Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 04:51 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
I agree to an extent. I think in a crowded public pool where you have toddlers and teenagers you need to be nearly on top of the kids. If you are at a backyard pool or a hotel pool where there are lots less people you don't need to be a helicopter parent
Accidents happen quickly. None of us are perfect and none of us watch our children 24/7. Just happens most of us are lucky that most accidents aren't fatal or even serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 05:55 PM

513 posts, read 1,079,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Accidents happen quickly. None of us are perfect and none of us watch our children 24/7. Just happens most of us are lucky that most accidents aren't fatal or even serious.

Mags, this feels like another occurence of you stating something inane, then fighting tooth and nail to support it. A 6 year old in any pool, needs to be watched by a parent or guardian, someone who is watching that kid, and that kid only (or small group of kids, not like the lifeguard who is charged with watching everyone in the pool). Now consider a crowded public pool, and the need goes up considerably, with the added factor of other excited kids in motion.
"The resort said in a statement that the boy was found under water and lifeguards were not able to resuscitate him."
You watch to try to prevent the accident which is not always possible, and to react to it quickly when it happens. How long would your child be underwater before you noticed, if you were watching. Now compare that to the story in Massachussetts last week, where a woman was under the water in a public pool for 2 days before anyone noticed, and then it was teenagers who snuck in at night when the pool was not crowded. This is just a good example of why, it is not the basis for my assertion.
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpps/news/inspector-failed-to-see-body-of-woman-at-bottom-of-massachusetts-pool-dpgonc-20110701-to-_13945187 (broken link)
Let go of this inane stance.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:57 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE_NePA View Post
Mags, this feels like another occurence of you stating something inane, then fighting tooth and nail to support it. A 6 year old in any pool, needs to be watched by a parent or guardian, someone who is watching that kid, and that kid only (or small group of kids, not like the lifeguard who is charged with watching everyone in the pool). Now consider a crowded public pool, and the need goes up considerably, with the added factor of other excited kids in motion. You watch to try to prevent the accident which is not always possible, and to react to it quickly when it happens.
Let go of this inane stance.
Do you expect anything else?

Old 07-07-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I agree with Gerania. I'll add that I am positive that these people notified their relatives and friends before saying anything on Facebook. And I'll ALSO add that it was the KNOEBEL'S page where almost everyone found out about the boy's passing.
Your positive? I didn't know you knew the family and who they called or didn't.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:16 PM

I was simply trying to head off the inevitable "Where were the parents?" inanity that almost always accompanies stories like this. If you feel my posts and/or threads are inane, feel free to ignore.

Yes, I'm positive they did because the boy attended the same school that my child does and we live in the same neighborhood. So, yes, I'm positive, LVN. I'm not so quick to denigrate grieving parents who I've never met either.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I was simply trying to head off the inevitable "Where were the parents?" inanity that almost always accompanies stories like this. If you feel my posts and/or threads are inane, feel free to ignore.

Yes, I'm positive they did because the boy attended the same school that my child does and we live in the same neighborhood. So, yes, I'm positive, LVN. I'm not so quick to denigrate grieving parents who I've never met either.
Very well said, and you are correct. However, I never denigrated tHe parents. I merely said I found it odd, that they were posting on Fb several hours after the kid died. Facebook would be the last thing on my mind if my kid died. Maybe its me and i'm just old fashioned.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:05 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I know this is news but it seems ghoulish to me to be discussing a little boys death on a forum and judging the parents. The bottom line is that a young child died and his family is forever changed. If it was due to their inattentiveness, that's going to be something that they will have to live with for the rest of their lives.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I know this is news but it seems ghoulish to me to be discussing a little boys death on a forum and judging the parents. The bottom line is that a young child died and his family is forever changed. If it was due to their inattentiveness, that's going to be something that they will have to live with for the rest of their lives.
You bring up an excellent point. But, is it anymore ghoulish than the non-stop discussion about Caylee/Casey Anthony ?

Old 07-07-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Very well said, and you are correct. However, I never denigrated tHe parents. I merely said I found it odd, that they were posting on Fb several hours after the kid died. Facebook would be the last thing on my mind if my kid died. Maybe its me and i'm just old fashioned.
I'm overly sensitive to this because of the connection we have to the family and victim. I don't know how I would react either.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
You bring up an excellent point. But, is it anymore ghoulish than the non-stop discussion about Caylee/Casey Anthony ?
No, I've engaged in that as well.

In any event, I just read on Facebook that one of the teachers at his school, Heights Murray, is collecting donations for the family on Monday at the school from 8 to 2. If anyone is interested I can PM them the address information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania