U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:50 PM

108 posts, read 315,481 times

Advertisements

One thing I'm going to miss is my FIOS service. The internet speeds I have now are ridiculously fast with no caps, and the HD service is also great. Right now, it seems the only option I have in Shohola is Blue Ridge and I'm not crazy about their bandwidth limitations.

Anyone have any inside info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 06:04 PM

256 posts, read 649,844 times
Not anytime soon.

That was the answer I got when I talked to someone who works at Verizon in Scranton.

Also in this article in the USA today from last year...
Verizon winds down expensive FiOS expansion
It doesn't sound to promising.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the article. You're right... doesn't sound too promising at all.

I haven't even begun service with Blue Ridge yet and already I don't like them. I guess that's the price I have to pay for living outside of a major metropolitan area.

Edit:
Quote:
Verizon is still negotiating for franchises in some smaller communities, mainly in New York, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania, but it is not working on securing franchises for any major urban areas, Wilner said.
The above was the only positive thing I read in that article... perhaps parts of NEPA might still be in play? If so, I seriously hope they look at Milford and Shohola as there are lot of of New Yorkers moving to the area.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:44 PM

36,686 posts, read 37,465,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
One thing I'm going to miss is my FIOS service. The internet speeds I have now are ridiculously fast with no caps,
Verizon has FIOS service listed at 20mbps? Depends on the cable company but you can speeds like that in some areas.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Verizon has FIOS service listed at 20mbps? Depends on the cable company but you can speeds like that in some areas.
My speeds are rated at 35 mpbs up and 35 down but I'm actually getting a bit more; around 39-40 down on most days.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:24 PM

36,686 posts, read 37,465,174 times
I don't know what the average speed is for sites but the server I'm on tops out at about 10mbps when their isn't much load... Google tells me I'm 87% faster than most sites. There isn't a whole lot of servers or services out there that can take advantage of speeds like that.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't know what the average speed is for sites but the server I'm on tops out at about 10mbps when their isn't much load... Google tells me I'm 87% faster than most sites. There isn't a whole lot of servers or services out there that can take advantage of speeds like that.
I tunnel into my work VPN quite often, and that's where the speeds come in handy. Also having that bandwidth means I can be doing several things at a time or have more than one PC connected to the net without a significant performance decrease.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:33 PM

4 posts, read 11,764 times
The reason were not getting Fios anytime soon is because for a town to get fios you have to be within a certain amount of miles from the MediaHub and we are too far away, Thus if verizon brings fios here they have to build a new mediahub which my friend costs millions of dollars, and maybe one day we MIGHT get one. in 2017.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceylinux View Post
The reason were not getting Fios anytime soon is because for a town to get fios you have to be within a certain amount of miles from the MediaHub and we are too far away, Thus if verizon brings fios here they have to build a new mediahub which my friend costs millions of dollars, and maybe one day we MIGHT get one. in 2017.
OK I can understand that, but if not FIOS, then any other competition in the Shohola or Milford area would be nice. I'm sick of companies getting away with whatever under the sun just because they have a captive market.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:29 PM

4 posts, read 11,764 times
i live in wilkes barre city, and i know exactly what you mean, RCN cable is rolling out lines in wb now and this is the first time in history SECTV has had competition. Honestly there monopoly on the cable industry for my area is horrible.they are over priced and the service blows. i hope they go out of business lol. They stated in a newspaper that they've had competition before and they aren't worried about it blah blah blah, but there talking about satellite this is another CABLE provider. and boy do these people offer a HELL OF ALOT MORE for A HELL OF A LOT LESS!

I check my address EVERYDAY to see if i can order rcn yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania