Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:38 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Enough with the hi-jacking, all of you. Here's the OP ^ Any more chest thumping, finger pointing posts after this will be deleted.
Don't go chasing waterfalls. Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you' re used to. I know that you're gonna have it your way or nothing at all ...

Oh wait, sorry......The Police Chief done good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 12:15 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I agree with the structure thing and he should not go out and be a renegade cop and go looking for crime. But, he was acting on a complaint and was in the area and did something good for the community. Again, if a crime was staring him in the face, even though he was off duty, the cop in him would act upon it and he should be applauded. Cops are cops 24/7, it's in their blood, if they turned a blind eye to it, what kind of a cop would they truly be?

You miss 2 points,
1 When he took the position of chief he relinquished his rights contractually to be a street cop. he is now Administration
2 it didnt fall in his face, the news article clearly states he responded to a complaint and then chose to renegade police the situation...

If he is Chief and has faith in his workforce he should have followed chain of command and passed it to the on duty officers.. there are officers on duty 24/ 7 so there is no excuse for not doing so...

Old 04-24-2011, 02:51 AM

513 posts, read 1,079,667 times
This complaint is not about public safety, chain of command, proper procedure, etc, etc. It is union nitpicking over a contract. From the the complaintant's own mouth:

Union president Lieutenant Bob Martin said Chief Duffy broke the law because his position is not part of the bargaining unit.
"Our young officers are out there working day and night and weekends and they're working hard and they have to live with that threat over their head that they're going to be laid off," said Lt. Martin.

The complaint states that "the work of apprehending and arresting individuals has been the sole and exclusive province of members of the bargaining unit," and that the city did not inform or negotiate with the union that the chief would be "performing bargaining unit work."

Old 04-24-2011, 07:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I agree with the structure thing and he should not go out and be a renegade cop and go looking for crime. But, he was acting on a complaint and was in the area and did something good for the community. Again, if a crime was staring him in the face, even though he was off duty, the cop in him would act upon it and he should be applauded. Cops are cops 24/7, it's in their blood, if they turned a blind eye to it, what kind of a cop would they truly be?
No, he answered a call. He did not stop a crime in progress that he witnessed. Those are two completely different things. Again, he DID NOT WITNESS THE CRIME. So that is a strawman argument here. It has not place in this discussion because that's not what happened.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:13 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE_NePA View Post
This complaint is not about public safety, chain of command, proper procedure, etc, etc. It is union nitpicking over a contract. From the the complaintant's own mouth:

Union president Lieutenant Bob Martin said Chief Duffy broke the law because his position is not part of the bargaining unit.
"Our young officers are out there working day and night and weekends and they're working hard and they have to live with that threat over their head that they're going to be laid off," said Lt. Martin.

The complaint states that "the work of apprehending and arresting individuals has been the sole and exclusive province of members of the bargaining unit," and that the city did not inform or negotiate with the union that the chief would be "performing bargaining unit work."
It does not matter what their motivation is. It is clearly stated in the contract and the job duties that Administration is NOT to perform these types of jobs. Simple as that.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
It does not matter what their motivation is. It is clearly stated in the contract and the job duties that Administration is NOT to perform these types of jobs. Simple as that.
Correct Mags,
and THAT is why the city loses arbitration after arbitration, they simply dont follow the CONTRACT they signed their name to
FYI the CONTRACT is a 2 way street, the city can file against the unions if they break the CONTRACT, when is the last time anyone heard of that happening?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:57 AM

"Originally Posted by DE_NePA
This complaint is not about public safety, chain of command, proper procedure, etc, etc. It is union nitpicking over a contract. From the the complaintant's own mouth:"

Sorry, not nitpicking the CONTRACT is specific and clear, it was broken, public sentiment aside, it was the proper thing to do. When there is a CONTRACT.. a legally binding document signed by 2 parties, you dont pick and choose what parts you want to follow and what parts you dont. if you did that the CONTRACT would be useless..

Old 04-24-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Ja, ich verstehe, war ich wichtige Punkte zu diesen Themen gemacht. Verstehen Sie?

Mag - you keep jumping from point to point. Why mention that it's not like the chief witnessed a crime as it occurred, and interceded? From a contractual standpoint, that wouldn't matter, he'd still be in violation (unless there are specific exclusions that we don't know about). I address that point, and you say that doesn't matter. Then why bring it up over and over?

My point that I made earlier is that some labor negotiator stuck that language in the contract, and some idiot from the city allowed that language to stay in. That sort of protectionism may have a place in a streets administration or parks and rec union's contract with the city, but it doesn't belong in a contract between the city and police or fire fighters.

My stance is this. From a public safety standpoint, the chief did the right thing. From a fiscal responsibility standpoint, if he violates the labor contract, he does expose the city to whatever sanctions there might be, including (I guess) fines or other monetary damages. I wonder if American society is at the point yet when a police union would seek financial compensation from the taxpayers who pay their salaries in a petty job protectionism situation like this. I hope the hell not, for a lot of reasons. And you can bet that if they did, that clause wouldn't make it thru the next contract negotiations.

Last edited by DE_NePA; 04-24-2011 at 08:26 AM..

Old 04-24-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE_NePA View Post
Ja, ich verstehe, war ich wichtige Punkte zu diesen Themen gemacht. Verstehen Sie?

Mag - you keep jumping from point to point. Why mention that it's not like the chief witnessed a crime as it occurred, and interceded? From a contractual standpoint, that wouldn't matter, he'd still be in violation (unless there are specific exclusions that we don't know about). I address that point, and you say that doesn't matter. Then why bring it up over and over?

My point that I made earlier is that some labor negotiator stuck that language in the contract, and some idiot from the city allowed that language to stay in. That sort of protectionism may have a place in a streets administration or parks and rec union's contract with the city, but it doesn't belong in a contract between the city and police or fire fighters.

My stance is this. From a public safety standpoint, the chief did the right thing. From a fiscal responsibility standpoint, if he violates the labor contract, he does expose the city to whatever sanctions there might be, including (I guess) fines or other monetary damages. I wonder if American society is at the point yet when a police union would seek financial compensation from the taxpayers who pay their salaries in a petty job protectionism situation like this. I hope the hell not, for a lot of reasons. And you can bet that if they did, that clause wouldn't make it thru the next contract negotiations.

If I may,
If Chief Duffys calling is to be out on the streets, maybe his promotion to a administrative position was ill though out?
The whole thing, public opinion aside is there is management and there are the workers.. each have their jobs, and neither is allowed to do the others.
Should the rank and file be allowed to issue orders if they thought it was a good idea?? other side of the coin, and you cant have it both ways.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Should the rank and file be allowed to issue orders if they thought it was a good idea??
That's pretty laughable. Duffy was a street cop, promoted up thru the ranks. To equate his doing the work of his former positions to allowing someone with no command or managerial experience to issue orders is a specious argument. You can do better than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania