Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 01:32 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Well, if a cop feels that their union contract comes before cleaning up the streets of Scranton, maybe they're in the wrong line of work. Maybe they can get a union job where the stakes aren't so high.

I support unions as far as negotiating for fair pay and benefits, and for keeping their jobs safe from politicians who may want to clean house and give out jobs to cronies....but this kind of union BS really ruffles my feathers....and is exactly why most people are anti-union.
They keep bringing up the contract like it's the holy grail. In terms of public safety, sometimes you have to look past the contract. I'm not saying that all contracts should not be followed, but in this case it should have been passed. The union is using this as a ploy, plain and simple. I would rather have public safety, then worrying about some union contract, in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 02:18 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
So you won't mind if a cop gives you a ticket for doing 56 on a 55 MPH zone, right? After all, it is black and white, you broke the law and should be punished severely for it. Or credit card companies should immediately hire a collection agency and go after your personal assets if you miss one payment. But when big companies try to enforce their written contracts, the liberals cry and moan that they are picking on the 'little guy'.

I'd rather have UNION LEADERS with the common decency of thinking of what is best for the citizens of Scranton, rather than nitpicking over stupid stuff. Please, tell me what damage, direct or indirect, did the chief's actions cause to any union member?
If that is what the LAW says, then yes. It sucks. But it's the law. Credit card companies? What do their terms of use say? Does it say "one missed payment and off to the collection agency you go"? Yes? Then that's that, isn't it?

I don't know what you are talking about with the liberal slant. Most people I know complaining about the stuff you listed are supposedly moral, God fearing right wingers.

But again, if this guy messed up off duty it would come back and bite the city in the butt. You must enforce rules and laws and contracts even if it's not the popular decision. It didn't cause any issues. This time. But it must be prevented from happening by making clear that the contract is not a negotiable item.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
They keep bringing up the contract like it's the holy grail. In terms of public safety, sometimes you have to look past the contract. I'm not saying that all contracts should not be followed, but in this case it should have been passed. The union is using this as a ploy, plain and simple. I would rather have public safety, then worrying about some union contract, in this case.
THEY keep bringing up the contract because that is what this guy violated.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:37 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,088 times

Old 04-25-2011, 02:49 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,880 times
Does the contract specify what can the chief do when he is OFF-DUTY? What if another citizen, not affiliated with the city, knows about a crime in progress and makes a citizen's arrest? Will the union file a grievance too?

I can see the union complaining if the city is requiring the chief to patrol the streets during his working hours. But, what the chief does in his own free time should be nobody's business, including the union.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Does the contract specify what can the chief do when he is OFF-DUTY? What if another citizen, not affiliated with the city, knows about a crime in progress and makes a citizen's arrest? Will the union file a grievance too?

I can see the union complaining if the city is requiring the chief to patrol the streets during his working hours. But, what the chief does in his own free time should be nobody's business, including the union.
Exactly. If there were no other cops in the area and the chief needed to make an arrest, what's the problem? He wasn't patrolling the streets and going around looking for arrests. What about a citizen arrest? Good question.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:46 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,189 times
Quote:
Exactly. If there were no other cops in the area and the chief needed to make an arrest, what's the problem? He wasn't patrolling the streets and going around looking for arrests. What about a citizen arrest? Good question.

yes, he was, read the article.. he was off duty and responded to a complaint . two wrongs.. 1 freelancing 2 expressly prohibited by contract, which was grieved previously and won.. there is all ready case law on it.. its a win for the union.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
yes, he was, read the article.. he was off duty and responded to a complaint . two wrongs.. 1 freelancing 2 expressly prohibited by contract, which was grieved previously and won.. there is all ready case law on it.. its a win for the union.
In reality, I don't care about the union or their contract. This happened in an area that I live near. So, if there is one less drug dealer or criminal, it's a win for us!!!!! Yes, he responded to a complaint, but he wasn't walking a beat or taking other calls, it was a one-time thing that helped out a neighborhood. Can you put aside the contract this one time?

Old 04-25-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Exactly. Citizens arrests aren't as cut and dry as some here would have others believe. People who act in such a manner open themselves up for lawsuits and criminal charges because it can be construed as kidnapping, impersonating a LEO, wrongful arrest, etc. Actually, it's very similar to the insanity or self defense pleas. People think they can be used in a wide array of circumstances but when you look at the law and cases where such things have been applied, one would see the common knowledge in this area is quite wrong.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
In reality, I don't care about the union or their contract. This happened in an area that I live near. So, if there is one less drug dealer or criminal, it's a win for us!!!!! Yes, he responded to a complaint, but he wasn't walking a beat or taking other calls, it was a one-time thing that helped out a neighborhood. Can you put aside the contract this one time?

So IOW as long as you benefit from an act, it's a-ok? Good thinking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania