U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 02:43 PM

104 posts, read 124,413 times
Default Moving from NYC to Milford, PA

Hello everyone. I'd like to find out from others already commuting from Milford or surrounding areas to NYC, what their travel time is like.

My wife and I both work on the east side in midtown. We currently live on Roosevelt Island, so getting to work now takes about 30 minutes if we walk and take the tram. It's 10 minutes if I decide to drive in to the office.

However, we're considering buying a home in Milford. Our rent is $4500 a month. We also have two young kids. My mother-in-law lives with us to take care of the youngest while we're both away at work.

We've already been to Milford. I love the area, and my wife thinks its fine although she's a city girl. We know the pros and cons of moving. Our only concern is the commute.

Without rushing, it took me 1 hour, 33 minutes to drive from my office to Milford on a Saturday morning. Obviously, I have no clue what its really like during weekday rush times. My wife and I both have to be in the office between 9 and 10 AM so we'd obviously travel together in the same car.

Any thoughts - comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 02:06 AM

177 posts, read 200,607 times
1 hour 33 minutes on a Saturday morning cannot compare to weekday mornings. If you need to be in your office between 9 and 10, you probably should leave by 6 - 6:30 to play it safe. Some days you will be early. Some days you will get there between 9 and 10. And, yes, some days you will be late.

The earlier you leave, the faster you will get there. For instance, if you leave at 3:30, you will make it in 1 1/2 hours. Can you adjust your work hours? Sounds like you will be commuting at the worst times of the day....if you are coming home between 5 and 6.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:21 PM

3,756 posts, read 5,505,546 times
The time of the commute is important as well as is the routes you chose. Personally, I did it for over a year and my husband did it for 3 years. The weather is a big issue, no matter what people tell you. Best of luck.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:01 PM

48 posts, read 55,832 times
There is train service from nearby Port Jervis into NYC that you can also look into.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:50 AM

Yes, there is train service from the Port. I took the train once a week into the World Trade. Service gets disrupted quite a bit and the ride is long. Unless you are on the four thirty six, parking is challenging as well.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 PM

104 posts, read 124,413 times
Thank you all for the information.

Another couple of questions:

1. How long does the commute take on the train from Port Jervis to NYC? Is it a straight shot into the city, or must one transfer?

2. What are the best routes in the morning and evening rush hours? I've heard from some that Route 15 should be avoided.

Many thanks again.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:19 AM

503 posts, read 468,637 times
The train takes 2 hours and 10 minutes to Hoboken, then you have to take PATH to WTC or 33rd St. The one-way fare is $17.50, or $348 for a monthly pass.
New Jersey Transit

Old 02-04-2011, 04:41 PM

129 posts, read 126,871 times
I commuted from Milford to the Rt15/ I 80 interchange for 25 years. On any weekday that trip took a minimum of 1 hr and the distance was about 36 miles.

Once at Rt15/ I 80 the traffic oftentimes comes to a standstill heading east on 80 during the week.

One hour is a conservative estimate for optimum travel conditions for 36 miles from Milford to I80. It rarely worked out that way.Throw a wreck or snow storm in to the mix and there is hell to pay. One time it took me 3 hrs in the snow and you will be traveling twice as far.

Fridays in the summer traffic is horrendous heading north on 15 with all the weekenders.

Seriously consider the train, the drive will wear on you real quick and you will burn up a car every 3 or 4 yrs.

Had a next door neighbor for a short time, he and his wife both worked in midtown Manhatten. They would leave home at 4:30 am and take the train in to NYC. They lasted 6 months, sold the house ( thats when a person could actually sell a house) and moved back closer in. Dont want to rain on your plan but it is not a fun ride.

best of luck.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonscrambler View Post
I commuted from Milford to the Rt15/ I 80 interchange for 25 years. On any weekday that trip took a minimum of 1 hr and the distance was about 36 miles.

Once at Rt15/ I 80 the traffic oftentimes comes to a standstill heading east on 80 during the week.

One hour is a conservative estimate for optimum travel conditions for 36 miles from Milford to I80. It rarely worked out that way.Throw a wreck or snow storm in to the mix and there is hell to pay. One time it took me 3 hrs in the snow and you will be traveling twice as far.

Fridays in the summer traffic is horrendous heading north on 15 with all the weekenders.

Seriously consider the train, the drive will wear on you real quick and you will burn up a car every 3 or 4 yrs.

Had a next door neighbor for a short time, he and his wife both worked in midtown Manhatten. They would leave home at 4:30 am and take the train in to NYC. They lasted 6 months, sold the house ( thats when a person could actually sell a house) and moved back closer in. Dont want to rain on your plan but it is not a fun ride.

best of luck.

Good points..........forgot to mention hitting deer.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 AM

21 posts, read 22,609 times
I've been commuting from Milford to NYC or 20 years. Fortunately during off hours. If you have too commute during the rush hours, the best route home would be GWB/ Pallisades Pkwy/ to Bear Mt. circle/ Rt. 6/ to Rt. 17/ to Rt. 84. It's about 10 miles longer, but usually you keep moving at highway speeds. The Rt. 15/206 corridor through Jersey will test your patients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania