U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:13 PM

41 posts, read 77,635 times

Advertisements

I am working with an old census, and I know full well that after several decades...or more....houses disappear, streets disappear, even towns disappear.

But sometime towns morph, and what used to be part of town A is now considered town B.

So I'm looking at a census for a Third Avenue in Jermyn. When I try to map that now, I keep being given Third Street in Archbald.

Does anyone with knowledge of those towns have any idea if that might be the same street, but now part of Archbald instead?

Or does anyone know if perhaps Third Avenue in Jermyn is something that like so many other places, has simply ceased to exist?

Thanks so much for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 05:44 AM

14,571 posts, read 9,004,131 times
I see your post got a lot of views but no answers. Did you try the county historical society? They are your best bet. They should have maps from different years so you can trace the transformation of a street/town over decades into it's present visage. Good luck!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:54 AM

7,939 posts, read 9,725,386 times
3rd St in Archbald is actually in Eynon (a section of Archbald). There is a 5th St in Jermyn, off of Rushbrook St (the street is actually on the Jermyn/Mayfield line), so I'm guessing the north-south avenues in Jermyn used to be numbered. 3rd Avenue more than likely would be Jefferson Ave now....with Washington Ave being 1st Ave, and so on.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:34 AM

41 posts, read 77,635 times
Thanks for the answers. I have a baby at home right now, so actually going places to find info is tricky to work out, since many places are open for business when I don't have my husband home to take the baby.

But, perhaps I can find a day and try to hit several places.

Thanks again for the replies.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:27 PM

14,571 posts, read 9,004,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanell View Post
Thanks for the answers. I have a baby at home right now, so actually going places to find info is tricky to work out, since many places are open for business when I don't have my husband home to take the baby.

But, perhaps I can find a day and try to hit several places.

Thanks again for the replies.
You can call and ask them to do the research for you. Any information they find, they will mail it to you.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:37 PM

313 posts, read 551,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanell View Post
So I'm looking at a census for a Third Avenue in Jermyn. When I try to map that now, I keep being given Third Street in Archbald.

Does anyone with knowledge of those towns have any idea if that might be the same street, but now part of Archbald instead?

Or does anyone know if perhaps Third Avenue in Jermyn is something that like so many other places, has simply ceased to exist?
It could be one in the same. Back when I was in college, over 15 years ago, I worked for a local utility company during the summer. My job was to look up the sketches for main locations and service hookups so they could be marked out and not be hit, if someone was digging. Well, our area went from Scranton all the way up to Carbondale and there were places where over time (90 years) one street would change names.

Our sketches went back to the early 1900's when all the mains, gas and water, were made from cast iron with bell joints. We had hundreds of small sketch books with 144 pages each, it was like taking a trip back in time, seeing hand drawn sketches of property lines, outlines of houses and even people's last name on the house location. I wish I could remember if that was one of those places that changed names.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:20 PM

30 posts, read 43,693 times
I'll second about using the Historical Society. I believe they are open Tuesday thru Saturday. Google search their website for exact hours. They have a number of maps going back into the early years. They also have City Directories. I might suggest the Carbondale Historical Society though as their Carbondale City Directories may include Jermyn and Archbald.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:26 AM

1,425 posts, read 2,322,179 times
One easy way from home would be to use the county resources. You can look up a current home on Jefferson Ave in the Assessor's index. Then you can take that PIN number and reference it in the Recorder's index, which will show you an image of the deed.

Look through the deed for a mention of the previous title transfer, it will have a book/page listing. Use that and it should take you back, step by step, through the home's history, including location and street name.

It may take a few minutes to figure out how to use the indexes, but you can do it from home and it can be fun once you start to peel back the layers.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:03 PM

7,939 posts, read 9,725,386 times
You can look up copies of deeds here:
Government Records Search

You can look up the PIN number here:
Lackawanna County Assessors Office Search

Old 04-19-2011, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 870 times
Jermyn has it's own historical society. Call this dude. He owns a flower shop in Jermyn. Called Avery's. Nice guy. He'll hook you up. 570-876-3171
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania