U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 02:00 PM

14,429 posts, read 8,512,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
As you know, it is an elected office. A position that people spend tens of thousands of dollars to get. How can you think that an elected position that people are lining up for, is underpaid?

If it was a position that no one tried to get elected to, I could see your point. But in this instance, I think you are just taking the opposite position so you can debate a point.
How can I think it's underpaid? Simple. Because I do. LOL I mean these people are running entire cities. They should be compensated fairly. I think $80K is a fair amount.

I'm busy enough these days that I don't need to fake a position to entertain myself. I fail to see what elected or not has to do with one's pay rate. We are all chosen by someone for our jobs, in one form or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 08:01 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,426,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How can I think it's underpaid? Simple. Because I do. LOL I mean these people are running entire cities. They should be compensated fairly. I think $80K is a fair amount.

I'm busy enough these days that I don't need to fake a position to entertain myself. I fail to see what elected or not has to do with one's pay rate. We are all chosen by someone for our jobs, in one form or another.
Its not supposed to be a career position, though. Most of these mayors have other sources of income. Doherty with the family religious trinket business, Leighton in real estate. Because there is no way Doherty affords to live in his Green Ridge mansion with 6 kids on a $50k salary.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:43 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,894,252 times
Quote:

Since you seem to be okay with Leightons salary at about $2.00 per WB citizen, that means our other mayors are in for a huge raise.

Mags salary increases for Mayors -

Pittsburgh from $96k to $650k
Scranton from $45k to $150k
Bethlehem from $82k to $140k

and the biggest winner, the mayor of Philly will have an annual salary of $3 million dollars a year.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Since you seem to be okay with Leightons salary at about $2.00 per WB citizen, that means our other mayors are in for a huge raise.

Mags salary increases for Mayors -

Pittsburgh from $96k to $650k
Scranton from $45k to $150k
Bethlehem from $82k to $140k

and the biggest winner, the mayor of Philly will have an annual salary of $3 million dollars a year.
Ok, spin doctor.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:13 AM

Now Leighton is getting blamed for the rash of stabbings in the city last night. @@ If I roll my eyes as much as I'd like, they'd fall out of my head!

Old 05-07-2011, 09:48 AM

1,974 posts, read 3,285,673 times
Quote:
Now Leighton is getting blamed for the rash of stabbings in the city last night. @@ If I roll my eyes as much as I'd like, they'd fall out of my head!
Of course he is getting blamed...It's political season. We all know that if Charlotte Raup were mayor she would have used her crystal ball to predict the stabbings before they took place, and then would have been at the crime sights simutaneously to stop them...Duh!

Old 05-07-2011, 09:55 AM

1,974 posts, read 3,285,673 times
I seriously don't understand the claim that mayor Leighton is weak on crime issues. The city police department is larger then it's ever been I believe and that's because of him, and also he has spearheaded the installation of the cities high tech surveliance camera network which is not common for a city of W-B's size, and usually only affordable for much larger big cities like Chicago and Baltimore. Until it is leagal to put a perimeter fence around the entire city, and only allow desirable people and people with no criminal background in, there isn't much a mayor can do to prevent crime from happening. If someone wants to commit a crime...they will. The police can only respond after the fact.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:53 AM

There is a town on Long Island that scans license plates of vehicles coming in the city. The police look for warrants, stolen vehicles, etc.

That`s a lot cheaper than building a fence.

i`m really surprised not many people think the mayor is overpaid. did you know that the mayors secretary makes more than the mayor of harrisburg.

why is no one in WB outraged over this?? is it apathy or bragging rights?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
There is a town on Long Island that scans license plates of vehicles coming in the city. The police look for warrants, stolen vehicles, etc.

That`s a lot cheaper than building a fence.

i`m really surprised not many people think the mayor is overpaid. did you know that the mayors secretary makes more than the mayor of harrisburg.

why is no one in WB outraged over this?? is it apathy or bragging rights?
Neither. I don't see a reason to be outraged. Running a city is a lot of work and responsibility. I think it should be justly compensated. $80K doesn't seem overkill for a job like the mayor of a 40K population city. *shrug*

Old 05-09-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Neither. I don't see a reason to be outraged. Running a city is a lot of work and responsibility. I think it should be justly compensated. $80K doesn't seem overkill for a job like the mayor of a 40K population city. *shrug*
Well, I have decided not to care anymore. I don't live in WB and we won't be living in the area much longer.

besides, I have to worry about another armed robbery in Kingston. That makes 2 the first week in May.

Want to buy a house in Kingston?

Hope you had a nice mothers day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania