Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:41 AM

10 posts, read 33,966 times

Advertisements

These questions go out to the longtime homeowners, the investors, and the vacationers of the Poconos... My husband and I are thinking about buying an investment/vacation home in the Poconos. There are many foreclosures at this time. In trying to research areas/communities I'm getting overwhelmed! What is the scoop on SAFE communities? I read that you should avoid Bushkill, Tobyhanna, and some others that are supposedly known for gangs and crime. Is it better to be in a gated community or a municipality governed by a police force? And... as a positive instead, what IS a good location then?? If you could list the BEST areas or communities, what would they be? We have a young child and safety is our number one concern. I appreciate all information and opinions given. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 12:46 PM

234 posts, read 939,906 times
I live here in the Poconos year-round, but I started as a weekender.

Just like you, we bought our house here as a combination investment and getaway. There are tons of bargains right now. The number of foreclosures on the market is keeping the prices down (just like everywhere else).

You asked for opinions, so that is what I will offer, even though I am confident that some others will be upset.

First, I would stay away from Monroe County like the plague - period! High taxes, crime problems, stuff like that.

I would advise you to limit your search to Pike and Wayne Counties (the northern end of the Poconos).

The question of whether or not to go into a gated community is very personal, and I have some good friends who would rather live in a refrigerator box under an overpass than in a gated community. I disagree.

A low crime rate doesn't mean no crime at all. If you aren't going to be a full-time resident, you have to understand that even in a low-crime area your empty home becomes an attractive target to someone who is down on his luck. That's why when I was looking for a vacation/investment home I chose a gated community with a private police force. We were weekenders for about 3 1/2 years, and never had a problem, even though I forgot to lock my doors one or two times.

In Wayne County, The Hideout in Lake Ariel is nice. I have been there, and I can recommend it.

Lake Walenpaupack is in both Wayne and Pike Counties, and there are a few private communities around the lake. I haven't been into any of them, but from what I hear, they are pretty nice. In fact, in some of them a lakefront home can edge up close to the $1 million mark.

In Pike County, there is Hemlock Farms and Conashaugh Lakes. Both nice.

I live in Hemlock Farms, and for me it is perfect. Of course, there will always be some people who will have a problem with individual communities but after living here for almost 10 years now, the only valid criticism that I am aware of is that there may not be enough activities for your kid(s) during the summer. The safety factor is probably the best in the area.

Conashaugh is nice, and I don't think that you could go wrong buying there, but I don't know anything about activities for kids. I do know that Tyler Mathisen has a place there. News Headlines

Did I leave anything out? If you have any more questions, just ask.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:05 PM

I forgot to add another private community.

If you have a ton of money, then Woodloch may be right for you.

It costs a lot to live there, but if you have the cash it might be worth it to you. I can't give you a personal recommendation because I have never been inside of the place. Anyone who I meet who knows someone who lives there tells me that it is really beautiful but that if you aren't already a millionaire, don't even ask.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-08-2011 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Links to realors are not allowed

Old 10-05-2011, 01:19 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplmom View Post
These questions go out to the longtime homeowners, the investors, and the vacationers of the Poconos... My husband and I are thinking about buying an investment/vacation home in the Poconos. There are many foreclosures at this time. In trying to research areas/communities I'm getting overwhelmed! What is the scoop on SAFE communities? I read that you should avoid Bushkill, Tobyhanna, and some others that are supposedly known for gangs and crime. Is it better to be in a gated community or a municipality governed by a police force? And... as a positive instead, what IS a good location then?? If you could list the BEST areas or communities, what would they be? We have a young child and safety is our number one concern. I appreciate all information and opinions given. Thank you.
we bought a cabin in wayne county a year ago. We are weekenders. so far so good, i really like it and the fishing is fantastic. so far no crime although i heard rumors of some break-ins. i would imagine break-ins can happen almost anywhere. i wouldn't hesitate to do it again although it's only been a year.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:00 PM

3,963 posts, read 2,352,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJexpat View Post
I forgot to add another private community.

If you have a ton of money, then Woodloch may be right for you.

It costs a lot to live there, but if you have the cash it might be worth it to you. I can't give you a personal recommendation because I have never been inside of the place. Anyone who I meet who knows someone who lives there tells me that it is really beautiful but that if you aren't already a millionaire, don't even ask.
WOW!!! I need to start playing the lottery, lol. Anyway, just out of curiosity, what school district is Woodloch in?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-08-2011 at 05:42 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 02:46 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
We should have just a little more information from the OP. Like; do you plan to commute? Or do you or will you have times you have to travel out of state and where do you have to go? Would you be happy in the sticks? Do you want to be next to shopping and entertainment?

I have lived in Monroe for over sixty years. I live next, but not in, three developments. Because of our rising school taxes and traffic - I would not recommend Monroe. But; it depends on your requirements.

Woodloch is listed as in Hawley - which is in Wayne County. That would be a long ride if you plan on commuting to the city. However; the cost of living is (in general) less for both Wayne and Pike Counties.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:56 PM

889 posts, read 2,574,966 times
Whenever I hear gated community in the Poconos, I think of the analogy of taking a shower with a raincoat on. Maybe it's just, but I don't understand why anyone would want to do that.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
WOW!!! I need to start playing the lottery, lol. Anyway, just out of curiosity, what school district is Woodloch in?
I will take a guess that it is in The Walenpaupack Area School District, but that's just a guess from looking at the address.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
Whenever I hear gated community in the Poconos, I think of the analogy of taking a shower with a raincoat on. Maybe it's just, but I don't understand why anyone would want to do that.
Well, for one thing, you never have to worry about distant relatives who show up at your door because they just happened to be in the area. And they just happen to have a week's worth of clothing in the trunk of their car. And their two noisy kids. And their two noisy dogs. And one of the kids has a cold. And one of the dogs leaves a warm gift on your new carpet.

For another, you don't have people coming to your door who insist upon telling you about their personal experience with Jesus.

Less worry about crime (IF you pick the right community - there are a few bad ones).

You aren't isolated from nature, or from anything other than the above noted annoyances. Animals don't know about private property, and my community has more trees than some of the "outside" areas nearby.

You aren't separated from the community. My neighbors are the community.

And, that's just what comes to mind immediately.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:36 PM

889 posts, read 2,574,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJexpat View Post
Well, for one thing, you never have to worry about distant relatives who show up at your door because they just happened to be in the area. And they just happen to have a week's worth of clothing in the trunk of their car. And their two noisy kids. And their two noisy dogs. And one of the kids has a cold. And one of the dogs leaves a warm gift on your new carpet.

For another, you don't have people coming to your door who insist upon telling you about their personal experience with Jesus.

Less worry about crime (IF you pick the right community - there are a few bad ones).
Oh the horror. How is it possible that all the people living in the long established towns and villages ever survived through all that.

> You aren't separated from the community. My neighbors are the community.
It still strikes me that if you're in a gated community, you're in a bubble. Yes, you have neighbors, and they're right there in the bubble with you.

I truly don't get it. You're walling yourself off from the small town, simpler, slower moving pace of life that you moved to the 'mountains' to attain. Assuming that is you you moved. Looking at it another way, do you ever hear of or see people who are from the region (born and raised, etc.) move into a gated community? For example to get away from the small towns and villages, or to give up a home along a back road a few miles from civilization? No. It's only people who move into the area from the denser urban cores to the east who do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania