Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 11:28 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
Yup, I swear their big claim to fame was going up to Burger King in Carbondale and starting a fight with a bunch of kids from Carbondale Area. (They did that kind of thing a lot.) A bunch of them also vandalized the high school days before our graduation. (Spray paint, that kind of crap.). Even as a fairly sheltered kid in that district then I thought it was funny - it's even more of a riot to me now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's drug activity in the Scranton area - there were drugs there when I was growing up and I'm sure there's just as much/more now but to say that vandalism of cars automatically equals some kind of gang initiation, that's just laughable. There could be gangs in the area - but they're not going to have people bust windows or slash tires as their initiation - at least not without stealing all the car stereos or the cars themselves.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:03 AM

7 posts, read 61,879 times
Default ....

More or less gives you a hint of the crime increase and the reasons why.

Both published today

Federal report shows Dominican gangs centralizing drug operations in Hazleton - News - Republican Herald

Woman admits role in racially motivated Shenandoah bar fight - News - Republican Herald

Old 04-09-2011, 09:22 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eso1 View Post

sigh!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:59 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,189 times
Denial ....ignorance is bliss

Old 04-09-2011, 12:26 PM

360 posts, read 1,019,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
There is a gang problem out there, but they are not out there vandalizing cars and spray painting schools. More than likely, they're dealing drugs and otherwise keeping to themselves....usually when there's gang violence around here, it's usually against another gang member or somebody that screwed them on a drug deal or something. They're typically not targeting the general public. The one concern we need to have with gangs is that they're not attracting our kids.....being a good parent and an involved parent can stop that.

I remember seeing some graffiti vandlism around Scranton....at a Little League field and a playground...something like "Bloods" or "Crips"...I highly doubt the bloods and crips are out spray painting sliding boards at playgrounds and dugouts at a baseball field. Sounds more like kids who are listening to too much gangsta rap.
This is exactly the point I'm making. Crime does not automatically mean gangs or gang initiation - particularly quality of life stuff like vandalism or what have you. Gangs, particularly an increase in legit gang activity IS a serious issue but it's important to know what actual gang activity and what's bored wannabe teenagers.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:44 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Yeah, beacause those things don't happen in NY or any other place in the country....
Ummmm////since we are on a NEPA forum, and the mod wants things to be about all things NEPA, I am discussing NEPA! BTW, my hometown, never happened. What we did have is od's (heroin, next block over from my house, not a kid either, at teacher from my eldest childrens high school) suicides, and angry white youth that beat to death a latino man ummmm...because they "thought" he was an undcoumented. I beleive he turned out to be Puerto Rican. We also had the MS-13, and Latin Kings move into town, but they were dealt with pretty swiftly.

Unlike Scranton, the land of denial where the mayor and former police chief said there were no gangs, and later told people if cars flashed their lights, not to respond. It was a gang "right of passage" which it was not and never was and a quick check with either the FBI, or snopes.com would have bore out!

Old 04-10-2011, 04:54 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
This is exactly the point I'm making. Crime does not automatically mean gangs or gang initiation - particularly quality of life stuff like vandalism or what have you. Gangs, particularly an increase in legit gang activity IS a serious issue but it's important to know what actual gang activity and what's bored wannabe teenagers.
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!

Made a wrong turn heading back from Philly to our hotel in Mt. Laurel yesterday, my poor ten year old son FREAKED OUT! I learned a few things yesterday, lil man is very attuned to what is outside the car window, he has Mommy's natural instincts about when to get the heck outta dodge, I really do have some male anatomy, and somehow my Army combat vet has lost all ability to navigate a simple road map! So now I have gained the ability to drive, navigate, calm down a ten year old, and deal with doctor induced pain from medical testing all at once. BTW, I knew we were close to home when my bladder and kidneys were tramautized by the road conditions~AGAIN! LOL I have to say the roads in that Camden neighborhood were worse, but not by muchnot loling!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:53 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,573 times

YouTube - wiggers compilation Beware!!! Scranton Gangs!!! LOL

Old 04-11-2011, 11:04 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
What do you call black kids that dress like that? Hmmm....

Old 04-11-2011, 11:49 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What do you call black kids that dress like that? Hmmm....
African Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania