Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 05:35 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,464,620 times

Advertisements

I hope everyone is safe and you all are in my prayers!

I hear the Forty Fort levees have problems and at Wilkes-Barre's Kirby Park there are some leaks/boils in the levees. Let's all pray the dikes hold and the river recedes rapidly.

Unfortunately I see West Pittston has flooded pretty badly.

The river crested at 42.66 feet(before the gauges broke)....surpassing the previous record from Hurricane Agnes.

An Angel to watch over all those affected>>>>>

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 05:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 07:34 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,256,142 times
Very kind words. The people of the Wyoming Valley are in my prays tonight. God bless everyone affected by this flood

Old 09-09-2011, 11:37 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,464,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Very kind words. The people of the Wyoming Valley are in my prays tonight. God bless everyone affected by this flood
Though the water level was higher than Agnes...the damage seems less severe and hopefully no loss of life like in 1972.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:11 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,909,904 times
Thanks for the good thoughts. I'm riding out the evacuation at my youngest son's home in West Wyoming.

Yes. West Pittston was hard hit, but so, too, were many communities upstream and along the West Branch. The levee in Forty Fort seems to have been repaired at two places where trouble developed and at this time, seems to be okay.

WBRE has had continuous coverage since they were evacuated from their Wilkes-Barre facility and are using Fox studios on Rte. 315 so they currently have no network feed. Much of it is repetition, but they are live on air and capable of bringing us any breaking news immediately it occurs.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:05 PM

811 posts, read 1,382,382 times
We live in Duryea. Had almost 8ft of water 1st floor and lost everything. It's hard to keep it together. We're exhausted/

Old 09-15-2011, 07:12 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,863,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa3 View Post
We live in Duryea. Had almost 8ft of water 1st floor and lost everything. It's hard to keep it together. We're exhausted/
My family and I lost a 4000 sq foot home and and most of the contents a year and a half ago to fire, another home on the same lot that didn't burn was flooded in this event. It's the little house to the left, you can still see the heat damage from the fire. The lot in front of it was where the other house stood.

The water was up to the door handle on the front door. Fortunately it was unoccupied, we were using it for storage for some of the items from the fire. We were able to get everything out or too the second floor except the top to my deceased Grandmothers hutch. We had put it on the top of the kitchen counter even taking out part of the ceiling so it would fit, it was driving me nuts the entire time this was going on. It survived but just by inches, there was water in the drawer just below it.

I most certainly can relate to what you or anyone else is going through. I asked my former neighbor yesterday how he was getting along and he said he doesn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. The initial shock and haze that you were in is probably wearing off now and and an overwhelming reality is setting in. It's tough and what I can tell you is it gets better every day from now on, there is a light at the end of tunnel. Just keep at it and try not to let it get you down.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:20 AM

3,761 posts, read 2,253,025 times
Geez, this is bad. My prayers go out to all of you. Sometimes you think you have it bad until something like this happens.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,271,446 times
Default A case of You-Take-It

Actually, this time arond, Bloomsburg got a crest that beats everything for nearly 110 years; the Bloomsbug Fair, which is the largest in the state (in lieu of a state fair, Pensylvania has the State Farm Show in Harrisburg, in January when the pressure is off.) had to be cancelled. The reason cited was liability ... it's still basically a collection of "eating stands" run by church groups and the like, but the entertainment has resulted in a pretty ice cash flow to the Fair Association itself ... and that draws "legal vultures".

Now that the higher dikes spared Wilkes-Barre, some of the communities nearby, plus Bloomsburg, are planning to lobby for their own levees. Next time around, that could divert more water to Shickshinny (probably too small, and alrady hit so many times, to mandate protection), Danville, Sunbury (has 10-12 ft floodwall, but that is not the guarantee it once was) and Nescopeck, where I live.

The river crested its banks and got into some low-lying sections of Nescopeck. I live perhaps a dozen feet above that, three blocks away. Probably time to look into flood insurance which, I'm told, will likely get closer scrutiny and a rate hike.

There has also been a low-key movement to dredge the river for many years. Some of the very old in these parts can recall when coal was dredged from the silt and sold, and I can recall a couple of abandonded dredges moored opposite Wapwallopen as late as the mid-1960's.

And the politics might get interesting, since for the first time in at least seventy years, our Congressman is not a native of the Wyoming Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania