U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-24-2011, 07:11 AM

104 posts, read 106,976 times
Default Race relations in Milford/Shohola?

I've perused quite a few threads regarding racism in NEPA, and none of them were really specific to the area I'm moving my family to. I know this is a touchy subject, and I honestly don't desire to start another topic regarding this issue, but I feel compelled to ask anyway.

We're moving from NYC to Shohola. It's a huge change for my wife and kids who are all city-oriented. My mother-in-law also lives with us, and she watches the kids when both my wife and I are at work. Here's the crux of the biscuit though - I'm a pacific islander while my wife is Russian. My parents were originally from the Philippines although I grew up mostly in Australia and Florida. I've served in the United States Army, and thanks to the VA, has allowed us to buy this home in PA during this terrible economic mess the country is in.

With that said, I have pretty thick skin and most of the racial incidents I've encountered in the past were largely ignored. On the other hand, I'm more concerned for my wife and our kids and what someone might say or do to them simply because of me.

From all that I've read online, it seems that Milford and Shohola are fairly progressive townships and are quite welcoming, but I'd like to hear directly from people that have lived in the area. I don't mind if it's good or bad - please share your opinion with me. I'm particularly interested in what anyone would have to say about Shohola Elementary school.

Contrary to what most NEPA locals might think of transplants, both my wife and I are hard working, family-oriented people. We would consider ourselves to be upper-middle class I suppose based on income. We have two girls, one is 5 years old, the other is 15 months. We're moving to Shohola for several reasons; quality of life being one of them along with cost. I believe in the rule of law, and that all people should be held accountable for their actions.

Sorry for the long post, but with that said - what are your thoughts? Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-04-2011, 03:36 PM

96 posts, read 89,129 times
I honestly do not think you are going to have any issues where you are moving to. The Milford area has turned into quite a melting pot with the amount of transplant folks in the area. Shohola elementary is a great school as well....along with the entire district really. There are also a decent number of Russian folks over towards the Dingman's Ferry direction. Your mother inlaw may very well run into some fellow Russian speaking folks while shopping in Milford or Matamoras. To be honest...you may seriously find that the Milford area is more tolerant than many places around NYC. There are plenty of pockets of prejudice in NY, NJ, and LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania