Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which best describes your job situation?
Out of work voluntarily 4 10.26%
Out of work involuntarily, looking for work 16 41.03%
Out of work involuntarily, not looking for work 2 5.13%
Gainfully employed 17 43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:43 PM

17 posts, read 60,502 times

Advertisements

Thanks for mentioning that. Just taking a peek at some of the computer/IT positions available in the area.

How far a drive is it, from say, the Hawley area to Scranton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 07:40 PM

23 posts, read 31,251 times
I have been reading through this. Very discouraging.
I am on the downhill slope toward 5-0, and lost my job 18 months ago. I worked in education, for an institution that is one of the solidest employers in NEPA. Nobody thought they would do cutbacks or layoffs. They've actually eliminated departments.

My mother suggested I get a part-time retail job to pay for health insurance. I've applied for three part time jobs in the past couple of weeks (two in libraries and one in retail) and ZIP. I'm considering temp work as a secretary because I don't know what else I can do. Retrain? As what? I spent 7 years pursuing my BA at night to get out of the secretarial field. I've taken the civil service test. I've been applying for jobs.

What else can I do? (rhetorical question) This is getting old!

Old 02-26-2011, 03:23 AM

105,764 posts, read 107,756,464 times
even in good times its hard to work in nepa. trying to find a decent job can be like chasing a ghost . many times you have to bite the bullet and relocate to areas that at least have big business and industry. i would have left nyc and relocated to nepa already but the fact is there is just no work and what work there is pays so little in comparison that its just not going to work moving there until retirement.

there is no infrastructure for supporting much beyond retail stores.

wall street west looked good until these firms realized none of these areas have what it takes to support other businesses that are large.

not enough electricity generation, no sewer capacity, not enough business support services. sending someone 20 minutes away to get stationary supplies is crazy. even local business cant support a big company moving in. imagine 900 employees going out to lunch and trying to get served in the few local eateries ? even the single lane roads cant support much business going on. grandma is out for a drive and everyones late,no public transportation etc. even the proper buildings are not available for industry or sizeable business without starting from scratch and building a place. wall street west wanted to move in now,not a year from now when a building was built.

the list goes on and on and its just not realistic thinking that decent employment in our area will open up for most folks and those that stay because they had a job once in the area that was decent maybe chasing ghosts..

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-26-2011 at 03:40 AM..

Old 02-27-2011, 01:45 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,766,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceSolomon View Post
Check Out electricitygascash.com, I did and started supplementing my income!
Isn't this a pyramid? I know you get a website with this, but don't you have pay almost $30.00 a month to maintain it? I don't see any money here.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:05 PM

105,764 posts, read 107,756,464 times
its spam

Old 02-27-2011, 10:07 PM

100 posts, read 134,062 times
sometimes people stay here because they also have someone ie a spouse to consider. We were a 2-income household until a few yrs ago.

After I took some specialized computer classes, .... not to retrain, but add to what I have & try getting back into my career , ... I got some p/t for a while... no recent degree but I had enough aptitude to teach myself as I went. Problem is: that's not enough.

Husband is still f/t, at least as of last week. We'll see what next week brings. He doesn't want to consider moving, or my applying, at this time. Extremely infrequently I find a job online I feel it's fair to apply for, they're not in a 50 mile radius. They're in at least a 100-150 mi radius.
I can at least practice interviews...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania