Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:13 PM

8 posts, read 33,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
I know people are generally intimidated by the NYC subway system as it's not as tourist friendly as Boston or DC but in this case since you'd be taking the A (Manhattan or Bronx bound) from the Airtrain terminal it really isn't that difficult. It's my preferred mode of transit in the city.

Depending on the time of day you get there, you might even want to get off the subway one stop earlier at Times Square and see the touristy stuff.
I bought my ticket yesterday.I'll land JFK at 2.45pm.It might take almost 1 hour to pass the customs.I hope it wouldn't be too late to catch a bus to Scranton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:14 AM

360 posts, read 1,017,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filhan View Post
I bought my ticket yesterday.I'll land JFK at 2.45pm.It might take almost 1 hour to pass the customs.I hope it wouldn't be too late to catch a bus to Scranton.
You'll be fine, Martz has buses out until the evening hours from Port Authority to Scranton.

https://martztrailways.com/schedules...-authority.asp

Greyhound might also have something to Scranton (which will bring you to the same bus terminal). Their departures tend to be less frequent but they're a little cheaper than Martz is.

Greyhound.com | Home

I don't think you have any other options of lines as the discount lines on the east coast (such as Megabus, Bolt etc) don't go to Scranton. If I'm wrong on this, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Do you have someone to meet you at the bus station in Scranton or will you need transport once you get there to get to your final destination? The county bus line probably won't be running by the time you get in so you'll probably have to get a cab.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:48 PM

8 posts, read 33,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
You'll be fine, Martz has buses out until the evening hours from Port Authority to Scranton.

https://martztrailways.com/schedules...-authority.asp

Greyhound might also have something to Scranton (which will bring you to the same bus terminal). Their departures tend to be less frequent but they're a little cheaper than Martz is.

Greyhound.com | Home

I don't think you have any other options of lines as the discount lines on the east coast (such as Megabus, Bolt etc) don't go to Scranton. If I'm wrong on this, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Do you have someone to meet you at the bus station in Scranton or will you need transport once you get there to get to your final destination? The county bus line probably won't be running by the time you get in so you'll probably have to get a cab.
Probably someone would meet me there.Even if no one comes as you said I can take a cab.

Thank you for your help.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:54 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,943,345 times
Quote:
Probably someone would meet me there.Even if no one comes as you said I can take a cab.

Thank you for your help.
The fastest way is airtrain to jamacia then use E train as the train to port authority its WAY FASTER than a cab!!!! the highway from JFK to Port authority is HORRIBLE!!!!! its cheaper to the E train is direct express to port authority. The traffic here is unbearable the cab and bus to manhattan from JFK will take hours!!!! I live near JFK though I know

Old 04-26-2011, 06:32 AM

360 posts, read 1,017,819 times
Quote:

Thank you for your help.
I know McCarthy Flowered Cabs is the main cab line in Scranton if you need to call them but they probably would have someone outside the station (or info on how to call them) when you get there.

If you land on-time at JFK, (which honestly, might not happen, JFK backs up often - not as badly as Newark but still it's significant) you should be able to catch the monorail by hopefully 4:30 or so. Not sure how long the ride is but the E will be around 50 minutes so think about a 7 pm bus or so from Port Authority (give or take). At that time of day, the bus should actually be somewhat quicker as the the worst of rush hour will have ceased and it'll probably be about 2 hours to Scranton (I'm assuming the bus might have a stop in the Poconos on the way - most Martz buses do I think.) Expect to get into Scranton sometime after 9 if there's no major snafu with the flight being delayed or a big accident on I-80 west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania