U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-23-2011, 05:25 AM

3,904 posts, read 2,348,350 times
I just wanted to point out that foliage isn’t always at the same time. A hot, long, dry summer can accelerate the time schedule.

The foliage might not be as spectacular; if triggered early. Recently we had a foliage that was triggered early by draught - but; this did not happen over large areas (it was localized). I had trees that just turned brown and lost their leaves.

I guess what I am saying is: Maybe check back on this thread later on and see what is happening. Especially if the foliage is the most important reason to visit.

My favorite foliage is in upstate NY, VT, NH and MA. But; I was a trucker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-23-2011, 11:20 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,788,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I just wanted to point out that foliage isnít always at the same time. A hot, long, dry summer can accelerate the time schedule.

The foliage might not be as spectacular; if triggered early. Recently we had a foliage that was triggered early by draught - but; this did not happen over large areas (it was localized). I had trees that just turned brown and lost their leaves.

I guess what I am saying is: Maybe check back on this thread later on and see what is happening. Especially if the foliage is the most important reason to visit.

My favorite foliage is in upstate NY, VT, NH and MA. But; I was a trucker.
Foliage is nothing you can ever count on. The past 2 years in Tioga County it's been really good and then there have been other times it's been pretty lame or often what can happen is a storm comes along and strips all the leaves off. I've been here in the fall since 2004 and full time from 2007 and for instance I remember in 2006 it rained a lot all October and that nuked the foliage.

All highly variable. All I think you can do is plan to go and just roll with whatever is handed to you.

Unread 07-23-2011, 12:00 PM

19,981 posts, read 13,299,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunkmonky View Post
a trip on the Narrows (Falls to Scranton via pittston going around Campbells Ledge),
The road along the river from Falls to Ransom has been closed to car traffic, not sure if it's open to bicycling. The last time I took ride along there with a car a few years ago it was heavily strewn with garbage which I'd assume is why it was closed. Garbage was always a problem along that road but it was a ridiculous amount. Don't know what it looks like now but I'd guess it wouldn't be a very pleasant ride.

Unread 07-25-2011, 08:04 AM

48 posts, read 37,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The road along the river from Falls to Ransom has been closed to car traffic, not sure if it's open to bicycling. The last time I took ride along there with a car a few years ago it was heavily strewn with garbage which I'd assume is why it was closed. Garbage was always a problem along that road but it was a ridiculous amount. Don't know what it looks like now but I'd guess it wouldn't be a very pleasant ride.

I always used to see old appliances thrown out over the side of the road when I was a kid in Falls. That road was barely serviceable at any point so I'm not too suprised. I think it will always be 'open' enough for a pickup truck to get down it one-way as an access to the railroad tracks or if not, probably wide enough for a quad to run down it as I'm sure they will disregard the closed road signage. But, thank you for the heads up, I'll make sure to plan an alternative route just in case it's impassable.

I remember once I rode my mountainbike down that road and when I popped up into Ransom there was a van marked for picking up kids from school (it was about a half hour before school let out) sitting on the side of the narrows and the driver was smoking a joint with someone else to gear up for the trip. Busted! I suprised them pretty good rolling up on a bike.

Unread 07-25-2011, 09:13 AM

19,981 posts, read 13,299,443 times
Quote:
I always used to see old appliances thrown out over the side of the road when I was a kid in Falls.
Like I said it's been while but it wasn't just a few appliances. There was mounds of household garbage and construction debris. Again I would suspect it wouldn't be a very pleasant ride.

Unread 07-25-2011, 10:23 AM

48 posts, read 37,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Like I said it's been while but it wasn't just a few appliances. There was mounds of household garbage and construction debris. Again I would suspect it wouldn't be a very pleasant ride.

I was always afraid I'd find a body out there one day. Or, that I'd see the body be dumped and become the second body.

The only reason I ever really took the narrows was to avoid 92 traffic. It's trade offs. Ride the narrows with it's grodiness or ride 92 and have 18 wheelers pass you at 45mph feet from your elbows. As long as I had adequate flat tire gear with me, the narrows was usually not so bad. In off peak times of day 92 was never a big deal, but if it's 2:00 when you start on 92, and you ride it for an hour, you hit afterschool traffic before it's all done. I usually opted to add a few miles to the trip and take the narrows. Once I had a flat on 92 and had to ride several hundred feet to get somplace I could actually pull over (harding boat launch). Ruined that tire.

Also, some of the abandoned stuff can be fun. I poked my head in the abandoned quarry? I think that's what it was. The sand plant maybe? I don't remember exactly what it was but there was hangar type building I think the township used to rent for storing the salt truck in falls. Probably shouldn't have been back there.

Unread 07-25-2011, 10:51 AM

7,940 posts, read 8,685,530 times
Quote:
And last but not least, I'll be well within range of the Pizza district (Old Forge). Which is the best? (jumps out of the way)
Personally, I think Revello's is the best in OF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania