U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:05 PM

32 posts, read 49,800 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are beginning the process of looking for a 'retirement' destination. We are in our 50s and the overriding factor is trying to be close enough to my parents (in the Hudson Valley, NY) without actually returning to NY state.(they need help, but not daily) We have moved 5 times in 30 years, so I am hoping this will be the last. I have looked at past postings on Back Mountain, Honesdale, Carbondale, Mountaintop. Honestly, I am curious about the differences between these and other places. Currently we are in Houston, and two moves ago we had been living at the southeast corner of PA. (very different from NEPA, but still PA) I would appreciate anybody that can offer suggestions of where to begin our visits this year. I am definitely not a big city person - a small town or city with a sense of community is my hope. I have no interest in owning a huge McMansion - we are probably more interested in a little bit of property(I say 1 acre, my husband is probably more like 10) and a view. We will be out of TX in about 3 yrs and feel that a return to 4 seasons will be a good thing. I realize that there are probably lots of wonderful small towns, but a town with a sense of pride (not just thinking the zip code is the best), a good library, access to decent medical care...and nice people. (I realize this is what everybody wants). We are intending to each pick a place (he has asked about Factoryville(?), so his 'pick' is covered, and then we can visit in person. I appreciate everyone's help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Status: ""Plays well with other children"" (set 6 days ago)

17,214 posts, read 21,281,905 times
I will take a shot at this because I am a transplant and I have just completed a very thorough, but occasionally frustrating three years of house hunting. Yes THREE years, but we put it on hold in the winters and when school began. So really three summers.
OK you do not want a McMansion, you do want a bit of property and you want a place that has some charm and history, a good public library and not in a big city.
WelL there are no Big Cities in NEPA, so you are safe there. Nothing on the order of NYC Chicago or LA. Or Pittsburgh or Phillie or Atlanta.
But I still don't get the feeling that you want Wilkes Barre or Scranton.

I don't think that Mountain Top or Dallas are very charming. There are quite a few spot built homes, some cookie cutter developments and in the case of Mountain Top, there are mobile homes.
They do have more property, but they don't really have a town per se. The people who live there seem to love both places, and if you want a bit of property and a newer house, and do not mind the lack of a town center I can see why they like both places. But they are not for me.

If Dallas or Mountain Top have a "down town" I must have missed it.
The schools are supposed to be good in both Dallas, which is a part of Back Mountain, and Mountain Top.

I prefer Kingston and Forty Fort. They have large older homes, tree lined streets, good libraries and convenient shopping. they are more sophisticated, at least to me.

Kingston has a lovely Historic District with large, stately homes,
The thing is neither Kingston or Forty Fort have acreage, I might be wrong but it would be hard to find a house that was on even one acre.

Another place I like is Clark's Summit. There are a variety of homes styles there. Some McMansions, but more older established neighborhoods.
The school district is reportedly very good, and the property size is larger.
There is an atmosphere of pride among the residents. i have never been to the library, but I am sure it's nice.

Good luck and if you have any further questions send me a PM
~ Sheena

Old 01-26-2011, 02:51 PM

12,902 posts, read 8,971,157 times
Tunkhannock, PA might suit you.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:05 PM

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I look forward to checking out Kingston, Forty Fort, Clarks Summit and Tunkhannock. Nothing in my life has ever been set in stone, so the acreage is still negotiable with my spouse. Our most recent move was from a town with less than 30,000; I figure anything less than 50,000 will be fine. My husband and I are willing to put in sweat equity, so finding a brand new home isn't necessary. If you, or anyone else has any suggestions on times of year that are best to see these communities (any special festivals? and/or any seasonal influx oftourists?- I need to see places the way a local would, I guess) I would like to get a couple of trips in the next few years.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:57 PM

755 posts, read 2,058,446 times
If you want to be close to Hudson Valley, NY, you might want to consider Pike County....Milford, Dingman, Shohola area. Dingman has a decent branch of the library, Milford has drs,. All are within reasonable driving distance to Honesdale, Hawley, Hudson Valley and northern NJ.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:26 PM

I know that anything within 2 to 3 hrs of the Hudson Valley will be fine. Can you tell me if there is any major differences between the counties in NEPA? I know that there is a difference between Columbia and Dutchess County in NY (one is still farming/rural and the other has become pretty congested).

Old 01-26-2011, 08:44 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,478,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpinCA View Post
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I look forward to checking out Kingston, Forty Fort, Clarks Summit and Tunkhannock. Nothing in my life has ever been set in stone, so the acreage is still negotiable with my spouse. Our most recent move was from a town with less than 30,000; I figure anything less than 50,000 will be fine. My husband and I are willing to put in sweat equity, so finding a brand new home isn't necessary. If you, or anyone else has any suggestions on times of year that are best to see these communities (any special festivals? and/or any seasonal influx oftourists?- I need to see places the way a local would, I guess) I would like to get a couple of trips in the next few years.
You mentioned Tunkhannock. They have a Founder's Day festival that usually takes place in the beginning of summer (the 2011 date is not scheduled yet though) and a Christmas in Our Hometown celebration at the beginning of December. Both events draw a few thousand visitors to them.

Founder's Day | TBPA (http://www.tunkhannockbusiness.com/founders-day.html - broken link)

Old 01-26-2011, 08:46 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,478,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpinCA View Post
Oh, and I can't remember if I mentioned this to your husband, but Factoryville has a Christy Mathewson Days weekend that seems to get bigger every year.

Christy Mathewson Days

Old 01-27-2011, 03:36 PM

Thank you, MatildaLoo- I found the website for the borough very nice. I am ignorant when it comes to baseball but think the apple pie contest for the Christy Mathewson Days would be worth a visit too. Factoryville looks very pleasant!

Old 01-27-2011, 04:07 PM

224 posts, read 163,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I will take a shot at this because I am a transplant and I have just completed a very thorough, but occasionally frustrating three years of house hunting. Yes THREE years, but we put it on hold in the winters and when school began. So really three summers.
OK you do not want a McMansion, you do want a bit of property and you want a place that has some charm and history, a good public library and not in a big city.
WelL there are no Big Cities in NEPA, so you are safe there. Nothing on the order of NYC Chicago or LA. Or Pittsburgh or Phillie or Atlanta.
But I still don't get the feeling that you want Wilkes Barre or Scranton.

I don't think that Mountain Top or Dallas are very charming. There are quite a few spot built homes, some cookie cutter developments and in the case of Mountain Top, there are mobile homes.
They do have more property, but they don't really have a town per se. The people who live there seem to love both places, and if you want a bit of property and a newer house, and do not mind the lack of a town center I can see why they like both places. But they are not for me.

If Dallas or Mountain Top have a "down town" I must have missed it.
The schools are supposed to be good in both Dallas, which is a part of Back Mountain, and Mountain Top.

I prefer Kingston and Forty Fort. They have large older homes, tree lined streets, good libraries and convenient shopping. they are more sophisticated, at least to me.

Kingston has a lovely Historic District with large, stately homes,
The thing is neither Kingston or Forty Fort have acreage, I might be wrong but it would be hard to find a house that was on even one acre.

Another place I like is Clark's Summit. There are a variety of homes styles there. Some McMansions, but more older established neighborhoods.
The school district is reportedly very good, and the property size is larger.
There is an atmosphere of pride among the residents. i have never been to the library, but I am sure it's nice.

Good luck and if you have any further questions send me a PM
~ Sheena
See? this is why this Woman/child is friends of so many on this forum...

Tells it like she sees it....always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania