Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 01:03 PM

14 posts, read 50,902 times

Advertisements

We are in a very similar situation to you. We are moving from Elmont. My husband is planning on making the commute, at least for a year or two, to the Bronx. This is the main aspect of the move that has me apprehensive. The drive with no traffic for him would be around 1hr 45 min. He was talking with a woman who commutes to the bronx from the pocono area and she says it take her around 2hrs 20 min a day on average and if you leave past 5 am your pretty much screwed. We are hoping though that my husband will be able to switch to four 10 hr days (hes talking to the boss man today about it) And he also plans on staying at his parents house on long island once a week to try and cut down on the commuting. We literally cannot afford to stay on long island any longer...and we cannot afford for him to take a big cut in pay right now. I plan on transfering up to the area so that at least one of us is around for the kids, and we also have my brother in law and his family up here which should be a help too. Where we plan on moving is right off of 84 and in the Wallenpaupak school district. Anyone have any opinions on that school district? I know my niece just graduated from there and my nephew seems to be doing well...but was hoping ot get some perspective form someone outside of my family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 12:10 PM

212 posts, read 501,124 times
I still do not recommend moving to PA just to avoid the living cost in the City and swallow that 5-6 hr commute. It will be a nightmare... no matter how you sugar coat it. Do not forget the commuting cost as I have stated in the beginning of the post... are you REALLY SAVING money by moving there or would it be better to rent in a small place in the outer boro? If the commuting cost for 1 person would eat up $700 a month+, 2 people 1400+.... plus mortgage for the PA house... baby sitter? teenage period controller? I do not know... It just seems to me that it will defeat the purpose of going to the mountain if the family is not together most of the time (excluding sleep time) not worth it.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:43 PM

2,730 posts, read 6,104,807 times
Long Island and the Poconos are not the only two places in the world to live.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:43 PM

14 posts, read 50,902 times
It's not just the cheaper living that we are after, its less congestion, more nature, and a slower paced life. But the cheaper living is the thing that is pushing us over the edge. We've been on long island for 12 years. In that time our taxes have gone form $3500 to almost $8000. In the last five years our mortgage has gone up $300 a month due to taxes, our gas and electric bills have both gone up considerably with our electric jumping up another $40 and our gas another $30 this past year. Gas prices, food prices, everything is up to the point that we can no longer pay our bills becasue the one thing that hasnt gone up at the same rate is the pay.
Is PA the answer? I dont know. The reason we decided to go there is that we do have family there to help with the kids, my husband can keep his job...although with a horrid commute, and maybe we can finally start to make ends meet. We never see each other now since our current situation has me working nights so we will probably see each other more often after the move since he will now have 3 day weekends. We will be saving $1200 a month on housing costs with our rent compared to our current mortgage, yes commuting will cost more, but if commuting costs go from $400 to $800 we will still be saving $800 from the housing, plus $800 a year savings on car insurance, and electric has to be cheaper b/c Long Island has notoriously high electric rates.
So is this the move for everyone? absolutly not. Is it the right move for us? I hope so, but we wont know unless we try...and we are at the point where we have to try something. We are going under, pretty fast, if we stay where we are and do nothing.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:34 PM

360 posts, read 1,017,755 times
Honestly, I'd do upstate NY before the Poconos - at least then you can take a Metro north train into the city.

Frankly, most of North and Central Jersey are cheaper than Long Island. I wouldn't rush to the Poconos unless spending 5-6 hours a day commuting is something you enjoy.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:33 AM

513 posts, read 1,077,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconogirl View Post
teenage period controller?
What the hell is that?

Is this a requirement unique to NEPA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania