U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 05:24 AM

1,974 posts, read 3,174,177 times
Default What should replace The Hotel Sterling in downtown Wilkes-Barre?

Well it looks pretty likely that the old hotel will be torn down. So, if YOU got to be developer of that sight what would you like to see built on that key lot? What do you think would have the most beneficial impact for the Wyoming Valley. As I stated before in other post, I'd personally love to see what I would call "The Wyoming Valley Marketplace"...an urban, indoor, yearound farmers market similar to Reading Terminal Market in downtown Philly http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/. I think this would have a massive, positive effect on downtown W-B and the valley. If the downtown wants people to live there full time, they really need a market with produce, butchers, fish mongors etc. The one in Philly features food vendors from all over the world, spice vendors, arts and crafts, candles, fresh flowers, even a raw oyster bar and pub in house. there is a central court with tables where you can sit and eat lunch, I'd like the one in W-B to offer outdoor seating around the perimeter of the building (especially the River St side facing the River Common, and maybe even a small playground area for kids). The location is awesome and centrally located between King's and Wilkes colleges, right in the heart of the office building area, across the street from the River Common and a block and a half from Public Square. I personally like THIS idea because unlike another hotel, or another condo project or office building (which only impacts a small group of people that use those entities) this would be open to the public and serve everybody. What are you thoughts Wyoming Valley residents and non residents? What are some awesome ideas for that spot? What have you seen in other cities that you think would work well here?

Last edited by W-B proud; 04-28-2011 at 05:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 05:35 AM

14,245 posts, read 7,927,253 times
I love that idea WBP. Another thing or two is local interest museums dedicated to coal mining, the Susquehanna River and it's impact on the area, and the area's role in the Pennamite Wars.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I love that idea WBP. Another thing or two is local interest museums dedicated to coal mining, the Susquehanna River and it's impact on the area, and the area's role in the Pennamite Wars.
Yeah it is a shame and embarrassment that there is no "decent" museum for the valley. We have such a rich and old history? Did you know that the original fort town that was Wilkes-Barre was burned down twice by the british during the revolutionary war? I read that somewhere. Wilkes-Barre is one of the oldest settlements in our region as well as other towns like Forty-Fort. There is so much history even prior to the coal boom days that is literally forgotten. It is embarrassing that there isn't a respectable museum to commemorate our rich history.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:01 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,057,907 times
WBP, that sounds like a great idea....unfortunately the site will probably become another Rite Aid or Burger King.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
WBP, that sounds like a great idea....unfortunately the site will probably become another Rite Aid or Burger King.
Sad but true...or a bank branch. Of course our honorable leadership will try to spin it as a success..."we took an old dilapidated building, and put it back on the tax roles!!! Vote for me! Vote for me!...anyway, it's nice to dream.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,816,511 times
If you tear it down, what else can you put in there besides a bank or Wendy's? Parking would be an issue.

I would like to see a Reading Terminal Market, science center, museum, or dave and busters, but for all of those places, where would people park?
I guess you could build a structure that has a parking deck below it, but I just can't see someone investing that amount of money in WB.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
If you tear it down, what else can you put in there besides a bank or Wendy's? Parking would be an issue.

I would like to see a Reading Terminal Market, science center, museum, or dave and busters, but for all of those places, where would people park?
I guess you could build a structure that has a parking deck below it, but I just can't see someone investing that amount of money in WB.
I envision the whole lot being a small parkade with the ground level being the actual marketplace with the parkade being on top. This not only would allow enough space for a decent sized marketplace but would serve a dual purpose as extra downtown parking and sorely needed parking for the River Common across the street which currently doesn't have it's own parking area.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:09 AM

10,494 posts, read 8,203,513 times
We ARE so rich in History that a museum would be a wonderful and long overdue adition to the social and cultural offerings of Wilkes-Barre.
I agree that the focus should be coal mining. I would hope that the museum would be not only for children or for adults, but intellectually accessible to all.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:02 AM

25,890 posts, read 44,218,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Yep. They'll take a lesson from the Downtown redevelopment handbook of Pittston!

Old 04-30-2011, 10:39 AM

48 posts, read 56,097 times
If I were to be developer of the site I would build an exact replica of the Hotel Sterling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania