physical Life - approx 30 yrs, Functional Life - 15 yrs.

The populace consists of folks that have grown sick and tired of the greedy (YES-GREEDY) PA State Teachers Union (which IMO is too big and powerful and should be dissolved) which refuses to negotiate on such matters as employee contributions to heath care.

The attitude portrayed by the teachers is that they should be insulated & protected by the economic realities that the taxpayer base is experiencing - no matter what the cost.

The GIG is up. I predict that teacher's contracts and extremely generous pension plans will be changed forever (no more 25 years then full pension & free healthcare for life).

*** This revolution is right around the corner - Pa needs an astronomical dollar amount to shore up the unfunded liability of the Pension Plan. When that hits the taxpayer's pocketbook, there will be Haydes to pay. If the teachers don;t like it, let them get a job in the private sector and prove their worth.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-31-2011 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: edited off topic remark

Old 01-31-2011, 12:55 PM

32 posts, read 59,949 times
I think that you have given me things to think about. I will have to do yet another layer of research (newspapers?) to keep on top of the local tax/education issues. But...is there anyone out there who can inform me on town planning (as in, for example, in the past 15 yrs is there any specific area/towns) that do not seem to be intimidated by developers, have faced influxes of new residents without sacrificing the 'overall character' of the place. VB, it does sound like you found a piece of heaven - you also sound actively concerned, which is always good.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:41 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,360,955 times
Quote:
My husband and I are beginning the process of looking for a 'retirement' destination. We are in our 50s and the overriding factor is trying to be close enough to my parents (in the Hudson Valley, NY) without actually returning to NY state.(they need help, but not daily) We have moved 5 times in 30 years, so I am hoping this will be the last. I have looked at past postings on Back Mountain, Honesdale, Carbondale, Mountaintop. Honestly, I am curious about the differences between these and other places. Currently we are in Houston, and two moves ago we had been living at the southeast corner of PA. (very different from NEPA, but still PA) I would appreciate anybody that can offer suggestions of where to begin our visits this year. I am definitely not a big city person - a small town or city with a sense of community is my hope. I have no interest in owning a huge McMansion - we are probably more interested in a little bit of property(I say 1 acre, my husband is probably more like 10) and a view. We will be out of TX in about 3 yrs and feel that a return to 4 seasons will be a good thing. I realize that there are probably lots of wonderful small towns, but a town with a sense of pride (not just thinking the zip code is the best), a good library, access to decent medical care...and nice people. (I realize this is what everybody wants). We are intending to each pick a place (he has asked about Factoryville(?), so his 'pick' is covered, and then we can visit in person. I appreciate everyone's help.
Please be respectful of the OP and get back on topic.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania