U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2011, 04:58 AM
 
27,993 posts, read 19,530,223 times
Reputation: 16468

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
My recommendation, as a relatively Latino newcomer is:

* * * B R E A K _ T H E _ S T E R E O T Y P E * * *

You said in a previous post that you and your husband are middle income professionals, and that's exactly what we need here. Unfortunately, there is a share of Latinos here that don't represent the best of our cultures, but rather the worst.

If he proves himself, he'll be accepted rather quickly. When I started my first job here, I was treated with indifference by some coworkers. When I left two years later, everyone was sad to see me go. How did that happen? Simple, I worked hard, I proved that I knew what I was doing, I never expected preferential treatment for merely being Latino, and I never, NEVER played the race card, which, IMHO is more likely to backfire than generate sympathy.

Also, politeness goes a long way. A simple 'thanks' and 'please' along with a smile will help you win a lot of people here.

So would a white person have to jump through such hoops to be treated with a modicum of respect? That's the crux of racial issues. That minorities have to work twice as hard to appear the same as a white person.

Unfortunately, most people's truth are borne of convenience. Equally as unfortunate is the fact that convenient truths are almost always wrong.

Last edited by Magritte25; 03-08-2011 at 05:06 AM..

 
Old 03-08-2011, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Drama Central
4,084 posts, read 7,886,061 times
Reputation: 1890
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I keep hearing this phrase about "not drinking the kool aid" on the internet and I am wondering if it's etiology can be traced to the Jones Town Massacre in 1979, when cult leader Jim Jones forced his "church" members to drink cyanide laced kool aid before shooting himself in the head?

Perhaps the internet IS the Kool aid!!!
Huh yep that would be it...Drinking the kool aid is spot on...So many people in this area drink the kool aid that they are feed from many directions. Just look at how they keep electing the worst politicians over and over again...The are fed a line through the media(kool-aid) and they drink it and follow the leaders to their economic deaths...

Racism is EVERYWHERE, here in the US and most other countries. For those that have never left this country and traveled and lived abroad, we are treated no different else where in this world.

When I was living in the Carribean the racism and outright hateful comments that I received on occasion were eye openers.......

To say that there is no racism on your block is insane, maybe your neighbors aren't flying the confederate flag, but I'll wager when the doors are closed comments fly....

Mod cut - edited personal attack.

Racism is here, its in Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. SORRY, but it is what it is.

Many people have watched their neighborhoods, towns, streets be run into the ground by many of the minorities that come here and take advantage of the area, welfare, section 8.

The Hispanic community here in Scranton was granted a permit from the mayor to have a festival in Southside because he was trying to cater to one of the community leaders in an election year to obtain the Hispanic vote in Scranton..

Well as the night went on with fun for the families it quickly spiraled out of control, bottles being thrown, drag racing, burnouts and basically trashing Pittston ave in the area of Birch st. The police were called, back-up was need to clear the streets and the nightmare ensued for hours until they were able to get everyone off the streets and out of the area.....

NEEDLESS TO SAY the mayor realized that he actually lost more votes from the life long residents of Southside for allowing this to even go on and the permit was NEVER GRANTED AGAIN.....

I have lived and worked in many neighborhoods, even had a family business in East Orange NJ for over 20 years and well lets just say that places like East Orange don't end up the way they are because nice white folks lived there. They were driven from that neighborhood full of stately homes and rich in history in NJ and now there are striped cars, burned out homes, graffiti and its possibly one of the worst areas of the Newark area and absolutely unsafe to travel at night if your not from the hood, even then my employees from the neighborhood didn't feel safe at night leaving the plant.

Several hundred thousand dollars later we built a secure indoor loading dock parking area for them with a 10' high fence a razor wire to protect our property, we installed roll down steel shutters on all windows and bullet proof windows in the front and armor plate glass dorr for the entrance and we didn't do this because we were bored..

I myself had two trucks stolen over 5 years.

People are racist and for good reason, not everyone is a bad apple, but as long as the minority communities do NOTHING TO STOP THE BAD ELEMENT in their neighborhoods from destroying the area then are guilty by association and as much at fault as those that are doing the damage and committing the crimes...

Don't look to my community and point a finger that we are racists when the majority of minorities do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO TRY AND TURN THEIR OWN BAD SEEDS AROUND.

ITS ALWAYS EASIER TO BLAME OTHERS FOR YOUR PROBLEMS THEN IT IS TO STAND UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR PEOPLES PROBLEMS AND HOW THEY AFFECT OTHERS LIVES IN THE SURROUNDING COMMUNITIES.

You want to move here and do something...Tell your husband to get involved in the community and try to educate them on how you are supposed to act so that people like your husband aren't lumped in their category merely by his last name and skin tone.

Its not our problem to fix, its theirs.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-08-2011 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: edited personal attack
 
Old 03-08-2011, 10:53 AM
 
2,638 posts, read 2,799,486 times
Reputation: 2083
Originally Posted by Trucker7
My recommendation, as a relatively Latino newcomer is:

* * * B R E A K _ T H E _ S T E R E O T Y P E * * *

You said in a previous post that you and your husband are middle income professionals, and that's exactly what we need here. Unfortunately, there is a share of Latinos here that don't represent the best of our cultures, but rather the worst.

If he proves himself, he'll be accepted rather quickly. When I started my first job here, I was treated with indifference by some coworkers. When I left two years later, everyone was sad to see me go. How did that happen? Simple, I worked hard, I proved that I knew what I was doing, I never expected preferential treatment for merely being Latino, and I never, NEVER played the race card, which, IMHO is more likely to backfire than generate sympathy.

Also, politeness goes a long way. A simple 'thanks' and 'please' along with a smile will help you win a lot of people here.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So would a white person have to jump through such hoops to be treated with a modicum of respect? That's the crux of racial issues. That minorities have to work twice as hard to appear the same as a white person.

Unfortunately, most people's truth are borne of convenience. Equally as unfortunate is the fact that convenient truths are almost always wrong.
I don't see anything suggested by Trucker that ANYONE 'new' seeking respect in OR out of the the workplace shouldn't do. People who can't show professionalism and civility are unlikely to find work, let alone keep it, and especially succeed at it.

In many places, you get what you give. There is nothing wrong with doing and giving your best. Life is often competitive. Sometimes your best may not be 'good enough'. That is as true for blue-eyed blonds as others. It is easy to blame others or other things when something doesn't work out like you want. I often do it myself....
 
Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 AM
 
27,993 posts, read 19,530,223 times
Reputation: 16468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Originally Posted by Trucker7
My recommendation, as a relatively Latino newcomer is:

* * * B R E A K _ T H E _ S T E R E O T Y P E * * *

You said in a previous post that you and your husband are middle income professionals, and that's exactly what we need here. Unfortunately, there is a share of Latinos here that don't represent the best of our cultures, but rather the worst.

If he proves himself, he'll be accepted rather quickly. When I started my first job here, I was treated with indifference by some coworkers. When I left two years later, everyone was sad to see me go. How did that happen? Simple, I worked hard, I proved that I knew what I was doing, I never expected preferential treatment for merely being Latino, and I never, NEVER played the race card, which, IMHO is more likely to backfire than generate sympathy.

Also, politeness goes a long way. A simple 'thanks' and 'please' along with a smile will help you win a lot of people here.







I don't see anything suggested by Trucker that ANYONE 'new' seeking respect in OR out of the the workplace shouldn't do. People who can't show professionalism and civility are unlikely to find work, let alone keep it, and especially succeed at it.

In many places, you get what you give. There is nothing wrong with doing and giving your best. Life is often competitive. Sometimes your best may not be 'good enough'. That is as true for blue-eyed blonds as others. It is easy to blame others or other things when something doesn't work out like you want. I often do it myself....
That wasn't my point. I never said people shouldn't put their best foot forward. My point was that Latinos and other minorities have to work twice as hard to not be considered a criminal, an illegal alien, etc whereas white people don't have this burden of proof.
 
Old 03-08-2011, 12:57 PM
 
1,245 posts, read 2,736,267 times
Reputation: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That wasn't my point. I never said people shouldn't put their best foot forward. My point was that Latinos and other minorities have to work twice as hard to not be considered a criminal, an illegal alien, etc whereas white people don't have this burden of proof.
I disagree to a certain extent. Many people believe that white motorcycle club/gang members are all criminals and drug dealers. This isn't the case, as there are christian harley clubs.

I also tend to believe that driving through the poorest parts of our area and often most are all white, a lot of people assume that they are drug dealers, aka criminals.

If you are poor or don't dress, look or behave like the stereotypical norms of society, people often assume the worse. I believe this goes across all racial lines.
 
Old 03-08-2011, 01:49 PM
 
2,736 posts, read 3,159,372 times
Reputation: 1954
New people need to put their best face on period. Some will be accepted because they are good people, some will be given a chance and some will never be included. It is what it is. It comes with being the "new kid on the block". It is no different than moving up from grade school to middle school, you meet a bunch of new people, not everyone is going to like you. If you are comfortable in your own skin, you will attract others like you...and if you need to be liked by everyone, you have so deeper serious issues.
 
Old 03-08-2011, 01:59 PM
 
27,993 posts, read 19,530,223 times
Reputation: 16468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
I disagree to a certain extent. Many people believe that white motorcycle club/gang members are all criminals and drug dealers. This isn't the case, as there are christian harley clubs.

I also tend to believe that driving through the poorest parts of our area and often most are all white, a lot of people assume that they are drug dealers, aka criminals.

If you are poor or don't dress, look or behave like the stereotypical norms of society, people often assume the worse. I believe this goes across all racial lines.
I disagree to a certain extent. LOL Seriously though, I do think anyone, of any color, gets judged harshly when they are dressed sloppily, smell, etc. I also think that, in this area in particular, that dark = bad. This is from my own experience with friends, loved ones and acquaintances. I have heard some real doozies IRT minorities.
 
Old 03-08-2011, 02:00 PM
 
27,993 posts, read 19,530,223 times
Reputation: 16468
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
New people need to put their best face on period. Some will be accepted because they are good people, some will be given a chance and some will never be included. It is what it is. It comes with being the "new kid on the block". It is no different than moving up from grade school to middle school, you meet a bunch of new people, not everyone is going to like you. If you are comfortable in your own skin, you will attract others like you...and if you need to be liked by everyone, you have so deeper serious issues.
It isn't a matter of being liked. It's a matter of being viewed as less than because of the color of your skin or last name or verbal accent. Taking it a step further, it's a matter of being unfairly judged on those traits to the point it messes with your life, your livelihood and more.
 
Old 03-08-2011, 03:00 PM
 
2,736 posts, read 3,159,372 times
Reputation: 1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
It isn't a matter of being liked. It's a matter of being viewed as less than because of the color of your skin or last name or verbal accent. Taking it a step further, it's a matter of being unfairly judged on those traits to the point it messes with your life, your livelihood and more.
For those of us that have had to live with it, with prayer and perseverance we find a way to rise above it. It is easier in some places then others, and movement makes it easier now, than years ago. Yes, being liked is a part of it, sometimes it is simply what gives you the in...
 
Old 03-08-2011, 04:51 PM
 
27,993 posts, read 19,530,223 times
Reputation: 16468
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
For those of us that have had to live with it, with prayer and perseverance we find a way to rise above it. It is easier in some places then others, and movement makes it easier now, than years ago. Yes, being liked is a part of it, sometimes it is simply what gives you the in...
Being liked isn't the issue of racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top