Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:35 PM

513 posts, read 1,080,017 times

Advertisements

And again, without the men and women working to actually manufacture the goods, there would be no need of white collar workers. Can't have the yin without the yang sister.

But it is widely understood that the yin and the yang can be in different countries, with manufacturing being sent south years ago, while business functions remained behind. Those are starting to move south as well. Hewlett Packard recently opened a large business administration center in Guadalahara, Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 05:38 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast30 View Post
Nope my dog is alive and healthy. I'm also engaged. And no I wasn't dumped for Prom. But nice try. That is completely irrelevant to this thread. I only discovered city-data not too long ago and found it comedic the amount of threads written about Scranton, my hometown, both positive and negative. I had to contribute even though I'm far far away. I'll also be visiting there over Easter and I'm hoping it won't rain and that I land on the 1 beautfiul sunny day they usually get per month.
Dude, it's not Seattle. I think you need to turn your hyperbole knob down just a skosh. Nice try? We were kidding around with you.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:28 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Dude, it's not Seattle. I think you need to turn your hyperbole knob down just a skosh. Nice try? We were kidding around with you.
Hey look we agree for a change. It's not Seattle.

If you picked up Mogadishu and moved it to England, you would have Scranton.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:35 PM

135 posts, read 230,175 times
Quote:
Never said it rains like Seattle but not very different in terms of cloudiness. I've been to Seattle. Their overcast days are strikingly similar. I know people that moved from Scranton to Seattle. They all say it's similar. Gloomy. Most cities in the country receive more sunshine than Scranton and its noticeable. This time of year there it's cloudy with a chance of sun. It peaks out for like 30 seconds then it's gone. Depressing.

I like your jokes though. Especially the one that asked if "Scranton ran over my dog." I can take the humor! What else you got? I could post in the Riverside County forum, but it's not as controversial.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:07 PM

I've never really noticed the lack of sunny days in Scranton. I don't live there but I can't imagine it would be much different than Wilkes-Barre. Just OOC I did a quick google search and found these:

This site says Avoca only gets 70 sunny days per year! Weather Today - Weather Forecasts, Radar, Maps for 1000s of US and World Cities

And this lists cloudiest cities by a few different "measurements":
Cloudiest Places in United States - Current Results
Scranton isn't on those lists though.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:55 PM

96 posts, read 168,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast30 View Post
I could post in the Riverside County forum, but it's not as controversial.
Lucky us!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:57 PM

96 posts, read 168,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
Hey look we agree for a change. It's not Seattle.

If you picked up Mogadishu and moved it to England, you would have Scranton.
I actually LOLed at this. Well played sir.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:29 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,888 times
Quote:
I've never really noticed the lack of sunny days in Scranton. I don't live there but I can't imagine it would be much different than Wilkes-Barre. Just OOC I did a quick google search and found these:

This site says Avoca only gets 70 sunny days per year! Weather Today - Weather Forecasts, Radar, Maps for 1000s of US and World Cities

You see, all of the government jets that spray chemicals(chemtrails) over the Wyoming Valley fly out of Avoca. Before they land, they have to dump excess chemicals, so as not to be detected by the Avoca PD. This causes the sun to get blocked out. Since it's Avoca, and only vampires and drug dealers live there, the govt. knew no one would notice.......until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRidgeGuy View Post
I actually LOLed at this. Well played sir.
As you laugh, Scrantonites are currently filming "Doherty Down", produced and directed by Paul Sorvino.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:09 PM

135 posts, read 230,175 times
Quote:

Those lists limit to populations over 400,000. Binghamton I believe has 52 sunny days with about 212 cloudy days, which would mean many areas of NEPA are closer to Binghamton's stats. Avoca seems to count an hour of clear skies as completely sunny. Just watch the weather channel, it always appears brighter than what it really is.

Let's face it.. it's a damn cloudy place. Not as oppressive during the warmer months, but definitely in the heart of winter. Sometimes in the summer, a bad system can leave the region with a week of overcast and rain with NO sun. Travel out West and notice the daily blue skies and sunshine, even on partly cloudy days. Even a nearby place like Philly or NYC has more sun during the winter (they're still cloudy though).

Wilkes-Barre and Scranton are both the same. Cloudy. They're both mostly cloudy with maybe a chance of sun. The stats confirm it. It might not bother some people. It's really noticeable if you travel around and lived in other places. I also went to PSU in State College and it had the same constant cloudy weather. When the skies were clear or mostly clear for an entire day during high school and college, the classrooms and lecture halls were practically empty. Everyone talked about it like it was a holiday. On the flipside, you tend to appreciate the limited sunny days more than say where I live now . Hopefully when I visit, I can enjoy it with you!

Old 04-19-2011, 05:44 AM

I guess I don't notice it because I've lived here all my life. I don't mind the weather too much (except for the winter - yuk).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania