U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-10-2011, 06:44 PM

256 posts, read 427,553 times
Default Former miniature golf course Wilkes-Barre Twp.

Does anybody remember the mini golf course that was located on the corner of R315/R115 in Wilkes-Barre Twp. before the Cross Valley was extended.

I cannot find any info on this. I believe the theme was either the Wizard of Oz, Circus, or something to do with animals.

I was young when I was there.

I'm looking for a name, theme, time frame, pictures, anything...

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-11-2011, 04:57 AM

3,776 posts, read 2,390,811 times
I do have a vague recollection of a mini-golf course in that area, and thinking at the time that it seemed like a strange place to have "fun" with cars whizzing by on both sides. As far as a "theme", I don't recall much about that.

Wasn't there a bad accident in that general area late '70's in which the wife, children and mother-in-law of a local attorney (who shall remain nameless) were nearly decapitated when a runaway truck flattened their Mercedes?

Unread 04-11-2011, 05:31 PM

30 posts, read 37,149 times
I remember the place. That would have been in the early 1980's as I remember it when I went to King's. While I vaguely remember a themed location, could it have been named "Land of Oz"? For some reason, that name popped into my head while reading your post.

Unread 04-12-2011, 07:39 AM

289 posts, read 493,632 times
I remember playing mini-golf there when I was little, I'm thinking it was a Wizard of Oz theme, but I could be totally wrong. One place who should have your answer, would be PennDOT's district 4-0 office up in Dunmore, since they bought the Right-of-way from the business and would have some record of it. Another place to try would be the Times Leader, maybe someone in their news archive can give you some leads on names and pictures and past articles about the construction, just shoot them an email maybe.

On a side note, while I was driving on the North Cross Valley last week, and seeing all the traffic going in both directions, I thought this road project was probably the best new road project in the area since maybe the 60's when the interstate was put in. I don't know if people remember, back in the day, how much harder it was to get to the Back Mountains from Wilkes-Barre Twp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania