Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:08 PM

128 posts, read 217,419 times

Advertisements

My husband has expressed interest in buying a home in the Poconos area (we currently rent on Long Island and the prices are outrageous!). My questions I have for those living there or having lived in the area are: how is the area for families with children? is it safe? is it really downtrodden by relocation from lower income areas in NY/NJ as some have said? is there any diversity? I want to move somewhere where our family can put down roots and our children will be happy and safe with good schools and a sense of community with a number of activities for families. I would be commuting into the city and my husband can transfer his job. I appreciate any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 01:19 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
Stay where you are , The commute would make it impossible for you to spend ANY time with your family .. Nevermind it costing close to $500 for a monthly bus ticket ,,And if you drive .. OH MY GOD .. car killer and many hrs stuck in traffic ..

Old 03-23-2011, 01:27 PM

24,118 posts, read 32,468,260 times
I am originally from Long Island, and we relocated to Wilkes Barre in September. Wilkes Barre is in the Wyoming Valley and we LOVE it here!
We initially started our search as many L.Iers do, in the Poconos. We decided that we wanted to live in a walkable town or small city so our search brought us north to the Wyoming Valley. We wanted community, and diversity along with a much lower cost of living.
Since we came from Stony Brook, which is pretty rural and spread out, we had already had over an acre of land and we no longer wanted that much property to maintain.

The Poconos are very diverse. I have never heard anything good about Pocono Country Place, or the town of Tobyhanna. The homes do look nice on line, but the area depresses the value.
I have heard good things about North Pocono SD. I will find out what areas that serves.
Feel free to DM me!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:35 PM

I would move. But I would secure employment in the area first.
Long Island has become unlivable for many younger couples.
On Long Island a three ROOM illegal apartment in someones basement will cost between 700 - and 900 per month!
Something more livable, a modest rental that is not illegal will be around 1000 to start.
It's money that is thrown down the drain.

And as I continue to say, salaries in NEPA are very close to those on Long Island.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:36 PM

RiverSideforever is right about the commute. DON"T!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:46 PM

128 posts, read 217,419 times
Thank you both so much for your advice! How far is Wilkes Barre from Queens, NY or Long Island? Is the commute from where you are Sheena12 totally undo-able to the city because it would be worth it to live somewhere better like where you are than the Pocono area? You are right, Long Island is way expensive! We are renting a house in Merrick without use of the basement for $1900 with NO utilities included!! We really want to own and be in a family-friendly community. Are there other areas to also look into?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:50 AM

212 posts, read 502,375 times
Mariposa, I work in Queens too and own a (weekend) home in the Pocono. We live in Queens and hate NYC totally... that is why once we get out of work on friday afternoon, we drive to Pocono right away.

Please read the direct message I sent you...
however, if you decided to move to the pocono, find a job there first. do not TRY to commute daily to and from pocono to Queens. That commute is do-able but you will not have any time for your family and kids.
There are many people who do the daily commute and when their kids grow up, they became trouble maker since no one is there to supervise them. they get into trouble for stupid things.

The commute, invovles driving, or driving to train to local train... or you can take the MATZ bus daily.
either way the commmute each way, depends on time of travel, will be 2-3 hr per trip... that is 5-6 hr daily commute.

so you wake up at 4, get to work by 7 (since if you get up later, the commute will be 3-4 hr with traffic), depends when your work start, you end up wasting 1-2 hr at work, then get off at 4 or 5 pm, spend another 3 hr on the train/bus get home by 8ish... then from bus stop to drive home....

your trip will be like: drive to bus stop, take matz, take subway to queens. about 3 hr commute each way.

are you sure you are up to doing that?

Long Island is very $$$ so are the tax.

If you decided to move, I would strongly suggest you to work locally unless you do not mind 5-6 hr daily commute. some people do it daily but like River said, if you drive, you will be super tired and replace a car every few years (220 miles per day = 60000 mile per year assume you work 5 days a week with no vacation days) A good japanese car will last you about 300000 highway miles... so 5 years life.

If you must do the commute, use MATZ bus. then transfer to subway to queens. where do you work in queens, since within queens, the commute can range from 5 min to manhattan or 30 min to flushing or 1 hr to bayside (train to local bus in flushing)

Old 03-24-2011, 08:04 AM

I forgot to mention...

If you drive, this is your expense
every 5 year replace a toyota corolla (that is that car that will take 300000 mile punsihment) - $20000 = $4000 a year
Gas: assuming it is around $4 a gallon and assume you free flow with some traffic, (220 mile/30MPG = 7.3 Gallon) + GWB toll, that is $35 per day = @276 working days, total = $9660 a year
Maintenance, assume $2000 a year
Parking: you do that one yourself based on situation

so driving will cost you about $16000 a year or $1330 per month.

If you drive and take the MATZ bus and then nyc subway:

Drive: mileage is limited so lets say wear and tear is $2 a day
Gas: about $4 a day for round trip from bus stop to home and back.
Matez bus -using where I am as an example: Effort $509.25 for 44 trips (one month round trip is about 44 trips) and $25.00 parking
NYC subway and buses $100 a month

so matz bus option will cost you about $640 a month AND you get to sleep in the bus for 4-5 hr a day.

make sure you add this HUGE cost to your monthly budget if you plan to commute.

Last edited by poconogirl; 03-24-2011 at 08:20 AM..

Old 03-24-2011, 08:26 AM

sheena is right, avoid Pocono Country Place and its surrounding area, draw a 10 mile radii and avoid it, or the town of Tobyhanna

Old 04-04-2011, 03:27 PM

120 posts, read 225,807 times
Listen to Sheena and poconogirl...it CAN be done...but it's a bear....I would also HIGHLY recommend using the bus over self transportation. Unless you can work out a work schedule that gets you into the city by 7am and right to work and out by 2 or 3 at the latest...I would NOT drive. From my driveway in Taylor PA (right next to Scranton) to the GWB is just about 2 hours on the nose during non rush hour times. If you move into the Milford area (Pike county) you can cut the travel time down to 1.5 hours in non rush hour conditions....and still have a great school district...but you won't have the ammenities and options and conveniences found in the Scranton W-B area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania