Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:27 PM

108 posts, read 370,269 times

Advertisements

I've been reading up on Lyme disease in PA, and now I'm concerned. According to the CDC, Pennsylvania has the highest confirmed cases of Lyme disease out of all US states. I've got two little ones, and their health is a primary concern of mine.

What are you folks using to generally lower chances of deer ticks on your property? Is there an effective pesticide available that isn't too harmful to children, and that can be applied to your yard? What other methods, apart from general prevention techniques, do you guys use to minimize getting bitten by ticks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 06:41 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
We have ducks and also many wild turkeys prowl our property. We also have some deer. So far (in the 38 years we have lived at this location) we have not had problems with deer tics or regular tics. We think that the ducks and turkeys eat most anything that crawls. Our ducks even eat gypsy moths and their eggs. However; we have not taught them how to climb our trees to get the moths and egg clusters off the ground. We will have to work on that.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:03 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
The tick is a very small critter...Looks a lot like a freckle...Once it digs in and buries its head in the skin, it begins to feed on blood and slowly grows to look like a fat gray pea. If you bathe your children every day, you can give a quick inspection while they're in the tub...The kids, not the ticks...Lyme disease is not rampant and is generally treated with antibiotics...Every locale has something to worry about...Be vigilant and you should be fine.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:57 AM

513 posts, read 1,079,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepadaisy View Post
If you do get bit, or exhibit symptoms, make sure you know which blood test your doctor should be using and what the optimal medication protocol should be. It's probably not going to be what's offered.

YouTube - ~7~ SEVEN LYME FACTS THAT COULD HAVE SAVED ME!!!
Our 14 year old daughter was (finally) diagnosed March 17. She's been out of schools since Mach 1 with constant headache, sproadic blurred/double vision, balance issues, fatigue, heart palpitations and confusion. Every symptom mentioned in the video. But for the last year and a half, she's had sporadic headaches, and stomach pain which we look back at and wonder if these were precursors. She has never had a tick on her that we are aware of, never had the rash.
We are almost 3 weeks into a 30 day antibiotic regimen, with a second one having been added 5 days ago.
This is a nasty disease.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:39 AM

273 posts, read 957,052 times
For what it is worth there are services that will spray your property for ticks. The need and results will vary of course. This is one in CT that I am familiar with. They used big, commercial spraying equipment that seemed capable of getting into and under a lot of the scrubby stuff where ticks reside.

Of course they won't come to PA but it may provide you with something to evaluate and look for locally. If someone knows of similar PA services, maybe they can post.

Tick Control

Old 04-03-2011, 09:39 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
I have found that you can drastically cut down the amount of ticks in your yard by keeping the grass REALLY short.

I keep my mower on the lowest setting it has. They say this is not good for the grass, but I don't care. My grass seems just fine BTW.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:55 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I have found that you can drastically cut down the amount of ticks in your yard by keeping the grass REALLY short.

I keep my mower on the lowest setting it has. They say this is not good for the grass, but I don't care. My grass seems just fine BTW.
Trouble with short grass is the crab grass will take over. I let my grass get really long so it chokes out the cg.

I hate ticks and it's that time again in the mts. So far I haven't had any stick but a buddy had one on the outside of his cheek!

Old 04-14-2011, 02:08 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,345,213 times
The deer ticks like high, WEEDY grass. They dont really stay on yard-type grass. They are in woods and/or meadows. They may be all around your yard if you live in that type of area - but more than likely they are not right on the grass.

As people have said - check your kids. If they are scratching the same place a lot - check it very closely - the tick will be very small.

We now use a liquid bug repellant that works for ticks also. I ordered it off of Amazon.com - i dont have the bottle right here to look at to see the brand. We use that becuz we DO walk in our woods, and weeds (we garden), and my sister and i have both had Lyme Disease. A powder you can use around your yard is Sevin Dust.

Yes the treatment was antibiotics - for 4 weeks. Mine nauseated me the whole time, so it was no fun. (I live in rural Southwestern NJ.)

Old 04-14-2011, 09:39 PM

108 posts, read 370,269 times
Thank you all for great feedback. Seems my pest guy who does termite and fire ant protection also sprays the yards for ticks. I'll get more info from him when he comes to service the property next week.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:17 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times
I come from LI where we have a large deer population and a large lyme disease population from said deer pop. My eldest sister has been living with this disease since the late 1970's. Thankfully, she is the only one in my large extended family on the island that has had to deal with it.

While hiking, wear long sleeves of cotton, long pants with white socks )for easy viewing of the lil critters) pulled over and outside the bottom of your pant leg. Hats on for men, women and the kiddies. and always, always, check head, hair, groan, etc. after any exposure to tall grasses. Also please remember to check your pets as well. If a tick is found and removed it at home, bag it and tag it and take to your doctor, if antiboitcs are started within I beleive 3 days no severe long lasting issues have been reported I BELEIVE LONG TERM OUT @ 5 YR AND 10 YR. f/u studies.

Pesticeds (sp?) are also of some benefit, but I personally do not like to use them...Happy hiking, camping, fishing, hunting,...I thing y'all got it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania