Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 06:45 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,929,164 times

Advertisements

I believe it is Pocono Mt East or West that is laying off a boat load of teachers. No, it is not Big Bass Lake. As far as the wise crack comment from somone that never lived here, and does not have a child, you have some nerve.

Although, some think it is no big deal for my son to have to get shipped to other parts of the city, I DO! I bought my home here, because my husband wanted to. It allowed my son to finish up his elemetary school years. He has one more year left, during that year, I will be fixing up my handy man special. Since I have bought my home, the one of the closest fire houses has closed. The savior of the city, the New Med School has it's construction fence so close to the front door of what would be my son's next school, they really should just give the kids hard hats and put them on the clock.

You can all rant about how higher education is so benefical to this city, but what I see everyday in the actions and goings on here, is that children are let known early on, that they are viewed as after thoughts if any by the powers that be. Elementary schools do not even have playgrounds for the children, how sad is that? Yesterday my son came home and told me he got his name in the "book"! A little notebook that the esteemed prinicpal of Neil Armstrong instituated for the lunch aids to report the childrens "misbehavior" during lunch time and recess. His crime, talking..yup, talking, not yelling, not screaming, talking.

The boys ( oh yeah did I mention that the boys and girls are seperated for lunch and recess, very progessive huh/) use to invent their own games on the abandoned parking lot that they are allowed to play on during recess; nope can not do that anymore. Tag, not allowed, they are allowed to play kick ball. That is it.

The teachers at Neil Armstrong truly are some of the finest, most compassionate educators I have ever had the pleasure to meet, the Princpal, I think she would be wonderful for High School or a State Prison. MY son is a straight A student ( that does not utilize the accomadations afforded him by his IEP) his works very hard, he is polite and a nice human being, but everyday I see him losing a bit of his shine. It is hard to explain the rules to him, when to be honest, I do not understand them myself. I remember being his age, it was a wonderful time, filled with what became a lifetime love of learning and exploration, but I also remember being allowed to be a kid, nope not anymore!

As I said, we will continue to own this home, pay taxes to this city, and hope for its future, but you bet ya booty I am taking my most precious gift and getting outta dodge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 06:55 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,114,719 times
Ive been living in Northern Wayne county for 6 yrs now , (lived in Monroe for 14 yrs and hated it ) You'll like Wayne county , You are pretty close to the Monroe County line But you'll enjoy the peacefulness of the area .. Good luck and Enjoy ..

Old 05-04-2011, 07:41 AM

Thank you! I think I will be too! The only place I ever picked out for myself and by myself as a adult, was this little crappy (from the outside) single wide mobile home in the middle of BFN Texas.

I loved it, the inside was done by me and for me. I could sit on my deck at dusk ( when I was not slinging booze to GI's that is) and watch the sunset... I felt like I was the only person in the world for the few moments in time when day said hello to night. It truly was heaven.

I have spent my life from the time I was 7 years old in the service of others one way or another, and I have to tell you, I will still stop for broken down cars, ask the elderly if the need a hand, use my please and thank you and try and set a good example for my son. If a building is on fire, yes I would probally still be stupid enough to run in if someone was in there, and still reneder what aid I know.

I will not nor ever again, be publicly vocal on any issue. I am too thin skinned, and my "soul is worn too thin". I figue 37 years of taking care, fighting for and taking a stand is long enough. I think I will retire from all of it. At the end of the day, when I sit shell shocked and hurt, and lose 36 hours of sleep because I am in a WTF state...I am cooked, put a fork in me I am done.

If I had my way, I would pitch a tent in the desert, but lil man needs access to other people and places...but he is ten so there is hope for that yet!

Old 05-04-2011, 07:53 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,754,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
I believe it is Pocono Mt East or West that is laying off a boat load of teachers. No, it is not Big Bass Lake. As far as the wise crack comment from somone that never lived here, and does not have a child, you have some nerve.

Although, some think it is no big deal for my son to have to get shipped to other parts of the city, I DO! I bought my home here, because my husband wanted to. It allowed my son to finish up his elemetary school years. He has one more year left, during that year, I will be fixing up my handy man special. Since I have bought my home, the one of the closest fire houses has closed. The savior of the city, the New Med School has it's construction fence so close to the front door of what would be my son's next school, they really should just give the kids hard hats and put them on the clock.

You can all rant about how higher education is so benefical to this city, but what I see everyday in the actions and goings on here, is that children are let known early on, that they are viewed as after thoughts if any by the powers that be. Elementary schools do not even have playgrounds for the children, how sad is that? Yesterday my son came home and told me he got his name in the "book"! A little notebook that the esteemed prinicpal of Neil Armstrong instituated for the lunch aids to report the childrens "misbehavior" during lunch time and recess. His crime, talking..yup, talking, not yelling, not screaming, talking.

The boys ( oh yeah did I mention that the boys and girls are seperated for lunch and recess, very progessive huh/) use to invent their own games on the abandoned parking lot that they are allowed to play on during recess; nope can not do that anymore. Tag, not allowed, they are allowed to play kick ball. That is it.

The teachers at Neil Armstrong truly are some of the finest, most compassionate educators I have ever had the pleasure to meet, the Princpal, I think she would be wonderful for High School or a State Prison. MY son is a straight A student ( that does not utilize the accomadations afforded him by his IEP) his works very hard, he is polite and a nice human being, but everyday I see him losing a bit of his shine. It is hard to explain the rules to him, when to be honest, I do not understand them myself. I remember being his age, it was a wonderful time, filled with what became a lifetime love of learning and exploration, but I also remember being allowed to be a kid, nope not anymore!

As I said, we will continue to own this home, pay taxes to this city, and hope for its future, but you bet ya booty I am taking my most precious gift and getting outta dodge.
We had a similiar experience with school and it was because of the principal not letting go of her attitude wanting to make an example of my son. It took us about 4 months to get him back to himself, and also as a result, my other son dislikes the school a lot.
We too plan on moving as there is only so much one can deal with.

Good luck

Old 05-04-2011, 08:17 AM

159 posts, read 455,784 times
Welcome to Gouldsboro. I hope everything works out well for you and your son. I am only a part time resident there, but I pretty sure they built a nice new school in North Pocono district in Daleville(?)

Old 05-04-2011, 09:22 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,169,674 times
I think it is very important for people with kids to either live in an area with a good school district or send kids to private school.
Living in a good school district also does wonders for property values!

Good luck!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:26 AM

ty, me too!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:24 AM

159 posts, read 455,784 times
Make sure you take your son to Gouldsboro State Park this summer. You will love the beach at the lake.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:27 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,765,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
Thank you! I think I will be too! The only place I ever picked out for myself and by myself as a adult, was this little crappy (from the outside) single wide mobile home in the middle of BFN Texas.

I loved it, the inside was done by me and for me. I could sit on my deck at dusk ( when I was not slinging booze to GI's that is) and watch the sunset... I felt like I was the only person in the world for the few moments in time when day said hello to night. It truly was heaven.

I have spent my life from the time I was 7 years old in the service of others one way or another, and I have to tell you, I will still stop for broken down cars, ask the elderly if the need a hand, use my please and thank you and try and set a good example for my son. If a building is on fire, yes I would probally still be stupid enough to run in if someone was in there, and still reneder what aid I know.

I will not nor ever again, be publicly vocal on any issue. I am too thin skinned, and my "soul is worn too thin". I figue 37 years of taking care, fighting for and taking a stand is long enough. I think I will retire from all of it. At the end of the day, when I sit shell shocked and hurt, and lose 36 hours of sleep because I am in a WTF state...I am cooked, put a fork in me I am done.

If I had my way, I would pitch a tent in the desert, but lil man needs access to other people and places...but he is ten so there is hope for that yet!
I raised my boys in Gouldsboro, great town, great people. I wish you the best of luck!!!!!!!!!. I still go up there, they renovated the old train station across the street from the post office, i've been there a few times to take pics and just hang. You'll love living there!!!! So peaceful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania