Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Popular NFL Team in NEPA
NY Giants 1 3.57%
Eagles 15 53.57%
Jets 0 0%
Steelers 10 35.71%
Don't Know 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 07:45 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,438,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I know lots of people who root for teams from different cities...I know Phillies/Giants fans, Yankees/Eagles fans, Eagles/Mets, Steelers/Yankees etc etc etc. That happens a lot with being equidistant to NY and Philly.
Those people are not self-respecting sports fans.
Usually you root for a team because
1) Local
2) Bandwagon

So if somebody in CA likes the Steelers, well they are a bandwagoner.
If somebody in NEPA though likes the Steelers and Phillies, then justifies it by saying they are the "local" team, sorry that's non sense.
I hate selective bandwagoners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Once again, same distance to Philly, and Philly is an easier drive from here, less traffic down the NE Extension than there is on I-80 in NJ. And, like I said, the Eagles are on TV here every week, the Giants are not, which will lead to more Eagles fans.
But it is easier to get the exurbs of NY (which arguably NEPA is) or greater NY region in NJ than it is the Philly region.
Furthermore, NY is MUCH bigger than Philly so all things the same, NY would win an equidistant influence contest because the city gravity models shows NY has more.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I'd say its 1. Pens 2. Flyers 3. Rangers after that there's probably a smattering of Devils/Islanders fans around. The Flyers (CSN), Pens (FSN Pitt), and Devils (YES) are the only teams available regularly on TV here.

The NBA doesn't seem huge here, but I'd say its probably an even mix of Sixers, Knicks, and Celtics, along with some bandwagon Lakers fans. Never met a Nets fan.

I'm from Scranton, so I'm commenting on what I know from the Scranton/WB area. The Poconos have more NY transplants, so that area probably is heavier on NY fans than Philly/Pitt fans.
Devils are not on YES, they are on MSG.

Have the Pens always been big in NEPA or just recently?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:48 PM

So let me ask, are most NEPA "fans" mixers (NY one sport, PIT the other, PHI the other) or do most have self-respect and go for one city, not a la carte choosing which team is most "convenient" locally.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:00 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Have the Pens always been big in NEPA or just recently?
The Pens were almost unheard of in NEPA before the AHL Pens came here 12 years ago, they built up a following since then. This really wasn't a big hockey area before we had a team....its gotten big since then, with youth and high school leagues sprouting up.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Devils are not on YES, they are on MSG.
Oh OK...I believe the Devils were on YES at one point. You can only get MSG (and SNY) on satellite here. I have CSN-Philly, Root Sports (Pittsburgh), and YES on cable.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
1) Local
2) Bandwagon

If somebody in NEPA though likes the Steelers and Phillies, then justifies it by saying they are the "local" team, sorry that's non sense.
That's total BS...I think you spend way too much time analyzing why people root for certain teams. I have a friend from this area who is a Detroit Lions fan, because he was a big Barry Sanders fan as a kid. You can hardly call a Detroit stinkin' Lions fan a bandwagoner, and even long after Sanders retired, he's still a fan. Even Dallas Cowboys fans...they may have started as a bandwagon fan, but if they're still a fan even after a decade and a half of winning nothing, then you can hardly call them a bandwagon fan anymore. Even myself, I'm in my mid 30s, have been an Eagles fan since I was a kid, but now hate the Eagles because of some personnel moves they've made, especially making sociopath Mike Vick the face of the franchise....I now find myself rooting for the Cardinals and Vikings because, one I want to see Kevin Kolb succeed, and Donovan McNabb is one of my all-time favorite players. You can hardly call someone cheering for two teams that had losing records last season as a bandwagon fan.

Being a bandwagon fan has nothing to do with how far someone lives from a team....a bandwagon fan is one who doesn't really follow the team or the sport unless they're winning. And if you have to root for a local team in order to not be a bandwagon fan, what do you call someone who lives somewhere like Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, etc, where there are no pro teams anywhere close?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
Steelers, Giants or a closet Cowgirls fan?
Nope...lifelong Eagles fan until they made a sociopath animal abuser and herpes-spreader the face of the franchise.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:48 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Sorry, doesn't make sense, you are a bandwagoner who is not a self-respected sports fan.

Most of the Steeler fans I know I have been fans for life.

Did you know during WW2 the Eagles and the Steelers merged to form the "Steagles", why do you think that is when NY teams would have been closer?

Old 07-29-2011, 03:47 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
You want to root for the Steelers, go ahead, but just be honest and say it's because they have 6 super bowls, don't try and use the state as justification. Doesn't work when you are that much further away.
All the Steeler fans I now in NEPA liked the team going back to the 60's long before they even won their first Superbowl in '74, and probably way before you were even born!

Quote:
1) Local
2) Bandwagon

That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard! Please walk away from the crack pipe immediately, for your safety and for those on this message board!!!

(I guess you should tell CBS that the Steelers are not a local team in NEPA, since that's our "local" AFC team they show week in and week out, NOT the Jets. And it's been that way since they started broadcasting games.)

Last edited by cjseliga; 07-29-2011 at 04:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania