U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:16 AM

37,013 posts, read 38,077,691 times

Advertisements

As much as I would like to see it restored it's a $100 million dollar price tag they cite and this after the $10 million already spent, some of which was used to confiscate that guys parking facility using eminent domain.

There's a reason they haven't been able to find a private developer, because it's not worth it financially and I'm sure the corruption of the region probably played a role as well. You already have Genetti's which would be in direct competition with this venture, they'll both be bankrupt. There is so many reasons why this won't work there is too many to name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 06:42 AM

15,400 posts, read 18,998,116 times
How very sad; perhaps the building may still be saved...it is over 100 years old>>>>>

Hotel Sterling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Historic Hotel to Meet the Wrecking Ball? - PAHomePage.com

Hotel Sterling to be Demolished - WNEP (http://www.wnep.com/news/countybycounty/wnep-luz-hotel-sterling-demolition-plan-wilkes-barre,0,7479343.story - broken link)

CityVest plans to raze Hotel Sterling - News - Citizens Voice

sterling hotel wilkes-barre , pa pictures from collecting photos on webshots

I've been in the Hotel and the lobby is stunning; first they raze the tower behind the hotel and now this.......

Why can European countries save their historic architecture, but in the U.S.A....we cannot, citing economic reasons???????

Old 03-17-2011, 06:56 AM

29,586 posts, read 65,509,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Why can European countries save their historic architecture, but in the U.S.A....we cannot, citing economic reasons???????
In the USA people would prefer that a drive-thru CVS occupy this prime corner instead of a historic hotel converted into riverfront lofts. Just look at Downtown Pittston. Building after building has been torn down to let suburbanites frolic in their SUVs.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,561,182 times
It really upsets me that this is being torn down. The Irem Temple will be next, I know it. I wish there was something to be done about it. Most of the residents around here just don't care.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
In the USA people would prefer that a drive-thru CVS occupy this prime corner instead of a historic hotel converted into riverfront lofts. Just look at Downtown Pittston. Building after building has been torn down to let suburbanites frolic in their SUVs.
Why should it be converted to "riverfront lofts"? The lofts over the movie theater are a flop. ONE person lives there. Just one.

The Sterling or the Irem Temple should be converted into a coal mining museum/children's museum. Then the other one should house stores like Pfaltzgraff, Ann Taylor Loft, etc plus local stores by local owners.

Why do people think adding more housing to this area will help the economy? It won't.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why do people think adding more housing to this area will help the economy? It won't.
It has been proven that increasing the number of people LIVING Downtown will increase foot traffic, which will deter crime, help existing businesses to remain viable, and spur new economic growth. The lofts over the theater have NOT been a "flop", and I don't know where you got that information from. There was an article not long ago in the Times-Leader that indicated the developer was also scouring Downtown for a site for a second project due to the popularity of the first. Most people buying these lofts will be middle-class to upper-middle-class professionals with plenty of discretionary income to spend in the city. Many are those capitalizing upon the most recent trend of trading in the particle-board suburbs for walkable and sustainable living in the city.

Turning Downtown Wilkes-Barre into a 24/7 "neighborhood" is critical in helping to sustain the momentum in its ongoing revitalization. This trend of repopulating cities has caught on nationally; it is a shame Scranton/Wilkes-Barre continues to languish in the coal dust. Even our older suburbs are losing out to sprawl to newer suburbs (i.e. Clarks Summit continued its population decline from 2000-2010 while neighboring South Abington Township exploded).

Old 03-17-2011, 08:01 AM

No, it's not critical to have a 24/7 downtown in every urban area. Bethlehem doesn't have a 24/7 downtown.

You call one person living in the lofts a success? Really? I don't. I got my information from the fact that the lofts have been on sale for well over a year and there is exactly ONE PERSON occupying ONE UNIT.

Why would people move here or even visit here when there is not a lot here? No. More living units is not the answer here. We have plenty of that already. We need more commerce and culture to attract visitors and possibly potential residents.

BTW if the theater complex is such a booming success why are so many of the retail fronts empty in it???

Old 03-17-2011, 08:01 AM

The Irem Temple should be converted into a museum---a regional draw at that. The Sterling SHOULD have been converted into lofts on the upper stories with retail uses on the first floor.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The Irem Temple should be converted into a museum---a regional draw at that. The Sterling SHOULD have been converted into lofts on the upper stories with retail uses on the first floor.
What do you mean by "regional" Paul? I know for a fact that myself and other parents are MORE willing to vacation and visit areas that have children's museums that are attached or near other museums.

If there was an overwhelming demand for housing in the area, I'd agree with you. But judging from the number of for sale signs in every.single.neighborhood in this city I'll go out on a limb and say people don't want to live in an economically depressed, culturally dry area.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:20 AM

7,937 posts, read 13,515,476 times
As sad as it is, in typical NEPA fashion, the building was left to rot so long, it is probably beyond repair. Its basically a repeat of what happened to the Hotel Casey in Scranton.

What I'd like to know is where is all that taxpayer money that was dumped into this building? That CityVest sham was a Kanjorski creation. I smell something rotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania