Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 05:20 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
NOBODY goes downtown unless they work there or go to the bars at night and EVERYTHING closes a 5pm except the mall.
I neither drink nor worked Downtown, yet I found myself patronizing Downtown establishments quite frequently. It's sad if Scranton's own residents would rather spend their dollars OUTSIDE the city in Moosic or Dickson City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 05:32 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I've never understood why so many in Scranton WANT their Downtown to fail. A failed Downtown means:

1.) Higher residential property taxes to offset the loss on commerce.
2.) A continued population nosedive as nobody in their right mind would want to move to a city with a decrepit core that would be embarrassing to show visitors.
3.) More disgusting urban sprawl (think South Abington Township, Dickson City, Montage Mountain, Pittston Township, etc.)
4.) More traffic congestion as more people are forced to drive longer distances to access amenities.
5.) Continued economic failure of the region as a whole.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:50 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Popping? ......NOBODY goes downtown unless they work there or go to the bars at night and EVERYTHING closes a 5pm except the mall......

[/b]

We don't work, live, or go to bars in downtown Scranton. We do however drive from Kingston and go to Scranton 3 or 4 times a month (more often in the summer).
We go to Steamtown or will take the kids to dinner at a local eatery, lately it has been the Hurricane grill. Then go into the mall and let the kids play in the indoor gym in the food court or go to Timmy's Town Center. We even have on occasion gone to the movie theater.

The indoor kid gym is an awesome alternative to Chuck e Cheese.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:38 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
I agree LVN. We take the kids to the Steamtown Museum several times per year. I have never frequented a bar in Scranton nor do I live or there.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:17 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Why do you have a problem with someone cracking down on drunk drivers?

I have no problem with arresting drunk drivers, But The officer is predatory, it seems that if you are in town after 9 PM you are guilty by association, The officer pulls people over fo no reason, on the suspicion they may have been drinking, He will target a driver and follow him, pulling him over for the smallest if not made up reasons. His reputation is widely known and many people who may have gone downtown for a beer or two, and NOT be driving legally intoxicated will not go there any more because of the chance of being pulled over by the officer.
There is a line between doing a good job, and being overzealous.
The Officer has no doubt hurt downtown patronage quite a bit...

Old 02-12-2011, 11:03 AM

232 posts, read 347,342 times
So now we can just post rumor as fact?

Old 02-12-2011, 11:51 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
I have no problem with arresting drunk drivers, But The officer is predatory, it seems that if you are in town after 9 PM you are guilty by association, The officer pulls people over fo no reason, on the suspicion they may have been drinking, He will target a driver and follow him, pulling him over for the smallest if not made up reasons. His reputation is widely known and many people who may have gone downtown for a beer or two, and NOT be driving legally intoxicated will not go there any more because of the chance of being pulled over by the officer.
There is a line between doing a good job, and being overzealous.
The Officer has no doubt hurt downtown patronage quite a bit...
The funny part is that he is friends with some of the bouncers in the downtown bars and they call in the tips for him when somebody leaves after a night of drinking. I haven't went downtown for anything more then coffee or soda because of him in a few years.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:11 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
I guess if someone doesn't want to get a DUI, well, they shouldn't drink and drive. Pretty easy.

Did SWB also move to Pitt from Nova?

Old 02-12-2011, 01:19 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I guess if someone doesn't want to get a DUI, well, they shouldn't drink and drive. Pretty easy.

Did SWB also move to Pitt from Nova?
You miss the point, I dont condone drunk driving, but the problem is many people avoid the Downtown all together because of this. you dont have to be drunk driving to get profiled as such and pulled over..

Old 02-12-2011, 01:20 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,365 times
If you haven't heard this one, here it is:

Recently, a routine police patrol was parked outside a local neighborhood bar in Scranton.

Late in the evening, the officer noticed a man leaving the bar so intoxicated that he could barely walk. The man stumbled around the parking lot for a few minutes with the officer quietly watching.

After what seemed an eternity and trying his keys on five different vehicles, the man managed to find his own car which he fell into. He was there for a few minutes as a number of other patrons left the bar and drove off. Finally, he started his car, switched the wipers on and off (it was a dry night), flicked the hazard flasher on and off, tooted the horn and then switched on the lights. He moved the vehicle forward a few inches, reversed a little and then remained stationary for a few more minutes as more patrons left in their vehicles.

At last he pulled out of the parking lot and started to drive slowly down the street.

The police officer having patiently waited all this time, now started up his patrol car, put on the flashing lights, promptly pulled the man over and carried out a breathalyser test.

To his amazement the breathalyser indicated no evidence that the man consumed alcohol at all!

Dumbfounded, the officer said "I'll have to ask you to accompany me to the police station. This breathalyser equipment must be broken."

"I doubt it," said the man. "Tonight I'm the designated decoy."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania