Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 07:18 PM

246 posts, read 593,212 times

Advertisements

Hey guy i'm interested in Black Topping my driveway can anybody recommend a contractor in the Bushkill area....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 09:21 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
How long is your driveway? Do you own a snow plow or a garden tractor with a plow? Do you own a garden rake? Possibly you could do it yourself and save big bucks.

I did a driveway of mine years ago with cold patch and it held up for years. It wasn’t that difficult. You call up one of the asphalt plants and ask who they would recommend to haul your pavement. Most drivers are good at tailgating (they can spread the load out pretty good) the asphalt. Of course; you have to do the math to see how much you need. You also need a good crushed rock base (maybe you have that already)? The plow comes in to push around any excess. You just need to rent a roller from a rental store (hopefully; you have a pickup with a hitch that can haul it back home). Cold patch does not set up quick. It gives you time to plow or rake it where you need it. The biggest problem with cold patch is that you can track tar into the house after you are done. You have to sand it with a seed/fertilizer spreader to help it dry out. It doesn’t take a lot of sand.

I had a commercial business that I did this way years ago. It held up great and it was only a fraction of the cost of the hot asphalt. It might not hold up as good as the hot stuff on a steep grade?

One note: wear old boots because you will probably never use them again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania