U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 04:55 PM

4,084 posts, read 7,917,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post

In a city the size of Scranton, one overzealous officer is only going to keep out people who are going to drink and drive, or people with active arrest warrants.

Really? You think that statement is accurate?

The ENTIRE downtown revolves around bars at night, there are close to what 15 bars in the downtown or more. This actually has a bigger impact then you realize and I know probably 50+ people that no longer frequent the downtown at night to go out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 05:27 PM

28,091 posts, read 19,748,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
In a city the size of Scranton, one overzealous officer is only going to keep out people who are going to drink and driver, or people with active arrest warrants.

One can have a few drinks and not be legally drunk, but if they are pulled over in downtown Scranton, they will be in for much more than a 10 minute "inconvenience" Thus many many people now avoid downtown like the plague.. That in turn hurts business, both restaurants and bars and any other ancillary businesses that might benefit from more foot traffic in the downtown area.

Really, how many times does this happen to the average person? There are *a lot* of people who drink in downtown Scranton and this one cop is ruining the experience for the majority of responsible drinkers? Really?

Old 02-12-2011, 05:28 PM

28,091 posts, read 19,748,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Really? You think that statement is accurate?

The ENTIRE downtown revolves around bars at night, there are close to what 15 bars in the downtown or more. This actually has a bigger impact then you realize and I know probably 50+ people that no longer frequent the downtown at night to go out.
Because they fear one cop pulling them over when they aren't d&ding?

Old 02-12-2011, 06:30 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,243,412 times
Im not defending drunk drivers, I will however stand by my statement that said officer is overvealous in his attempts to apprehend DUI's and that does impact to a very large extent the number of people partonizing downtown establishments at night.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:33 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,243,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
really--one can have a "few" drinks--not affect their driving response time AND pass a breathylyzer---wow--must have superhuman capabilities(and are probably out driving on these nepa roads---hence all the channel 16 crash coverage
I dont know if you abstain or drink, but if you go out to dinner at night in downtown scranton, have a glass of wine you are perfectly able and legal to drive , but let this officer pull you over for a non incident, I will guarantee you the next several hours of your time will not be a pleasant experience.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:57 PM

12,460 posts, read 27,158,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
That is right from what I have heard from the mall is that even with free rent the Toys R Us store is out of there, even though it was a seasonal thing the mall wants them to stay..., but they said no thanks...LOL

Also heard that the Hurricane Grill did a Whopping $22 in bar receipts the other night......look out, in a town full of bars and drunks only $22 in one night..

Where are all those Connell Building folks that supposedly are going to save the downtown? I guess they don't eat wings and drink..LOL

Hey everybody lets move to the downtown, everyone wants to live there...ROFLMAO

By the way I haven't missed one yet on the mall
Back to plain old negative talking about Scranton please....

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:25 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,567,303 times
I was in the Steamtown Mall yesterday, on a Sunday afternoon when there's not much else to do in winter, and the place was a ghost town. Its amazing the place is still open. The food court is really sad these days...even the KFC/Taco Bell is gone, replaced by another chicken/taco place called Chester's Chicken and Fiesta Tacos....and those tacos were downright horrible, probably the worst I ever had....makes Taco Bell seem gourmet in comparison. Not to mention, the food court was dirty.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I guess if someone doesn't want to get a DUI, well, they shouldn't drink and drive. Pretty easy.
What she said

Old 02-14-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
The Officer has no doubt hurt downtown patronage quite a bit...
It could also have something to do with there really not being any great bars to go to down there anymore...seems if you're not an early-twentysomething college student, there's not much there. If you're older than that, most people are probably just going to the neighborhood corner bars where you can either walk or not drive very far.

It seems even the Banshee is going downhill since new owners took over....they've gone from live Irish bands to the same old cover bands you can find in any bar around here and $1.00 Coors Light specials....wonder if the food has changed?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Really, how many times does this happen to the average person? There are *a lot* of people who drink in downtown Scranton and this one cop is ruining the experience for the majority of responsible drinkers? Really?
People seem to forget that maybe this "overzealous" officer has saved some lives over the years. Even if I only had a drink or two and wasn't drunk, I wouldn't be offended at being pulled over....if I wasn't drunk, I wouldn't have anything to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania