Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:09 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I really think WB should hire a PR or advertising agency to do a whole campaign about how much WB has changed and what it has to offer.
Exactly. Wilkes-Barre has a major perception problem. It is a common belief from local non-city residents that Wilkes-Barre is very dangerous, you cannot go out after dark, and that you are likely to get mugged or shot if you go for a walk. Of course, for the people that actually live here...that's simply not true and an over-exaggeration of the problem. Yes we have violence and crime, yes there are shady areas that should be avioded, but in general Wilkes-barre is a same city, and probably 97% of the major crime happens among criminals that usually know each other. We are haunted by our past, and seriously need to try to show the positive side of Wilkes-Barre...the good hard working citizens, the River Common, the new buisiness and everything happening downtown, the fact that W-B is fiscally sound. There is a complete lack of effort by city hall to highlight the positives, and promote tourism and events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 10:38 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,888 times
Leighton touts city’s progress at final town hall | The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre & Scranton PA (http://www.timesleader.com/news/Leighton_touts_city_rsquo_s_progress_at_final_town _hall_05-04-2011.html - broken link)

I find it interesting that someone commented Leighton makes double the salary of Doherty. Anybody know if that's true?

Old 05-04-2011, 01:48 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
Leighton touts city’s progress at final town hall | The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre & Scranton PA (http://www.timesleader.com/news/Leighton_touts_city_rsquo_s_progress_at_final_town _hall_05-04-2011.html - broken link)

I find it interesting that someone commented Leighton makes double the salary of Doherty. Anybody know if that's true?
Yeah, Leighton makes way too much money. Something like 80,000 a year...but again, when I see then other candidates running against him, they are downright scary. They look like the people that used to appear on the Jerry Springer show, and most of them have already vowed to halt downtown development if elected and to solely concentrate on neighborhood issues (which I have no problem with) but not at the expense of halting and bringing the possitive development and growth downtown that the city has enjoyed over the last few years. Despite the smeer campaign that claims that Mayor Leighton ignores the city neighborhoods, I just don't think that claim holds any water. The remodeled Coal st Park in the Heights neighborhood, the brand new housing being built in northend (my hood), and the new middle class neighborhood that was built in Miners Mills a few years ago is a testament to Leighton's Neighborhood improvements. Also, the police department is beefed up and has taken on many new hires under Leighton's watch too. So the claim that Leighton ignores the crime problem is also bunk. I am not a cheerleader for Leighton, and I have my own problems with him, but when I compare him to the other candidates...there is no comparison in m mind. I will vote for Leighton again....this time

Old 05-04-2011, 05:59 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,686 times
He seems good to me, though a bit headstrong in some things, there were fights about the fire/police pay equity, maybe some buddyship with his towing company friend perhaps trying to give the Old River Road Bakery property cheap vs another legitimate buyer & due process of a tax sale, etc..
We have been here just she of a year, and haven't delved too much into everything, but I'm always reading the news and try to pick up every tidbit of what's going on around here. I will vote for Tom, but I appreciate Charlotte Raup's presence in the community too, she is definitely the "neighborhood watch" lady, and was in the St Pats parade too. Website:
Crime Free Wilkes-Barre
Some of Leighton's competitors, as in any competition, can try to promise things, but they don't know the budget and what can realistically be done. There are far too many bad streets and potholes, but only so much money. The "block grant" from the Feds has been cut, so that will hurt too.
For me, the main thing is crime and drugs, there needs to be more done about that. Maybe more neighborhood patrols, and a focus on nights and weekends, especially in the warmer weather. The Turkey Hill on Hazel & Wilkes-Barre Blvd seems to get robbed about once a month, and that's just about 6 blocks from us. Would be nice to be able to walk or bike to downtown from here without worrying about some rowdys with guns. But I guess people say it has improved, so maybe we are heading in the right direction.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:55 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
I don't think $80K is a lot to run a midsized city like ours. *shrug*

Old 05-05-2011, 08:16 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:
I don't think $80K is a lot to run a midsized city like ours. *shrug*
Well, seeing that the mayor of Scranton makes $50k and the mayor of Allentown makes $61k, both larger cities, I'd say Leighton is overpaid.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Well, seeing that the mayor of Scranton makes $50k and the mayor of Allentown makes $61k, both larger cities, I'd say Leighton is overpaid.
I have to agree with go phillies. According to google, the mayor of pittsburgh only makes $96k a year.

Leighton at 80k is overpaid. More Luzerne county political greed?

Maybe someone should bring this up, it would be a good election story for the Times Leader.

If he was paid, relative to other mayors, we could fix the fountain.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:03 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Also, why is the W-B mayor elected to a 6 year term? That's an awful long time, especially with the corruption in this area.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:28 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
I think all of those mayors are underpaid for the scope of their job. All in how you see things.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I think all of those mayors are underpaid for the scope of their job. All in how you see things.
As you know, it is an elected office. A position that people spend tens of thousands of dollars to get. How can you think that an elected position that people are lining up for, is underpaid?

If it was a position that no one tried to get elected to, I could see your point. But in this instance, I think you are just taking the opposite position so you can debate a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania