Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:28 PM

32 posts, read 67,275 times

Advertisements

StealCity your dead on. I don't agree with you too much but your right about everything on what you just said. I love this area we can be NoVA type of area because we have excellent location. The problem is older stubborn mulles that are content with no change and want to tell stories of the good ole days around the bar. How about now a days, don't we want to make a name for ourselves now. Were still breathing let's actually be productive with our time. Sheena you are without a doubt the most optimistic person on this board and that's good we need it in this area. Do I hope your right yes without a doubt. I just think theres a fine line between Realism and Optimism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 10:41 PM

360 posts, read 1,019,227 times
I'm not saying this to offend anyone but the Wyoming Valley is one of the few areas of the northeast US that I've seen where education is actually SNEERED at by some locals. I grew up there and never understood why some people seemed SO anti-education and enlightenment, but the only theory I can come up with is it's some kind of cover for some kind of insecurity. The absolute worst thing you could be (even during the tech boom) in some areas of Scranton was a "bookworm" or a "nerd". Never mind that nerds at the time were becoming millionaires and changing the world, nope, you were just weird if you didn't like hunting and drinking massive quantities of beer in the woods.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:53 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
I'm not saying this to offend anyone but the Wyoming Valley is one of the few areas of the northeast US that I've seen where education is actually SNEERED at by some locals. I grew up there and never understood why some people seemed SO anti-education and enlightenment, but the only theory I can come up with is it's some kind of cover for some kind of insecurity. The absolute worst thing you could be (even during the tech boom) in some areas of Scranton was a "bookworm" or a "nerd". Never mind that nerds at the time were becoming millionaires and changing the world, nope, you were just weird if you didn't like hunting and drinking massive quantities of beer in the woods.
so true--i had a close relative come here from out of the area,bringing a newer approach to their field,and now feeling the results of butting their heads against a wall and having to kowtow to a much less educated coworker with strong political connections.minimal education,even less experience in the field---this relative has seen other bright individuals leave their field and move out of the area because of this and will probably be joining them--how sad

Old 03-27-2011, 05:06 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
lilyflower7 I wish that the Wyoming Valley were the only place where education is sneered upon, but really it's not.
There is a program on Television called "Jersey Shore" - I have never seen it and from what I know I would not want to, but those people are living in the North East and I don't think they extol the virtues and values of education.
Back on Long Island there are pockets of WHITE ETHNIC PEOPLE who brag about attending The College of Hard Knocks, and take every opportunity to call anyone who is not full of bling and flashy cars an "over educated idiot."

I also went to college in a very blue collar town in New England with three top rated universities and there were people there who laughed at us and gave us the finger every time they saw an out of state plate.
Yes PA included.

Because some people do think that way, is no reason to dismiss an entire geographical area as "hopeless" or "beyond redemption." HOWEVER -
I do think that words have power, though and every time that ANYONE PUTS DOWN or MAKES fun of THE PLACE THEY CALL HOME - THE WORDS BECOME FACT.

I think if people do not like a certain area MOVE! Very simple. Life is too short to hate where you live. And life is too fleeting to refrain from improving the place in which one chooses to call home.

The more people I meet in the Valley, the more hope I have. We have natural beauty, proximity to Nature, an affordable cost of living, proximity to natural beauty and two major metropolitan areas.

But no, really a H.S diploma will not do anymore. Not in the Valley, not anywhere. That does not mean that everyone needs a PhD - but you do need something more than a job at such and such company. Big business leave you flat when they have taken what they need. Anthracite Coal ring a bell?

OH ...do check out the Education Sub Forum! You will find people putting down the current president for saying that higher education is important.
And they are not all from NEPA.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:38 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUASiDg-kg4

The last few posts reminded me of this LOL

Old 03-27-2011, 08:05 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUASiDg-kg4

The last few posts reminded me of this LOL
Love this.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:38 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
^ This. Just look at the way numerous members on here bash the University of Scranton mercilessly as a prime example of how little higher education is valued in this area. College isn't for everyone. I understand that. Going to college doesn't make you "better" than someone who didn't go to college. I understand that. However, like it or not the majority of unskilled blue-collar jobs that were once the backbone of this area either have evaporated or are evaporating (i.e. Cinram, Techneglas, Thomson, etc.). What is replacing them? $11/hr. jobs at distribution centers, call centers, big-box stores, etc. I always heard people with limited (if any) formal education beyond high school lamenting the lack of "high-paying jobs" in the area. The high-paying jobs of the 21st Century largely require a Bachelor's Degree, and the percentage of people in NEPA with at least a four-year degree is abysmally low. High-paying employers aren't going to move into an area with a relatively unskilled workforce. Skilled talent isn't going to wait around unemployed or underemployed until those jobs come in. The area is stuck in a Catch-22. I graduated from Pittston Area in 2005. A very sad percentage of my graduating class still resides within the district.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
If you guys think the dumbing down of America is unique to NEPA I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:44 AM

360 posts, read 1,019,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
^ This. Just look at the way numerous members on here bash the University of Scranton mercilessly as a prime example of how little higher education is valued in this area. College isn't for everyone. I understand that. Going to college doesn't make you "better" than someone who didn't go to college. I understand that. However, like it or not the majority of unskilled blue-collar jobs that were once the backbone of this area either have evaporated or are evaporating (i.e. Cinram, Techneglas, Thomson, etc.). What is replacing them? $11/hr. jobs at distribution centers, call centers, big-box stores, etc. I always heard people with limited (if any) formal education beyond high school lamenting the lack of "high-paying jobs" in the area. The high-paying jobs of the 21st Century largely require a Bachelor's Degree, and the percentage of people in NEPA with at least a four-year degree is abysmally low. High-paying employers aren't going to move into an area with a relatively unskilled workforce. Skilled talent isn't going to wait around unemployed or underemployed until those jobs come in. The area is stuck in a Catch-22. I graduated from Pittston Area in 2005. A very sad percentage of my graduating class still resides within the district.
Exactly! If you're not trained in anything how on earth are you going to have a high paying job in THIS economy? I wish people would understand that. Sure, you can make a lot of money without going to college, but you generally need to some type of formal program like trade school to do it (ie, plumbing, electrical, etc) The days of graduating and going to a high paying manufacturing job at Specialty Records is LONG over.

I'm a proud U of Scranton grad and let me tell you, I got a LOT of grief from locals going there (didn't matter that I grew up in the area.) Apparently merely enrolling there somehow made me "uppity" and a "snob." I don't know if people assumed I was rich (which I wasn't - I got sizable scholarships because I was at the top of my hs class.) Frankly, I was dirt poor through undergrad and actually worked the entire time - at one point at Wal-Mart. My coworkers btw, got a sick thrill out of making the "college girl" do the worst jobs they could find in the store.

Let me also state that I know there are other areas where it's cool to be ignorant (for lack of a better term). It's just predominant in the Wyoming Valley. It was culture shock when I left in late 2004. I moved to North Jersey and now live in the Princeton area. 95% of my friends out here have a college degree. Almost half either have or are working on a graduate degree (myself included). My friends from high school that finished an undergrad degree are almost all teachers, the ones who didn't go to school or didn't finish (and this is most of those who still live there btw) work retail.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:53 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If you guys think the dumbing down of America is unique to NEPA I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.
I agree that dumbing down isn't confined to NEPA. I do however think that academics in far too many places in NEPA takes a back seat to athletics.

I always like pointing out the millions of dollars recently spent to update the football field at WVW, while some of the schools in the district, including the high school are in pretty bad shape and use old textbooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania