U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2011, 09:15 AM
 
258 posts, read 457,760 times
Reputation: 144
Wink de gustibus non est disputandum

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
It's not credible to us because it tastes horrible. At the very least, you have to admit that OF pizza is overrated by the locals.
Taste is often acquired and as such often very local. It is influenced by genes, what is eaten in one's youth and as one grows, and even what one is told/taught is 'good'. Memories contribute to this as time passes both positively and negatively.

Snails, fish eggs, urchins, entrails, organs, insects, are but a few examples. Some would claim these are delicacies others not. Here are some interesting examples: 10 Most Unusual Delicacies From Around The World

Using American and similar cheeses on baked dough and tomato sauce seems tame by comparison and hardly worth the clamor this topic often generates. Assertions that OF style pizza is somehow not 'real' or tastes 'horrible' (to YOU...not everyone unless the implication is that are all too dull to realize it?) is a silly crusade in NEPA, smacks of elitism and is just plain boring. OTOH, it IS kind of sad that it is such a popular topic on C-D, but it is what it is.

I recall enjoying good pizza in NJ, NY, CT, IL, CA and also in NEPA or OF/PA. In each place there were some pizzas that were a lot better than others. Many places regarded their pizzas as 'the best'. This is also true in NEPA. To add to this for newbies to NEPA, OF style pizza is not all the same or just from one place or for that matter one town. There are many recipes and varieties.

Do I think OF style is 'the best' pizza in the world. Not really. I never suggested it was. For some it may be. Good for them, especially if they live in NEPA. I will, however, continue to enjoy it frequently and purchase it from a few different places, even if it isn't REAL pizza or if it is HORRIBLE..... and all &nn of you who seek real pizza can enjoy whatever it is you enjoy. We folks from NEPA who enjoy OF style Pizza won't mock you or or what you eat for doing so. We are too tasteful to do so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 AM
 
14,258 posts, read 8,182,066 times
Reputation: 6710
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
It's not credible to us because it tastes horrible. At the very least, you have to admit that OF pizza is overrated by the locals.
Nah. No one has to admit that because taste is a very subject, personal thing. I will admit that the severity with which people argue about this subject leaves me scratching my head in dumbfounded wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 09:18 AM
 
14,258 posts, read 8,182,066 times
Reputation: 6710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyz View Post
Taste is often acquired and as such often very local. It is influenced by genes, what is eaten in one's youth and as one grows, and even what one is told/taught is 'good'. Memories contribute to this as time passes both positively and negatively.

Snails, fish eggs, urchins, entrails, organs, insects, are but a few examples. Some would claim these are delicacies others not. Here are some interesting examples: 10 Most Unusual Delicacies From Around The World

Using American and similar cheeses on baked dough and tomato sauce seems tame by comparison and hardly worth the clamor this topic often generates. Assertions that OF style pizza is somehow not 'real' or tastes 'horrible' (to YOU...not everyone unless the implication is that are all too dull to realize it?) is a silly crusade in NEPA, smacks of elitism and is just plain boring. OTOH, it IS kind of sad that it is such a popular topic on C-D, but it is what it is.

I recall enjoying good pizza in NJ, NY, CT, IL, CA and also in NEPA or OF/PA. In each place there were some pizzas that were a lot better than others. Many places regarded their pizzas as 'the best'. This is also true in NEPA. To add to this for newbies to NEPA, OF style pizza is not all the same or just from one place or for that matter one town. There are many recipes and varieties.

Do I think OF style is 'the best' pizza in the world. Not really. I never suggested it was. For some it may be. Good for them, especially if they live in NEPA. I will, however, continue to enjoy it frequently and purchase it from a few different places, even if it isn't REAL pizza or if it is HORRIBLE..... and all &nn of you who seek real pizza can enjoy whatever it is you enjoy. We folks from NEPA who enjoy OF style Pizza won't mock you or or what you eat for doing so. We are too tasteful to do so
Or what he said. ^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Scranton
1,987 posts, read 1,992,269 times
Reputation: 1834
I'm not putting anyone down for like OF pizza, i guess it's what you grow up with. Everytime i plan a trip to Jersey i wanna go get pizza, because i can't get what i like here. It just baffles me that Jersey and NEPA are not far from each other and the pizza is so different. My sister in Jersey thinks i'm nuts when i tell her about the American cheese that they put on pizza here, she really doesn't believe it. I told her next time i come, i'll bring her a slice. She just can't comprehend that people actually put american cheese on pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Forty Fort
4,017 posts, read 2,858,587 times
Reputation: 8447
I don't comprehend gravy on french fries but as long as I don't have to eat it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 11:29 AM
 
Location: NE PA
7,940 posts, read 9,227,252 times
Reputation: 4242
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I don't comprehend gravy on french fries but as long as I don't have to eat it...
Mmmmm...gravy fries. Goes great with wings.

What's not to comprehend about gravy on fries? Fries are potatoes, and we put gravy on mashed potatoes....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Forty Fort
4,017 posts, read 2,858,587 times
Reputation: 8447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Mmmmm...gravy fries. Goes great with wings.

What's not to comprehend about gravy on fries? Fries are potatoes, and we put gravy on mashed potatoes....
Bon Appetit!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 11:37 AM
 
258 posts, read 457,760 times
Reputation: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I don't comprehend gravy on french fries but as long as I don't have to eat it...
Not my cup o' fries either but....apparently some prefer them with BOTH gravy and cheese (Wiz?) which I've seen offered . But then, to be fair and balanced, some like vinegar on fries, an old 'shore' boardwalk fav.

How about ice cream, originally mostly chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and a few other flavors, now comes in a few hundred other concoctions.

With these examples of ranges in taste, OF pizza seems pretty sedate (to me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 03:18 PM
 
503 posts, read 486,283 times
Reputation: 334
My wife (she's from the South) likes gravy on everything too, potatoes, hamburgers, chicken livers, bread and meat, sometimes with Cheeze Whiz too. I think that all totally ruins the flavor. I'll eat mine usually with sauteed onions and ketchup, and in many cases I'll eat just about anything with added mozzarella, parmesan and tomato sauce, even on my veggies like cauliflower, or on boiled chicken thighs. She refuses to eat anything like that, so I guess to each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Scranton
1,987 posts, read 1,992,269 times
Reputation: 1834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Mmmmm...gravy fries. Goes great with wings.

What's not to comprehend about gravy on fries? Fries are potatoes, and we put gravy on mashed potatoes....
Right, gravy goes on mashed potatoes, so i can see gravy on fries, i don't like it, but i get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:38 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top